Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
Ok so this didnt happen to me.... but my local Hobie dealer/rep said it could happen. I just bought a Yakima roof rack for my 2008 Toyota Corolla because I was going to pick up a PA 12 about 200 miles south of me in a couple of days. When I was talking to the kayak dealer she said that the PA 12 was going to have so much wind resistance, and rip the kayak and roof rack right off my car. The rack is rated for 125lbs and the PA 12 is 98lbs..... They advised that I call Hobie directly and ask them what they thought. Not much help. They said to call Yakima or talk to the local kayak dealer because they would know more. Hobie corporate (guy on the phone) also said that he has never heard of this happening, and that he has seen many people with small cars carry the PA 12. My local dealer has me so freaked out that I will rip my wife's car roof off, I dont even want to purchase anymore.

Here is the deal, we are a military family and we move a lot. Our next move will be overseas and the Navy will not transfer the trailer overseas. Which is why I got a roof rack. If our next duty station was to be in the states we would get a trailer because we have a hitch.

Its hard to pass up this 2012 PA 12 deal because I talked the guy down to $2100. The boat includes the heavy duty wheels and the H Bar. Its not really worth the potential damage to our car roof though. If yall have heard anything like this please let me know. I have a second deal I am working for a 2011 Outback for $1300 but my heart is really set on this PA 12.

Thanks for the help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:39 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Raleigh, NC
If you do end up getting the kayak and driving with it on your car, drive slow, and slow down if it gets windy out. I've had a kayak ripped off of my roof rack (not a special kayak holding rack, just tied to stock bars across the top). It would've been fine if I hadn't been going as fast as I was. Take it easy, and you should be fine.

_________________
'79 H16 "Carmelita"
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking about adding a loop strap to each rack bar and running the straps inside the car to have added protection.... Overkill maybe? Also, most of the time I will be going under 55 mph and only traveling about 10 miles on average.

The only worry is the 200 mile trip back from where I pick the boat up. I figured if I did 55 mph on the freeway it should be ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Roswell, GA - USA
I have used Yakima and Thule racks on many different vehicles in the last 20 yrs carrying up to 3 kayaks, lots of windsurfers and even a full size pickup truck camper top once. I have even surpassed 100 mph with multiple windsurfers many times back when I was younger (not recommended).

These racks are solid and designed for this, I would not be concerned at all about it falling off. The weight limit is more related to the stability of the vehicle and if you were to get in a bad accident the loading on the roof, not the wind.

The only incidence I have ever heard of is when my brothers car (80's Toyota Corrola) had the rain gutters rust so badly that the rain gutter fell off the car where the rack attached (with about 10 windsurfers on the rack). This of course had nothing to do with the rack design but totally the severely rusted rain gutters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 132
I'd say if you are concerned with the wind and it being pushed up and back. I'd tie a good quality ratchet strap from the front bumper to the front of the kayak. Place a towel under the strap where it touches the car hood. You can do the same over and through the windows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
This guy does it on his car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vvIRzE2Ag

Check out the monster truck wheels!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
saltfisherman wrote:
I'd say if you are concerned with the wind and it being pushed up and back. I'd tie a good quality ratchet strap from the front bumper to the front of the kayak. Place a towel under the strap where it touches the car hood. You can do the same over and through the windows.


I have two very good ratchet straps that I was going to use for the top of the yak to the yack. I was going to use rop for the front and rear but it may be a good investment to ratchet strap instead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:28 am
Posts: 10
First let me say thank you for your service to our country.

I can't see a problem as long as the roof rack is properly installed and the yak is properly secured for transport with front and rear tie downs.

How are you planning on transporting your yak at your next duty station?


Last edited by johncb76006 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
johncb76006 wrote:
First let me say thank you for your service to our country.

I can't see a problem as long as the roof rack is properly installed and the yak is properly secured for transport with front and rear tie downs.

How are you planning on transporting your yak at your next duty station?

