Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, everyone likes to see something run down/broken turn new again, right? Here goes the restoration of my boat over the past two years.

I had started sailing when I was younger, at a summer camp, which got me hooked. So I came home, waited til I was old enough, then joined the Sea Scouts. Eventually, the Sea Scouts were given an H16 that was not in the best of shape, and as they already had three working ones, and knew I had been searching for an inexpensive H16 for a while, I soon had my own boat:

Of course, it did need a few small things:

so we fixed that:

yes, we did put in new drain plugs

then I moved on to the tramp, the blue Hobie one had some tears, so the boat got a brand new mesh one:

(i apologize for the terrible ipod pictures)

Plus a few other things, a new (to me) rudder and tiller for the starboard side (previous ones were ripped off at the same time as that hole was made), new mainsheet+blocks, new jibsheet, righting lines, halyards, and new carpet on the frame. More to come later tonight/tomorrow.

Last edited by CherokeeSailor on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Nice work!

Glad to see another Hobie 16 in Raleigh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys, I had a ton of help from the head of my Sea Scout Ship doing that glassing, I can't take a whole lot of credit for that.

GD_NC wrote:

You take your boat out to Falls Lake often?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Figured I should mention, this boat is not going to be raced, strictly a daysailor, I raced 420's for a while, and it just saps the fun out of sailing for me. plus, my boat would end up like this if i raced it, the way my hulls are:

Well, I took the boat out with a bunch of friends for the first time in February of last year(2012), once it was (mostly) seaworthy. Luckily, we had the perfect day for it, cold and rainy! but that's okay, there was wind.

and nothing broke!

so, once it got a little warmer, dryer, and windier, my cousin and I took it out for a second run

this one was a bit wetter than the last, pitchpoled not long after getting off the dock (a pretty impressive pitchpole, if i do say so myself, too bad no one was around to see it :lol: ) it turns out that my mast wanted to fill with water, and my cousin and I were too light to right the boat, so a couple of nice fisherman came up and threw the mast up for us, then we decided it was time to head in after 20 minutes of standing on my hull :oops: .

a picture of my impromptu mast float...a spare lifejacket we had on board...and that beautiful Jeep again.

I'd say I learned something from this, and am a safer sailor now, but all this has made me do is try to come as close to pitchpoling without it actually happening when i sail :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Back to the many little projects of this boat.

sandpaper and acetone cleans rudders pretty damn well...

although, they may have lost some strength in that process as well...
that was probably me just putting too much weight on it though...

So i fixed it
that fix broke under it's own weight though...so it was time for another rudder.

with a new rudder came new motivation
decided to try something new...haven't regretted it yet
that paint does come off when the rudders go up and down, but that's no big deal, you have to look close to see that. You'll also see that I have the mast tip painted, out of laziness from not wanting to want to flag that every time i take the boat out.

made a sail bag to keep the sails clean and together while trailering, as they had to be strapped to the mast to get them anywhere

the board that you see strapped to the roof rack in the picture above was my dad's idea, to give us something to push against while raising and lowering the mast instead of just the slippery tramp. The board has 2 grippy pads like you'd find on outdoor stairs, carpet over the ends to protect the carpet on the boat, and we just use two c-clamps to hold it in place while using it.

i'll have to go out and use a real camera to take pictures of all these things now .

the summer camp that I work at had quite a few sail tubes and boxes laying around that they didn't need, so i STOLE one. 8) but not really. They don't use them, as all the Hobies are kept on a beach, so they told me "if you can get one of those home, it's yours" :mrgreen:

200 miles later, the tube was mine :P
the fiberglass on it was peeling, but i liked the look of it, so i gave it a good spraying of clear spray paint, set it about where i wanted it on the trailer, and got to work.

first were the end closures.
I started with a good sized piece of wood, cut it down to near the size of the opening with a reciprocating saw, and I sanded down the edges to make it fit. then I sanded more. and more. added some paint, and that got me here:
then i needed a way to pull it out of there...so it got a handle.
to keep the end in place, i cut rectangular holes in the tube across from each other, and bought some flat, pliable aluminum
one end of the aluminum bent to be easily pulled out of the hole without slipping through, the other with a hole drilled for a lock. i'll have to take some pictures tomorrow.

I made the other end differently, to be able to fit over the end loosely, so that any water inside would pour right out and not be trapped in.

So far, I love having a tube, it is much better than tying the sails to the mast like some sort of primitive caveman.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aluminum for the tube end:

board used for mast raising along with its C-clamps

a good shot of the mounts for the sail tube

glued some bits of hose on the inside of the mounts, to be shock absorbers for the tube

also, had this happen one of the times i took her out
pin holding the base of my shroud sheared off, so had the mast drop on us in the middle of Falls Lake(a very small lake) so we paddled back to the ramp. I forget to take my mast step pin out most times I go out, this time was no exception, and as the mast came down, the base of the mast stayed connected from the step pin, and ripped out of the mast.
no big deal, that just meant I got to get a brand new one, that doesn't wobble around in my mast.
and, how the boat sat as of the last time I was able to take her out:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good work! Is that shroud pin copper/bronze??? Looks like it in pic! Should be stainless!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, it is stainless, just bad lighting making it look brown in the picture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CherokeeSailor wrote:
Thanks guys, I had a ton of help from the head of my Sea Scout Ship doing that glassing, I can't take a whole lot of credit for that.

GD_NC wrote:

You take your boat out to Falls Lake often?

I usually sail on Jordan Lake from the Vista Point sail beach. Occasionally I'll drag it down to the beach or a regatta nearby. There's almost always a couple of hobies around Vista Point on the weekends. Many of them are forum members so do a quick search on "Jordan Lake" and you'll find most of us.

Hey any chance you have a line on another one of those sail tubes? I'd love to have something like that on my trailer, but I haven't found anything less than a couple hundred bucks that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, I've been up to Vista point a few times, that is a good place to launch...not practical for me though, with falls in the backyard.
I'll let them know that someone's interested in the tubes/boxes they have (the tube i found was probably the best condition one at camp) they will probably want a few bucks for it though, I'm down there working every weekend, so I'll let you know early next week what they say.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks I'd be happy to pay a few bucks for it.

If you head over to Jordan let me know. My boat is still in hibernation, but I plan to get it going in early April.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been wondering what to do about my delamination for a while, the starboard hull is terrible, not just the top, the side of the hull is one big pillow(found that out last year when my cousin and I flipped it). I was considering doing the normal delam fix, but then realized it would be useless with the side of the hull so far gone. I'm going to sail on these hulls til they snap/rip open, then i'll get some cheap, solid, hulls and throw those under it once theyre cleaned up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, can anyone tell me what is the best boat wash that I can use to take off marks and old moss stains on my hulls

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

richard john wood wrote:
Hey, can anyone tell me what is the best boat wash that I can use to take off marks and old moss stains on my hulls

I use a magic erasor for that kind of stuff.