Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How well does the Hobie rod holder extender or the Yak Gear extender hold a flyrod with a fighting butt? In particular, a TFO ticrx with the larger diameter butt? does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not familiar with that holder holding a fly rod safely, here's a different ave. check out ifly rod holders, they have a cap that you twist to hold the rod in place. They work well with any rod. I'd trust this rod holder over anything else when it comes to flyrods.

You can take that holder and screw it to an existing rod holder, the style that you just push into a recessed rod holder in the kayak and it raises the rod higher off the deck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not well. To hold a fly rod you really need a slot cut along side of the tube. This allows the reel seat foot junction to slide down into the tube.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I had looked at the IFLY but I am really wanting something that would fit in the existing holder on my Revo but be more secure as well as higher. In the past I have only carried a fly rod but this year I want to take a spinning rod as well. I may try and make something out of PVC but I don't have many tools and I would have to buy a saw to cut the groove. I was hoping to buy something but I don't want to mount anything extra.

Both the extenders I asked about fit in the existing rod holder in the Hobie and have a groove cut in them. I wanted to know if the reel fits in the existing groove and if the large diameter butt on the TFO TICR would fit in the opening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not hard to do in PVC with sidecutters...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Couldn't you just bolt a RAM or Scotty base to the side of the tube near the top? Insert bolts with the heads inside the tube to keep the tube clean for conventional rods. You can then use the base for something else when not using the fly rod holder.

The Scotty fly rod holders work well & are cheap. They also work whether your rod has a butt or not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also take into consideration you may have a 8'-6" or 9' fly rod sticking out of a holder that's already about a foot above the gunnel. The RAM or Scotty holders will give you the option to angle the rods back at launch, landing, overhead cover, etc.