Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback or Revolution 13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first kayak. I have previously owned many different fishing boats; but because the Navy likes to move us around every couple years, we figured a kayak would be better.

I have narrowed the models down to, the outback and Revolution 13 as I stated in the subject line. I am 6'3' and about 175-180lbs. I will be using it to FISH in lakes, bays, and offshore (not as often). I have read about offshore debates between the outback and revo, and it seems to me that the revo wins the debate.

I think the bases for the win, was that the revo is more suited for open water because of the hull design. The outback is wider which in my mind would make it more stable? But others have said that the revo's stability is just fine in open water and does better because of the handling and speed...?

Something else worth mentioning:
At my local shop they have a 2012 demo Revolution 13 on sale for $1650 vs. $1899 retail. If I was to choose the Outback I would be paying full retail $1899. The price difference is clouding my judgment and is making me lean to the revo.

PLEASE HELP!!

Post pictures of your fishing set ups for both platforms, and maybe that will help my decision. I talked to another sales guy at a shop and he said that the outback is set up more for fishing than the revo. On most days I will have 4 or five poles, one medium sized tackel box, a small cooler and a fish bucket. All of which I think will fit behind the seat of either kayak.I will use this 80% of the time for fishing and the other 20% ill putput around with my wife.

Thanks for all of your help.

Franklin

EDIT

The Navy also helped me narrow my decision because I have to have a kayak under 14'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try the PA12. I'm also 6'3" and discovered the outback was way to short for me during a test run. Sitting so close cramped my legs with the mirage drive within 30 minutes. I have a PA14 and can get the full stride. I can ride for 6+ hours in the PA and not cramp up. If you have under 14' because of PCS moves, consider a PA14 and taking off the front and back handles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When spending this much money, don't let a couple hundred bucks cloud your decision process.

Both are fantastic fishing platforms. For me, the only differences are that the Outback is more stable and the Revo is faster/better tracking. You can't go wrong with either.

As a tie breaker....... which one is the prettiest :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are a lot of posts on this forum about this debate. They always boil down to one thing, what each user prefers.

The Outback is the older of the two boats, so it's hull design is a generation behind the Revolution. It's very stable, but yes, the Revolution is a little bit faster. Neither of the boats is unstable.

If you have any chance to test them out, I would do that. We can each tell you our opinions of which one is best, but you'll have users that prefer completely opposite boats for exactly the same reasons.

ex: "The Outback is the better fishing platform" "No. The Revolution is the better fishing platform"

Both are great boats, my vote would be for the Revolution, but I don't fish at all, so I probably use a different set of criteria to evaluate a boat. I'm also a few inches shorter than you, and you may find that one boat has a little bit more room than the other.

If you like the Outback, but want more speed, you could always opt for the Turbo Fins, if price is the main determining factor, than buy the Revo. However, I agree with what was already posted. For the couple of hundred bucks difference, buy the boat you want. It's not worth buying the wrong boat for that much money. Very few Hobie Mirage drive boat owners regret spending the money after they have the right boat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gear junkie wrote:
Try the PA12. I'm also 6'3" and discovered the outback was way to short for me during a test run. Sitting so close cramped my legs with the mirage drive within 30 minutes. I have a PA14 and can get the full stride. I can ride for 6+ hours in the PA and not cramp up. If you have under 14' because of PCS moves, consider a PA14 and taking off the front and back handles.

I looked into the PA12 and PA14 but, my wife would probably make me sleep outside if I spent 2800-2900. She is already not happy I want to spend 1900-2000.

I would love a PA12 or 14 but..... My plan is to make her fall in love with my boat, then ill offer to let her have it and I will get my PA!!! 8)

I am trying to set up a demo on the outback and the revo, but my local shop will not allow it unless I have a dry suit. The water temp in VA is about 43 degrees right now, and they say a wetsuit will not be good enough.

Thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:
When spending this much money, don't let a couple hundred bucks cloud your decision process.

Both are fantastic fishing platforms. For me, the only differences are that the Outback is more stable and the Revo is faster/better tracking. You can't go wrong with either.

As a tie breaker....... which one is the prettiest :lol:

I agree! I just need to demo them both and just make the choice based on the experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

augaug wrote:
There are a lot of posts on this forum about this debate. They always boil down to one thing, what each user prefers.

