Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

Can anyone local recommend a suitable spot for some TI sailing around NSW,
drivable from Sydney at Easter ?

Anywhere where we could rent a house for the weekend, and preferably launch in front of the property onto water (failing that, a nearby boat ramp).

Nice places to stop, beaches, have lunch or camp would also be great.

Below are the places I've thought about so far. Note I've been to Lake Macquarie once before (Wangi) but would prefer Jervis Bay or Forster this time.

Any suggestions on specific places/areas to stay and where to launch/sail to,
greatly appreciated. thanks.

jervis bay
myall lakes
Forster
Port Stephens
Lake Macquarie
Tallowa Dam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I would be remiss if I didn't speak up for Forster! Wallis Lake is a huge (16 x 8 km) tidal lake containing several islands plus three rivers which run into it. 50% of oysters sold in Sydney are actually produced in the lake. Fortunately every oyster farm has clearly seen boundary fences, so you are unlikely to accidentally plow into one. Tidal flows can be quite strong, but using these to your advantage can result in quick passage times (or treadmill like tacking practice if you want :mrgreen: )

The channel to the open sea includes a pretty benign bar, mainly due to a well dredged deep channel. Once outside, it is 26nM north to Crowdy Head, 15nM south to Seal Rocks, a further 15nM to Broughton Island and a further 12nm to Nelson Bay.

There are several holiday parks with direct water access, each of which offer the full range from un-powered campsites to self-contained cabins. Being a holiday town, people walk round with smiles on their faces, and the vibe is great. Yours truly is happy to be a personal guide and mentor to ensure any visitor gets maximum enjoyment from their time on the water here
The water really is that good!

PM me for more info eh?

Last edited by tonystott on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oceanmoves wrote:
Hi All,

Can anyone local recommend a suitable spot for some TI sailing around NSW,
drivable from Sydney at Easter ?

Anywhere where we could rent a house for the weekend, and preferably launch in front of the property onto water (failing that, a nearby boat ramp).

Nice places to stop, beaches, have lunch or camp would also be great.

Below are the places I've thought about so far. Note I've been to Lake Macquarie once before (Wangi) but would prefer Jervis Bay or Forster this time.

Any suggestions on specific places/areas to stay and where to launch/sail to,
greatly appreciated. thanks.

jervis bay
myall lakes
Forster
Port Stephens
Lake Macquarie
Tallowa Dam

It's a pity our Gippsland Lakes are too far away for you. It's a fantastic location in every aspect! It would be a perfect location for a Worldwide Hobie AI/TI gathering that could include extensive camping trips, races and social events to match.

Broughton Island is part of the Myall Lakes National Park. ChrisJ, Stringy, Slaughter & myself had a memorable camping trip to Esmeralda Cove a few years back, departing from Nelson Bay.
We also had a great camping trip down to Jervis Bay. We set up a base camp in Honeymoon Bay which is open to the public on weekends and public hols.

The great thing about our Gippsland Lakes is the free facilities and it's never too busy or crowded - if you know your way around and avoid the usual tourist hotspots.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
. The channel to the open sea includes a pretty benign bar, mainly due to a well dredged deep channel. Once outside, it is 26nM north to Crowdy Head, 15nM to Seal Rocks, a further 15nM to Broughton Island and a further 12nm to Nelson Bay.

There are several holiday parks with direct water access, each of which offer the full range from un-powered campsites to self-contained cabins. Being a holiday town, people walk round with smiles on their faces, and the vibe is great. Yours truly is happy to be a personal guide and mentor to ensure any visitor gets maximum enjoyment from their time on the water here

Tony - sounds tempting. May take you up on your offer sometime :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
Well I would be remiss if I didn't speak up for Forster! Wallis Lake is a huge (16 x 8 km) tidal lake containing several islands plus three rivers which run into it. 50% of oysters sold in Sydney are actually produced in the lake. Fortunately every oyster farm has clearly seen boundary fences, so you are unlikely to accidentally plow into one. Tidal flows can be quite strong, but using these to your advantage can result in quick passage times (or treadmill like tacking practice if you want :mrgreen: )

The channel to the open sea includes a pretty benign bar, mainly due to a well dredged deep channel. Once outside, it is 26nM north to Crowdy Head, 15nM south to Seal Rocks, a further 15nM to Broughton Island and a further 12nm to Nelson Bay.

The water really is that good!

PM me for more info eh?

Thanks.
Is it good sailing in the actual lake (rather than the entrance to it)
and also are there any holiday parks around the inner lake, i.e. in the
non-tidal areas ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good questions! I might have overstated the tidal effect, which diminishes the further you are away from the entrance.. I will be honest though, in that there are many places where you need to tack a 100 metres apart, but our Islands are no big deal if you chuck in a few pedal strokes when the wind is higher.

It is hard to appreciate the large scale of the lake (the photo above is of a tiny part at the top of the higher view below and you could easily put in a sail of a few hours just in that top section alone), but there are plenty of places where you can make "journeys" like circumnavigating Wallis Island (shown at the top on this photo. BTW that airstrip is full size and used to accommodate commercial airliners!) which is a sail of three or four hours. While there are a fair few shallow bits, the water is so clear you can eyeball your way around them, and I can give you the benefit of local knowledge. In fact I am spending the next week showing a visitor around in her AI, so will be extra well prepared by Easter :D

Lakeside Resort is a nice holiday park facing Pipers Bay, with boat ramp, and another place called Camp Elim, which is about 10kms south of Forster, at the narrowest part of land at about 4 o'clock in the photo. There are cabins available at both places, but Lakeside Resort is more upmarket.
Camp Elim
http://www.campelim.org.au/

Lakeside Resort Pipers Bay
http://www.booking.com/hotel/au/lakesid ... 248f3dbX10

Please don't hold back if you have any other questions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all kindly for your suggestions and comments, but I have decided to stay at Jervis Bay at Easter.

Apart from Jervis bay itself, how is St Georges Basin for sailing ?
Does it get really shallow (since its tidal) ?