Is the Navy moving your car and yak along with the rest of your household goods? How long are you going to be at your new duty station? Will you be able to buy an inexpensive trailer there that you would be able to sell when you left?

Now for here in the states, if you bought a trailer is there somewhere that you could store it while you're overseas?


Well thank you, but its actually my wife who is the service member.
We are able to take our car with us so we will use the rack system. The Navy will send the yak as household goods because its under 14' and doesnt have a trailer. The car I am assuming will take much longer to get to England. Buying a trailer in England may not be a bad idea because we will be there for 3 years. We will just have to see what we can find when we get there.

We are only in the states for a couple more months so it may be a waste to buy one now because we will not have a place to store it.

In the short term I may rent a trailer to go get the kayak since its such a long trip. I will use the rack for around town trips...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:06 am
Posts: 734
Location: Amelia Island, FL
Simple solution.... Don't depend on any roof carrier to hold your kayak to your car. It is intended only to give it a place to ride. I have seen a kayak with roof rack attached go flying through the air. They did a great job of having it tied down to the roof rack :roll:

ALWAYS tie the bow and stern of the kayak down to the front and back of your vehicle. Most vehicle "bumpers" are not made to easily use as an anchor. Put these straps under the hood of your vehicle. They easily fold under the hood when not in use.

http://www.rei.com/product/818318/seatt ... 1b2166becc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
islandspeed2001 wrote:
Simple solution.... Don't depend on any roof carrier to hold your kayak to your car. It is intended only to give it a place to ride. I have seen a kayak with roof rack attached go flying through the air. They did a great job of having it tied down to the roof rack :roll:

ALWAYS tie the bow and stern of the kayak down to the front and back of your vehicle. Most vehicle "bumpers" are not made to easily use as an anchor. Put these straps under the hood of your vehicle. They easily fold under the hood when not in use.

http://www.rei.com/product/818318/seatt ... 1b2166becc


There are two tie down locations behind my front bumper and I will tie the rear at the hitch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:20 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
I think I found my solution. On base they rent out canoe trailers for $10 a day. I am am going to go check them out tomorrow and see if it will work for what I need.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:23 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:55 pm
Posts: 270
That dealer is an idiot ..........It's not going anywhere if you tie the front and the back and around the middle even without the rack and they know it. Sounds like sour grapes because you found a deal. Don't EVER buy anything from that guy.

Some of these Hobie dealers and reps are sometimes ridiculous. I had a rep tell my dealer that he couldn't install a slide on the seat that alot of the guys have installed here on this board because it would void the warranty and the added height would make it unstable. Soooo .... the dealer wouldn't install it because the rep wouldn't let him.

Now Hobies new seat is twice as high and the PA 12 is several inches narrower ......... so now it's ok to raise the height ......... needless to say, I have little respect for this east coast rep.

I just sounds like this dealer want you to buy from them


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 69
Memory Maker wrote:
That dealer is an idiot ..........It's not going anywhere if you tie the front and the back and around the middle even without the rack and they know it. Sounds like sour grapes because you found a deal. Don't EVER buy anything from that guy.

Some of these Hobie dealers and reps are sometimes ridiculous. I had a rep tell my dealer that he couldn't install a slide on the seat that alot of the guys have installed here on this board because it would void the warranty and the added height would make it unstable. Soooo .... the dealer wouldn't install it because the rep wouldn't let him.

Now Hobies new seat is twice as high and the PA 12 is several inches narrower ......... so now it's ok to raise the height ......... needless to say, I have little respect for this east coast rep.

I just sounds like this dealer want you to buy from them



Yeah that may be what they were trying to do, but I have never car topped a kayak or anything for that matter so I just didnt know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 am
Posts: 164
Location: Central New York
You should be fine with two straps across the kayak to the rack and tie downs on the box and stern to the vehicle. If you are going to use ratchet straps DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. You just need them to be snug. You can damage your rack and kayak by over tightening.

_________________
MrGreen


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ezbite and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group