Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 am
Posts: 60
Location: Brick New Jersey
woodenhorse wrote:
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. I'm a firm believer in questions.....sure appreciate your patience. I'll check the threads you referenced and do as you say. I still don't see how adjusting at the rudder will rectify the levers being way out of alignment, but I haven't read the links yet. :D I'll give it a shot....if I need help tho, I'll be seeking some additional guidance for dummies like me. really hope to enjoy the Oasis and this forum.


Congrats on the new Oasis. Got mine in 2011 (1st year of the redesign) and it's a great vessel. Roadrunner and Stobbo have been a great help, and have given me idea's. We just took ours to the lower Fla. Key's and had a blast.

Couple of points. I'm 270lbs. and solo very often (from the back seat). Very stable platform, even when I put two legs over the same side to stay cool. Weekend warrior traffic even with the "NO WAKE" wakes that get thrown my way and it's still very stable. I suggest you practice self rescue for obvious reasons.

Ballast: There have been many suggestions from folks here. I found that for me, my best ballast solution was to get a SUMO SAC 125 used for wakboarding. http://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line ... c-125.html

I put mine far forward and use the bungee by the front hatch to secure it along with my wheels. It doesn't have to be full to obtain even ballast, maybe 3/4 full. The handles won't tear and it's very durable, just a suggestion.

Hauling: I have and really like Thule's Hullavator. It is easy on the back because it has 40 lbs. of lifting power which make a huge difference. Very cool, inovative design, plus it has a lifetime warranty. We used it on our Honda Pilot to go to the Key's, and even at 80 mph, you didn't even know it was there. Maybe a bit more wind noise but not bad at all.

Here's pic of it on my VW. It's usually on the VW most of the time, but the cradles come off all of the time when the kayak isn't on, and I just keep the rack rails on. By the way the cradles/arm mechanism is removable by taking out 1 pin on each one. We have locks integrated on the handle's to prevent theft. Love that thing! Enough of my enthusiasm, but it's great.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

I had rudder adjustment issues and my rear handle actually came off once, but the wife was there and she steered us back in. Dealer did the adjustments and no problems since. I didn't want to tackle it, but in the future I may based on the feedback from those such as Roadrunner and Stobbo.

My camera was stolen but I'll take some pics of my FF mount and rod holder if interested when I get another one.

One thing you may want to seriously consider doing if you plan on soloing is to put two additional grip handles on so you can lift the yak. The current grip handles are perfect IF there are two people lifting the yak, but they are spaced a bit far apart for one person. If you look at the kayak on the side of the car, you may be able to see a handle just behind the front seat area, and just in front of the black hatch in front of the rear seat area. That location gives me the balance I need to lift the kayak with even weight distribution allows me to lift to the cradles when I'm by myself.

Storage: I just bought a hoist system from Harken hoister http://www.hoister.com/productdetail.as ... &taxid=646. These kayaks are heavy and for me this is the best solution since there are close to 100 lbs. I'll be setting this up in the Spring. Shop it, I got mine for a bit less than the retail price. Outdoor Play had them I think.

In any case, you have a very safe, stable, fast, versatile and capable Hobie. My son lifeguards at Jenkinsons beach in Pt Pleasant NJ in the summer, and when he saw me off shore, some of the other lifeguards were wondering if "that" guy had a motor on it. Turbo fins are the way to go.
Enjoy your new kayak.

_________________
Tom

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Ontario, Canada
woodenhorse wrote:
Anxious to get this thing in water, but my wife is terrified of water.


I've skimmed this thread, so I may have missed more important questions or some responses, but I noticed this line quoted above.

You picked a great kayak for someone with this fear. My father in law REALLY doesn't like open water, but he liked going out on our Revolution 13 on his own, which shocked us. The Oasis is much more stable than even the Revo. Having a second person with you in the boat is also great. You can work to stabilize the boat, while providing reassurance from the same craft. Telling someone from another boat that their boat is fine, isn't nearly as reassuring as calmly communicating while sitting right next to the other person.

Most kayakers have to keep their hands on paddles, your wife will be able to keep two hands on the boat at all times, and even though it may be scary to take a big wave, your wife should know that the boat will not flip if this happens, the water will simply drain out as it's designed to do.

