Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Unable to get to my boat anytime soon to take measurements because of traveling distance. Can anyone post what the dimensions are of a hobie 16 trampoline frame. From outer edges: fore to aft and from port to starboard. I have an idea to make a tramp cover using universal Harbor freight tarps that are sold in different materials and sizes...............Thank You

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fore and aft: ~7'2"

port to starboard: ~7'6"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank You cherokeesailor, I appreciate it. I see you also sail a 1979 boat

79' Will Always Shine

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure thing, and yep, i do, how are the hulls holding up on your 79?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

M in MI wrote:
Unable to get to my boat anytime soon to take measurements because of traveling distance. Can anyone post what the dimensions are of a hobie 16 trampoline frame. From outer edges: fore to aft and from port to starboard. I have an idea to make a tramp cover using universal Harbor freight tarps that are sold in different materials and sizes...............Thank You

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I've been considering building a cover for my boat but haven't had the time or funds. Are you planning on sewing the tarp or some sort of adhesive?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cherokeesailor: I've had my boat since 1990, the hulls over time got a few scratches and dings here and there, so then I filled them/sanded/painted. Then over time, they developed the dreaded soft spots in front of the forward pylons. I still sailed the boat for years like that, until 2 seasons ago I was sailing with my sister sitting on the starboard side, myself on the port side and we would hand over the controls to each other when we changed tacks. Thats when sitting on the leeward side I noticed the wind ward hull in front of the pylon was buckling a bit from the stress. (not good at all) I ended up injecting both hulls with some West system epoxy that I had and following the directions I found on these forums on soft spot hull repair. When I was done, I had filled a 12-16"l X side edge to side edge on the port hull and on the starboard side an 18-24" l x side edge to side edge..........They are hard as rock now and I feel a lot more confident when solo sailing in heaver air.

79 H16 #46803

Post subject: Re:PurdueZach
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Using a reflective heavy duty silver tarp that is cheap in price from www.harborfreight.com. Make a wrap around frame cover with U shape corner and mast cuts so that I can bungie underneath, angle bungie at corners inside of pylons. Cut bigger so I can roll extra material to glue with contact cement to double reinforce outer edges. Glue underneath selected areas for double reinforcement for wear protection,drain water and wind dispersion. Add brass eyelets where needed for anchoring edges and drainage along rope tramp tracks.
little to no sewing desired, to minimize any thread breakdown, especially on the top surfaces.
I won't know for sure until I start fitting it, but I have access to a sewing machine and eyelet dies. The goal is to keep it as: simple, cheap and effective to keep the sun off during the summer. Otherwise, everything gets stripped off in the off season and stored inside.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

M in MI wrote:
Cherokeesailor: I've had my boat since 1990, the hulls over time got a few scratches and dings here and there, so then I filled them/sanded/painted. Then over time, they developed the dreaded soft spots in front of the forward pylons. I still sailed the boat for years like that, until 2 seasons ago I was sailing with my sister sitting on the starboard side, myself on the port side and we would hand over the controls to each other when we changed tacks. Thats when sitting on the leeward side I noticed the wind ward hull in front of the pylon was buckling a bit from the stress. (not good at all) I ended up injecting both hulls with some West system epoxy that I had and following the directions I found on these forums on soft spot hull repair. When I was done, I had filled a 12-16"l X side edge to side edge on the port hull and on the starboard side an 18-24" l x side edge to side edge..........They are hard as rock now and I feel a lot more confident when solo sailing in heaver air.

Good for you for fixing them, mine aren't in good shape at all. The tops are bad, but I found out after standing on the side of one of the hulls one day that those are delaminated as it gets. It would be impractical for me to fix that, I'm planning on sailing with them how they are til one snaps or tears open, then I'll just get some solid replacements and make those nice and pretty.

Post subject: Re: cherokeesailor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The main area you would want to inject epoxy is, in the front of and around the pylons. I don't know how massive your delamination problem is, but a partial fix in the most critical areas might be all you need. but if its as bad as you say it is, you may want to replace with hulls from a part out for sale. Being that you are in the carolinas, seems like you would be in a good place to find them in decent condition, and availibility with not to far to drive.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I actually have a few friends with hulls laying around, I'll just snatch a pair up when the time comes. The inside side of one of my hulls is delaminated so bad that you can feel the layers being separate when you push in (this is along the length of the hull). The tops of both hulls are soft in front of the pylons. NC is a great place for hobies. So many if you know where to look.