Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frnklwrnr wrote:
Looks like I am going to demo the outback and revo 13 on Sunday!
Nice! I'd love to know your thoughts on each. Keep us updated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frnklwrnr wrote:

I will try both before buying for sure. Its only $40 to try out both for 30min. I can add a third for $10 and another 15min. I just want to see how stable and fast they are on the water. I gotta say the more videos I watch i like the outback's width because it gives you those platforms on either side.

You kidding about paying to test???? I don't know of any Hobie dealers that charge for testing one of their kayak?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

islandspeed2001 wrote:
frnklwrnr wrote:

I will try both before buying for sure. Its only $40 to try out both for 30min. I can add a third for $10 and another 15min. I just want to see how stable and fast they are on the water. I gotta say the more videos I watch i like the outback's width because it gives you those platforms on either side.

You kidding about paying to test???? I don't know of any Hobie dealers that charge for testing one of their kayak?

Really??!!! This is my first so I am not sure of how it normally works. They said I get half toward a kayak if I do buy.....

I'll have a talk with the guy when I get to the ramp tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The demo is done and I still don't know which one I want. I do know I loved all three.

1. Outback - Was very stable and did not require much effort to get decent speed. I was able to stand and cast without feeling I would fall out, or that the yak would flip. Peddling into the wind I had to a little more effort into it, but I expected this. I liked how wide the kayak is because you have the trays on either side. All of the hatches were easy opened and did not require much effort to get to them.There was a lot of space to put all of my gear. Overall, I really liked this kayak.

2. Revo 13 - Right away I could tell a different in space compared to the outback. This kayak is stable sitting down, but I would not want to stand in this if the water was not completly calm. The water was calm this morning, but it was still a little questionable if I felt ok standing. You can go faster in this yak vs. the outback with the same amount of effort. Peddling into the wind was no big deal at all because the hull is so efficient. I really liked the Revo.

3. PA 14 - Seriously you cannot really compare this to the other because its just on a completly different level. It was even more stable than the outback and felt as if it cut through the water better too. Tons of room for my gear and more. Loved it. Unfortunatly, I think its just more than what I want to spend right now.

How often will I really feel the need to stand? I don't even know the answer to this.... If the outback was just as wide as it is now, but could cut through the water like the Revo 13, it would be perfect! This wont happen before I buy so I still have to choose between the two. I am still on the fence about which one I will get. I am leaning more toward the outback because of stability if I want to stand. I also feel comfortable moving around accessing all compartments in the outback. The outback will require more effort to go longer distance because of the wide hull, but I think it may be worth it for the stability. I will mainly use this for fishing so storage and stability are big. I know the revo has a lot of storage upfront but I do not feel as comfortable accessing the front hatch.

Again, I plan to use this is pretty much every body of water. The only concern I have is going offshore because I heard it is better to have a longer kayak. Then again, that is where I will use it the least. Ill probably stick to inlets, lakes and possibly try out the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Let me know what ya'll think.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Franklin,

Don't forget to ask about the military discounts! They give between 5-10% to the guys at Great Lakes in Chicago.

Marty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent assessment of the features of each boat. I think you've accurately stated that the Outback is a better boat for standing than the Revolution. Personally, I wouldn't try to stand in the Revo, unless absolutely necessary.

The thing with the test ride is that it allows you to do something that the forum members can't do for you. It allows you to make the emotional decision that we can't make for you. That's often how we choose a boat.

I get the sense that you're leaning towards the Outback. If that's where your heart is, buy it and enjoy it! There are many of us who buy one boat, enjoy it for a number of years, and then try another boat. There really aren't bad boats in the Hobie line-up. You just have to decide which Hobie is "more right" for you at this point in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

makappraiser wrote:
Hey Franklin,

Don't forget to ask about the military discounts! They give between 5-10% to the guys at Great Lakes in Chicago.

Marty

I did ask about the military discount. Its 10% off of the gear but not off the kayaks. If I buy a kayak I get 10% off gear either way. Military discount down the road is only good on the 1st and 15th of every month at this store. I know if I bought in San Diego (where I just moved from) I could get at least 10% off of the yak.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

augaug wrote:
Excellent assessment of the features of each boat. I think you've accurately stated that the Outback is a better boat for standing than the Revolution. Personally, I wouldn't try to stand in the Revo, unless absolutely necessary.

The thing with the test ride is that it allows you to do something that the forum members can't do for you. It allows you to make the emotional decision that we can't make for you. That's often how we choose a boat.

I get the sense that you're leaning towards the Outback. If that's where your heart is, buy it and enjoy it! There are many of us who buy one boat, enjoy it for a number of years, and then try another boat. There really aren't bad boats in the Hobie line-up. You just have to decide which Hobie is "more right" for you at this point in your life.

I agree. But.... if I bought off of my emotions only I would buy the PA 14 :D I should get something by this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frnklwrnr wrote:
I agree. But.... if I bought off of my emotions only I would buy the PA 14 I should get something by this weekend.
You've found your solution! We won't tell your wife! Promise!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

frnklwrnr... Did you really have to pay to demo?! You should report it to Hobie... Hopefully, the Hobie guys are reading this thread! What say you????????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

(censored) wrote:
frnklwrnr... Did you really have to pay to demo?! You should report it to Hobie... Hopefully, the Hobie guys are reading this thread! What say you????????

Yeah, I really did have to pay. I paid $50 for 3 kayaks w/15min on the water for each. I was going to ask the guy once I go to the launch, but I was too excited and forgot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just found a used 2011 Outback. It was previously a demo boat... He is willing to take $1300 (started at $1600). The boat is in decent shape, there are some scratches on the bottom, dirty, but there doesnt seem to be any dents or deep gouges. What do yall think?

EDIT: I just got a message back from a guy with a 2012 PA 12 with a stand up bar and heavy duty wheels. I offered 2100 and he came back from 2200. I think I can get it for 2100. What do yall think about this deal?

Last edited by frnklwrnr on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Frnklwrnr,

Side note of some importance; if it is a factory "demo" boat, with that word a part of its serial number, The warranty is NOT valid. I was at a trade show this weekend and this very subject came up with a dealer. Just so you know.

Flat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Flatinfifth wrote:
Frnklwrnr,

Side note of some importance; if it is a factory "demo" boat, with that word a part of its serial number, The warranty is NOT valid. I was at a trade show this weekend and this very subject came up with a dealer. Just so you know.

Flat

Thanks for the heads up.

Isnt the warranty only good for two years? Even if the boat wasnt a demo the warranty would be up this year? I agree the demo thing has me a little worried, but I think if I can get him to let me put it in the water it should be ok?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can see $50 for a full-day rental, but not just for 45 minutes...and deduct that $50 from whatever model you end up purchasing, too...