The Outback is the older of the two boats, so it's hull design is a generation behind the Revolution. It's very stable, but yes, the Revolution is a little bit faster. Neither of the boats is unstable.

If you have any chance to test them out, I would do that. We can each tell you our opinions of which one is best, but you'll have users that prefer completely opposite boats for exactly the same reasons.

ex: "The Outback is the better fishing platform" "No. The Revolution is the better fishing platform"

Both are great boats, my vote would be for the Revolution, but I don't fish at all, so I probably use a different set of criteria to evaluate a boat. I'm also a few inches shorter than you, and you may find that one boat has a little bit more room than the other.

If you like the Outback, but want more speed, you could always opt for the Turbo Fins, if price is the main determining factor, than buy the Revo. However, I agree with what was already posted. For the couple of hundred bucks difference, buy the boat you want. It's not worth buying the wrong boat for that much money. Very few Hobie Mirage drive boat owners regret spending the money after they have the right boat.

Of course it will come down to the ride....... I just need to get in them and test them out. I need an all around yak and by reading through the forums, either boat could work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frnklwrnr wrote:
I looked into the PA12 and PA14 but, my wife would probably make me sleep outside if I spent 2800-2900. She is already not happy I want to spend 1900-2000.

I would love a PA12 or 14 but..... My plan is to make her fall in love with my boat, then ill offer to let her have it and I will get my PA!!!

I you are serious about this, you might want to involve your wife a little earlier in the process. My wife loved her Revolution 13 but didn't like the Outback at all. Nothing wrong with the boat, she just didn't like it nearly as much as she liked the Revo.

You could also consider looking for a used PA if price is a factor, but that's the boat that you really want.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

augaug wrote:
frnklwrnr wrote:

I would love a PA12 or 14 but..... My plan is to make her fall in love with my boat, then ill offer to let her have it and I will get my PA!!!

I you are serious about this, you might want to involve your wife a little earlier in the process. My wife loved her Revolution 13 but didn't like the Outback at all. Nothing wrong with the boat, she just didn't like it nearly as much as she liked the Revo.

You could also consider looking for a used PA if price is a factor, but that's the boat that you really want.

Once I do the demo, she will be there to try as well. I have not found any used Hobie kayaks in my area.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 4 rod holders, wide cockpit, and stable nature of the Outback make it a favorite in the frequent "Outback Vs. Revolution" discussion. Over on Florida Sportsman we just had somebody do this discussion and ended up with the Outback.

As a Revo owner I'm still partial to its speed, and bow shape that cuts through the waves on surf launch days, although that doesn't sound like a concern for you. In the end all I can say is try before you buy and good luck!

Dear Hobie, if you redesign the Outback with a convex front hatch instead of a concave one (and a bit sharper on the bow angle) so it doesnt funnel water into cockpit in rough surf launches AND make it a bit lighter, I will buy one.
Sincerely...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fish out of an Outback and it has been a great kayak. It is very stable - I can stand in it. I usually stand right in front of the seat, with a foot on either side of the center hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Elgeebee wrote:
I fish out of an Outback and it has been a great kayak. It is very stable - I can stand in it. I usually stand right in front of the seat, with a foot on either side of the center hatch.

I am having a heck of a time getting the shop to allow me to demo because of the water temp. I want one now! But.... I cant buy without trying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wouldn't rush it - If you are having concerns about either kayak, I'd wait to try both out before you throw down your cash...

Nothing like buying something, then having regrets later - been there done that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Elgeebee wrote:
I wouldn't rush it - If you are having concerns about either kayak, I'd wait to try both out before you throw down your cash...

Nothing like buying something, then having regrets later - been there done that!

I will try both before buying for sure. Its only $40 to try out both for 30min. I can add a third for $10 and another 15min. I just want to see how stable and fast they are on the water. I gotta say the more videos I watch i like the outback's width because it gives you those platforms on either side.

I have also been looking around craigslist for both of these, and found that I can pick one up for around 1200-1400 only a year old. Of course they all have to be 3-4 hours from me.... Not sure if its worth not having a warranty?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like I am going to demo the outback and revo 13 on Sunday!