Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking to buy a Hobie 16 in the next couple of weeks. I am going to look at a 2002 16 in the next couple of weeks.

My questions are

What standard equipment should be on a boat of this age? (should it have the Aussie jib halyard system and low profile main blocks for example)
What are the key areas on the boat I should inspect for damage?

The boat I am looking at is around a 5 hour drive away so I am also wonder if there is anything special I should do before driving it home? Should I take the rudders off for instance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It should definitely have low-profile blocks.

Inspect all the normal stuff- soft spots on hulls, signs of fiberglass repairs, dented, cracked, or heavily corroded aluminum componets, damage to the sails. There are numerous prior posts on this forum about what to look for in a used boat.

For a 5 hour drive home, I would also definitely ask the seller about the condition of the trailer and tires, the last time the trailer bearings were serviced, and whether the trailer lights work. The last thing you want on a long drive home is to have problems with the trailer.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response. The good news is the trailer has had the bearings replaced recently, comes with a spare wheel and has just had all the lights replaced. Otherwise I would not even bother driving to look :)

I have also asked for him to rig it up when I get there so I can check everything out.

The boat also has one of those foam float things at the top of the mast. Are these easily removable? We plan on racing and I don't want the other kids making fun of me :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a good article on what to look for in many different used cats, including H16
http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I bought a 2003 16 this week and took it for a sail today. We have lots to learn still but are having fun. Something interesting I noticed is that all the Hobie 16s at my club have full aluminium masts. There are no comptip masts even on brand new boats. Anyone know why this is?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

waheed wrote:
Well I bought a 2003 16 this week and took it for a sail today. We have lots to learn still but are having fun. Something interesting I noticed is that all the Hobie 16s at my club have full aluminium masts. There are no comptip masts even on brand new boats. Anyone know why this is?

Comptips are a North American thing. They are the result of a wrongful death lawsuit filed in the early '80s - a person was killed when their all-aluminum mast contacted a power line. Since 1985, all 14s, 16s and 18s have been sold with Comptips and there was an aggressive retrofit program established for the boats without them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For anyone interested we have done a bit of sailing on our new boat. Here is a vid

http://youtu.be/rnNDPIBhCeQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waheed,
Great video...did not watch all the way....try this:
Work with your crew to FOCUS your combined weight/mass in one spot.
Looks like the crew were too far forward.
H16 will hobby-horse, especially when beating.

When single trapping, the back of the one on the rail should be cushioning the knees of the one on the wire.
Also, suggest to crew that they NOT step on the deck....you'll end up with delamination. Step on the rail.
Depending on crew's arm strength, they can set and leave the jib, and work the traveler. Requires LOTS of coordination.

Sitting here at minus 8C, with snow outside, wow was I jealous.
Go, have fun, enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips John.

We are working on keeping our weight closer together and balance in general. When single trapping who generally should be on the wire? Crew or Skipper?

The stepping on the deck is not a normal thing, she was just doing something silly and got stuck i think.

Do you mean have the crew work the main traveler? I have thought this might be a good idea, though on a reach the crew will have to work the jib yes?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

General Advice:

1. Milage (time on the water)
2. Speak with others, Hobie sailors are mostly very 'sharing' types of people.
3. Work with your/your crew's strengths...do what works for you.
4. The 'fore and aft' balance on a H16 is critical.
5. Read Bethwaite's book, Higher Performance Sailing II....read it slowly...pick
up his appreciation of the apparent wind, learn how to 'read' that wind.
6. Every 'move' on the boat should be planned and coordinated, as moving
around disturbs the trim of the Hobie.
7. See if you can pick up Rick White's Sailing Seminar DVD.....(Florida USA), I had to view 'the tack' 18 times before I really understood what he was doing. He also has a great book on racing drills.
8. Do some racing, club stuff, round the buoys, it really grows your skills.
9. Most of all, have fun and enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

waheed wrote:
When single trapping who generally should be on the wire? Crew or Skipper?

If there is a large difference in weight (like the skipper weighs 200lb and the crew weighs 100lb), then you put the person on the wire with the more appropriate weight for the given conditions.

If the skipper and crew are close in weight and/or the conditions are variable, then you arrange it such that the skipper doesn't have to be jumping in and out a lot. You want the skipper to either be on the rail or on the wire with the crew moving around to compensate for windspeed changes. The skipper can't steer efficiently if they have to move all over the place.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool video!! Can i get some advice please? I am about to purchase a used/raced 2001 Hobie 16 and was wondering if $4800 is a good price? New tramp, new jib sail, epo rudders, new Cunningham, new cams, extra practice set of sails and comes with trailer.. I enjoyed the video of your new boat btw!! I am brand new to the sport and my brother and I are hoping this boat will be worth the 8 hr drive to Fl this weekend!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips everyone, i plan on getting some books and spending time talking to the local sailors at my club. There are a few world champs in the fleet i believe so should be able to get lots of help.

PigPen - I am not sure I can comment on the price of the boat you are looking at as I am in Perth, Western Australia so I suspect the maket will be a lot different, but that being said if the boat is as you describe it sounds like it will be pretty good. Key thing to budget for will be replacing the standing rigging if you do not know how old it is as you don't want to lose your rig. Don't forget about the jib luff wire too!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HI waheed,if you are in Perth , make your way up to Nedlands Yacht Club (Swan River) and introduce yourself to Darren Smith and Gavin Colby. Those guys know what they are talking about. Also there is racing there every weekend with a big Hobie 16 Fleet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My boat is actually stored at Nedlands and we are members. Planning on racing on Sunday!