Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know of and hobie sailing classes Atlanta or on lake lanier? I need help learning to sail it for I am a newbie.. Also need help rigging it. I would just go to a dealer for the rigging part but there is t one near Lanier.. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post an add on Craigslist. There are some sailers in your neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hit up "Motivated", He lives in Atlanta, I am sure he would be happy to help out. May cost you a few beers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Haha thnx xsrracer! I will get in touch with him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sxrracer my B!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Where on Lanier are you sailing out of? I sail out of Aqualand Marina (east side of Lanier) with my Hobie 18.

As the weather warms up I have a better chance of talking my family and friends into crewing with me (I wanted to head out last Sunday but couldn't get crew and with it blowing 15-20 and the water cold I decided not to singlehand). I have a drysuit so the cold water is not as much of an issue. The water usually warms up enough for short swims by beginning of May.

Let me know when you are interested in sailing and maybe we can work something out. My fee is very reasonable and may involve a few beers :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Chet3 good to hear that you sail on Lanier also!! I took it out for its maiden voyage last Sunday and dropped in at Young Dear Park off exit 17 on 400.. My friend who went with me actually has a boat docked up at Aqualand and that is where I am planning on renting dry storage this summer.. I am planning on going out on the lake again this weekend on Sat and Sunday.. If you would like to meet up to sail and show me a few things on rigging, I will be more than happy to throw you a few bones for your trouble. Oh and we'll have a cooler with us as well haha. My name is Brandon and my cell is 4049939903. Just shoot me a text

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pigpen782 wrote:
Hey Chet3 good to hear that you sail on Lanier also!! I took it out for its maiden voyage last Sunday and dropped in at Young Dear Park off exit 17 on 400.. My friend who went with me actually has a boat docked up at Aqualand and that is where I am planning on renting dry storage this summer.. I am planning on going out on the lake again this weekend on Sat and Sunday.. If you would like to meet up to sail and show me a few things on rigging, I will be more than happy to throw you a few bones for your trouble. Oh and we'll have a cooler with us as well haha. My name is Brandon and my cell is 4049939903. Just shoot me a text

Aqualand is the best spot I could find to store my boat with the mast up and near the big water sailing area on Lake Lanier. It is more expensive than rigging at a public boat ramp but much easier and faster to get out on the water. There are two different ramp and storage areas that folks sail their cats from but I line the one closer to the main store.

I have other plans (backpacking) this weekend but will keep in touch for other weekends. I will keep your cell number for the next time.

Another tidbit of info is the windfinder website, it is a great tool for forecasting the wind on the lake days in advance and I have found it to be reasonably accurate. http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/van_pugh_park I Typically only make the trip up to the lake when there is wind. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciate the help chet3!!! Yea I hear aqualand is full of sailboats cause of the area.. And yea let me know next time you go out and ill meet ya up there if you don't mind.. Take care