Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chevy Sonic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a roof rack for a chevy sonic to haul around the PA 12? I am ready to pull the trigger and buy the PA 12, but my small car makes me have doubts because of the weight. Any advise will help.

Post subject: Re: Chevy Sonic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Ford Focus with a Yakima base system. I used the Landing Pads and hard mounted the towers to the roof with bolts. It's really secure and looks good as well. I use the Yakima Mako Aero saddles to support the PA 12 but the folks at the kayak shop said that the boat could be placed right onto the bars without using saddles. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I went with the saddles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakima or Thule rack systems are probably the best on the market. Installed correctly, they grip the top of a car very well.

There are a few problems with transporting a PA. First of all, a lot of rack systems will limit the weight that can be carried on them to about 110 lbs which happens to be the stripped down weight of a PA 14. The PA 12 that you're looking at would be better, so that's good.

The second problem with putting any boat on top of any car is that it changes the centre of gravity of your car. Handling is affected, and even the electronic stability control can be affected.

So it's important to be aware of that. It's not a huge factor in everyday driving, but if you have to swerve in an emergency, you could have issues. So leaving extra space, and driving defensively is a good idea.

Third, fuel mileage!

I can tow a 200 lb Hobie Bravo on a 300 lb trailer behind my car and get better fuel mileage than when I put a 90 lb Hobie Oasis on the roof of my car. I'm not sure if the Sonic can tow, but if it has even a 500 lb towing capacity, you could consider a trailer which would make for easier launching, secure transport, and better fuel economy.

If you decide to go the roof rack route, don't worry, lots of us have done that. I used to take a complete Adventure Island, and a Revolution on the roof of my Civic, and we never had any problems. That doesn't mean that everyone should do that, but there are secure ways to hold all of that weight, even on smaller vehicles.

I like the Yakima Mako saddles for our kayaks, but there may be better options for the Pro Angler. If you plan on carrying the boat upside down (as Hobie recommends) there are canoe holder type racks that help you hold the boat in place and strap them down.

My final piece of advice would be to NOT cheap out on a rack. When you're flying down the highway, you don't want to worry about a strap or clamp holding, you want peace of mind. Buy a good rack, and you'll use your boat all the time!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Certainly get yourself a top notch car rack system. However, don't count the roof rack to hold your kayak down on your vehicle.

I once saw a kayak fly off the top of a car with the roof rack attached :!: That's correct... they had tied to kayak down to the roof rack. When the rack seperated it remained tied down to the kayak.

ALWAYS use front and rear tie-downs which are attached to your vehicle not your rack.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My "rack" consists of four stainless steel handicap shower bars bolted through the roof of the cap on the pickup and on the pickup cab roof. I have no problem drilling holes in things. No amount of looks good will make up for a tiny bit of works good.

Some random Modification Pictures