The Oasis is a fantastic boat to get when one person has a legitimate phobia. Fears are real, and should be respected, but a boat like the Oasis is a great boat to build confidence in.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:47 pm
Posts: 196
Another example of transporting right-side-up... is it really so bad?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 15
Tom,

Thanks much for the in depth info! All of ya'll are genuinely helpful and I certainly appreciate and respect that. 8) I haven't had a chance to do much to it yet, I have the mirage leashes installed and the little attachments hooked on them that reduces the water splash from them. I got a bowline and a bunch of caribners. Got one of those flotaing visipole II's with the American Flag that I can put in the rod holder behind the seat. Got a storm whistle and a throw bag with 50 feet of floating line. Got a Lowrance Mark4 fish finder and will mount the transducer inside the hull for a shoot through method. didn't get an install kit, and have been having trouble finding grommets or clam shell thingy's to put over wires I'll run into the kayak. I do have my spring creek stabilizers installed, hope the well nuts hold up, used 3m marine adhesive on them. Have since gotten some marine goop to use to mount the transducer. Still haven't gotten the kayak wet or sat in it yet. :(

I have a lunge bed extender that I use with my pick up for transport. I used zip ties and pool noodles to put padding on it and got some of those magnetic tow lights you use for towing cars and put them on the outsides of the extender and secured with zip ties as well, works really well.

My main issue is still the steering levers and rudder.....I'll try tackling that tomorrow. Guess I'll rig my video camera up to my pc and try to eyeball the connections and stuff, Wish me luck!!!!! :? Want to try to get it to the lake tomorrow afternoon or Sunday before the rain....may not be able to, but if I can get that steering adjusted right, I'm headed to the lake!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:13 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 15
Augaug, thanks for the info! Her fear is definitely real.....I look forward to it subsiding some once she is in it and feels it. Probably will take quite a few trips to do that though. Thanks for the info on the ballast and the links guys!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 15
Well, I got the vid camera hooked to a small tv and eyeballed the inside of the kayak. When the front and back lever arms inside the kayak were perpendicular to the side (at right angle, the lever handles that you hold were way out of alignment. I pulled the top off them and used the allen wrench to remove the lever handles and the shafts of the levers were not drilled in sync. There is no way to align them so I can get full usage of the levers in sync. I adjusted it back at the rudder as best as I could which should give me more turning, but one way will always be better than the other way. Didn't have a chance to take her out on Sunday as the winds were blowing steadily at 28 mph and had higher gusts. I was game, but the wife wasn't. :( Weather should be amenable this coming weekend to taker her out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:17 pm
Posts: 505
Location: Auckland NZ
Try transporting your boat right side up and stern first. That way your rudder won't flail about at speed if you forget to bungee it, you can leave the seats in and you can fill the kayak up with gear like a top box including transporting heavier items under the bungees in the stowage deck.... Works for me :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 2387
Location: Escondido
A dab of Loctite Blue thread locker will keep those rudder control levers from loosening and disconnecting eventually. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Virginia - USA
And there is no Hobie dealer close enough to take it and get the rudder controls fixed correctly on your new boat? Might be worth calling Hobie. Bob

_________________
Bob
2013 Oasis w/ Sail
Virginia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thanks, Stobbo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:44 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Posts: 409
Thanks for posting this. I asked the question re transporting our Oasis right side up and stern first a few months ago for short trips, and never got an answer.

I currently do this with my Freedom Hawks and leave the seat in the yak before, during and the trip home. It makes life a lot easier. If I have a spotter on the ramp, I can back my Ridgeline down to the water line and unload the yak into the water, then load it with the heavy gear, rods and etc. Then shove off with the bow in the water.

When we get into Oasis time/warmer water/weather for my wife, we can try this with our Oasis in the back of my Ridgeline PU and load extender. Then, we will only need our trailer to store our Oasis between trips. Of course it will be upside down for storage between trips.

stobbo wrote:
Try transporting your boat right side up and stern first. That way your rudder won't flail about at speed if you forget to bungee it, you can leave the seats in and you can fill the kayak up with gear like a top box including transporting heavier items under the bungees in the stowage deck.... Works for me :)

_________________
2009 Oasis
2010 Freedom Hawk 12
2012 Freedom Hawk Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:29 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 15
Well, finally got a chance to take her out in the bayou down near Ocean Springs, MS......she worked like a champ. My wife was really nervous getting in it, I basically stood in the water and picked her up off the dock and put her in the kayak. She was nervous at seeing the water in the mirage will below the pedals, but once we were underway, she shed her fears and enjoyed seeing the wildlife. My daughter and her husband were in their bass boat and after about an hour, we met up with them in the middle of the bayou and my wife and daughter swapped places. I was completely surprised my wife did it, but he kayak is extremely stable with the spring creek stabilizers on it. The kayak clipped along at a nice pace with the standard mirage drive fins.... they couldn't see us when we went behind the reeds though, my flag isn't high enough, I have it stuck in one of the fishing rod holders behind the rear seat. Really enjoyable trip. It did fine turning both directions, so I guess I can live with the steering knobs as they are now. It'll take me a little more time and experience to get the loading and unloading more efficient, but I was pleased with the whole thing. The kayak rode fine upright in my lunge bed extender rig (i have it wrapped in pool noodles and have magneting towing lights sticking out the sides, held on by zip ties.......worked great) If you have a pickup, I highly recommend the lunge bed extender, very well made. Really love the Oasis!!!!!!!! Thanks all for your help, look forward to more of it as we go!!! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Ontario, Canada
woodenhorse wrote:
My wife was really nervous getting in it, I basically stood in the water and picked her up off the dock and put her in the kayak. She was nervous at seeing the water in the mirage will below the pedals, but once we were underway, she shed her fears and enjoyed seeing the wildlife. My daughter and her husband were in their bass boat and after about an hour, we met up with them in the middle of the bayou and my wife and daughter swapped places. I was completely surprised


