Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like I said, it's a modular system. It can go from this....

To this....

Soon to be this. :D :D :D :D

This is going to be a fun addition. Everyone knows the RAM tube is used for a rod holder and has been used in outrigger applications. I took the RAM tube one step further. An easy to remove poling/casting platform! With the help of YakAttack GT90 geartrack and 1 1/2" Screwballs, this is going to work like a charm. I fastened the GT90 track with the supplied hardware minus the flat washers. I made my own full length 1/8" aluminum backing plates for each side. FYI, these were not fun to install. Getting the nylock nuts onto the front 2 bolts on each side was a bear from the rear round hatch. But they're in so the hard parts over.

Next step is to find the right size aluminum tubing to fabricate the top of the platform frame. The card board in the pics is my template. I'll use the pipe bender and tig welder in my friend's shop to complete the project. Like my bait tank and crate projects, this will have angled rod holders coming off the back.

More to come...

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome... but how much stress can those bases take from a man standing on the platform?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

old dog,

Have you ever held GearTrac? It's incredibly strong. Same goes for the Screwballs. The tops of all 4 legs will be machined, matched, and welded to the top platform ring. There will be some extra bracing, etc. The pressures applied by me on top of it will be distributed throughout the system. There should actually be very little torque to any one corner since everything is welded together. Also remember, we use these things on water. Water moves and gives. As an added bonus, since the Screwballs are made from rubber, they will act as independent shock absorbers which will further help stress from transfering to the yak.

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

wow that is a great idea :shock:
But for some reason I see that making the kayak unstable. after all, your going to be standing roughly one foot above the kayak. isn't that changing the center of gravity? I thought the pro angler had a built in standing platform already? might need some outriggers, and a home made H-bar !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not saying that it's for everyone, nor am I saying that everyone can do it, but I rountinely pole my 2012 PA 14 from atop a 48qt cooler that I store in the rear tank well. It does decrease the stability of the boat but I'm able to handle it. I pole from up there using the paddle and then snap the paddle into my Native paddle holder that's attached to a nylon web belt when I spot a fish. I keep my rod rigged and waiting in the verticle rod holder so it's an easy grab and cast from there.

I wouldn't advise this when dealing with boat wakes or hurricane force winds, but if you're in an average fishing environment with minimal winds/waves it's a piece of cake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This looks great! I cant wait until you are finished. Be sure to post some pictures of you on the platform in the water.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless the user is somehow bolted to the platform, it's not going to make the PA unstable in the least. You won't be able turn the boat over using it.

However, you may easily flip yourself off the PA while using the platform. That will come down to the balance possessed by the user.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know that Geartrac is strong. I was unspecific in my original post, but meant the stress on the area of the ball and the pivot clamp. You answered you plan on adding more structure to alleviate the 'down and out' push on those 4 corners. Sounds good and looks great so far!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw I guy with a PA14 that had a removable aluminum poling platform behind the seat. The front supports were in the aft built in rod holders and the back supports had rubber feet and rested on the back edge of the aft deck. It was tall enough keep a large cooler underneath. I watched him pole up and down the flats in the Mosquito Lagoon all day long. I only wish I had taken a picture.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would not trust my weight on those RAM mounts, I had the 2" ball with 3" arm and it would not support the weight of an 1197 Humminbird unit (in rough water). That unit weighs a few pounds, certainly not a couple hundred (I wish I was only a couple hundred).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks great! Although why not just reinforce the lid of your live-well. looks to be close in height and I would imagine less outward stress the the hull. Either way I think it's outstanding! Keep up the mods!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd almost be tempted to drill holes through the ball and mount of the rod holders. Then install a pin with the fold over style wire that keeps it in place.

I've found the ram mounts slip unless you sand the balls and the sockets to rough them up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very creative,Sir.
Congratulations!!
Can't wait to see photos of you on it on the water!!

Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am amazed with what people can come up with..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone else like me, waiting for the wings to be installed next.

The options are endless and only limited by the mind.