Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ti Navigation Lights
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Er Beebrain, please reduce your pix to about 640 or 800 pixels across so they load quicker and you don't need to scroll all over the place to see them.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think Kayakingbob's comment about having full navigation lights potentially lulling other vessels into over-estimating your ability to get out of the way is a very valid point, as is mine that unless the lights are well above hull level they will not be reliably seen anyway (a scary combination of these two factors...).

I strongly believe that a masthead light is the most effective, as it will be literally visible for miles even in quite big seas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Tonystott, for the specificity of your comment. I am newbie to these postings. My connection is fairly fast, so I did not notice the oversight :? . Fixed, now. Cheers

Regarding the question of being mistaken for a boat with a rudder :) , I think being seen is the most important thing, but the red/green/white information on the direction of your travel also useful to other boats in avoiding you. I hardly think anyone is going to see your sail and that you are basically sitting on the water, and think: "hmm, same lights as I have on my stinkpot, I think I will just motor on over him and let him get out of way", at least no one who would not think that way if you had a dim flashlight shining on your sail, too (minimum the coast guard requires). Certainly there are some folks out there who are just plain obnoxious, and more who are just plain ignorant, but, still, providing the best visibility and information we can seems the best course, and then keep a watchful eye out, since it is our ass that will sink when someone overlooks or ignores us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

beebrain:
Nice setup, I just went to walmart and bought the same nav light set for my TI, it's quite a good deal and very nice.
Thanks for the tip.
Bob