Awesome! Great to hear!

Glad you're enjoying the boat! The Oasis is a great way to spend some time with the ones you love, so I'm really glad that your wife enjoyed herself, and that you also got to take your daughter out for a bit.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 15
augaug wrote:
woodenhorse wrote:
My wife was really nervous getting in it, I basically stood in the water and picked her up off the dock and put her in the kayak. She was nervous at seeing the water in the mirage will below the pedals, but once we were underway, she shed her fears and enjoyed seeing the wildlife. My daughter and her husband were in their bass boat and after about an hour, we met up with them in the middle of the bayou and my wife and daughter swapped places. I was completely surprised


Awesome! Great to hear!

Glad you're enjoying the boat! The Oasis is a great way to spend some time with the ones you love, so I'm really glad that your wife enjoyed herself, and that you also got to take your daughter out for a bit.


Thanks, here's a pic of when we picked it up at the dealer....you can see my lunge bed extender that I rigged to carry it.
http://bentbikeman.smugmug.com/Photos/C ... &k=XMW2XZ6

Appreciate your help and guidance!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Virginia - USA
woodenhorse wrote:
augaug wrote:
woodenhorse wrote:
My wife was really nervous getting in it, I basically stood in the water and picked her up off the dock and put her in the kayak. She was nervous at seeing the water in the mirage will below the pedals, but once we were underway, she shed her fears and enjoyed seeing the wildlife. My daughter and her husband were in their bass boat and after about an hour, we met up with them in the middle of the bayou and my wife and daughter swapped places. I was completely surprised


Awesome! Great to hear!

Glad you're enjoying the boat! The Oasis is a great way to spend some time with the ones you love, so I'm really glad that your wife enjoyed herself, and that you also got to take your daughter out for a bit.


Thanks, here's a pic of when we picked it up at the dealer....you can see my lunge bed extender that I rigged to carry it.
http://bentbikeman.smugmug.com/Photos/C ... &k=XMW2XZ6

Appreciate your help and guidance!!!


When I started to look at the pictures I could not figure out why you were buying so many bikes, then I looked closer. :-)

Great news that the first outing went to well...I am a firm believer start slow and build up to epic adventures. :-) I also like the color; the only color to get. Do you have a picture of the stabilizers on your Oasis? I would like to get either the side kicks or the Spring Creek stabiliers but would like them to mount behind the front seat and still have room for the sail I bought yesterday... Again, congrats! Can't wait to see future pictures and videos!

Bob

Fredericksburg, VA

_________________
Bob
2013 Oasis w/ Sail
Virginia


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 15
motobob wrote:

When I started to look at the pictures I could not figure out why you were buying so many bikes, then I looked closer. :-)

Great news that the first outing went to well...I am a firm believer start slow and build up to epic adventures. :-) I also like the color; the only color to get. Do you have a picture of the stabilizers on your Oasis? I would like to get either the side kicks or the Spring Creek stabiliers but would like them to mount behind the front seat and still have room for the sail I bought yesterday... Again, congrats! Can't wait to see future pictures and videos!

Bob

Fredericksburg, VA


Hey Bob,

Yeah, I wanted to be easily spotted on water. I have brackets mounted behind the front seat and the back seat so I can move the stabilizers where I want. I don't have a picture, but here is a vid link that pretty well shows the stabilizers and the two sets of mounts on the kayak. I made sure when I mounted mine that there was room for a sail as well, so that isn't a problem. Also, in the vid, I like the seat back he rigged (saw the original vid by the person who came up with it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCsbAtbA2AQ) and will make that for mine, and paint the frame black.

Here is the stabilizer vid link: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=spr ... ORM=NVPFVR

These stabilizers are great, you can adjust the length you want them out from the boat and the pontoons are long and sleek and stable. I've never sailed but may give it a whirl, let me know how she does....can always use the extra ummmph. 8)

Bob in Mississippi


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group