Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt ........ there was no problem with my dealer making any modifications I wanted until the Hobie rep stuck his nose in it. Before this I would I drive 1 1/2 hrs plus tolls each way to have that dealer do ALL of my work. I could afford it and I wanted it done right. I was loyal to my dealer until then. The dealer was fine with doing the work until the rep spoiled the relationship. I would have assumed the risk of that 1 modification especially since a BUNCH of people had already done and tested it. It was the statement that the PA 14 would be too unstable that really got me ........especially when Hobie produces the PA with a seat that is even higher and even produces a new model that is 2 ft shorter and several inches narrower which would make it MUCH less stable. That is my point. He makes it so my dealer wouldn't make the modification because of a false statement the the factory proved wrong 1 year later. Now my dealer does not have that business or my loyalty. Now I shop for deals and I have people that will make any modification that I need. Shoot ........ according to your statement, adding a Yakattack gear trac or light or rod holder would void the warranty because it is not santioned by Hobie.

That said .......... I love my 2 PA's ....... but I can't figure out why you guys do the stuff you do like putting out a new Yak without correcting or making modifications that are needed on the existing models ........ but hey ..... you are the most successful Yak maker ......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Memory Maker wrote:
because it would void the warranty and the added height would make it unstable.

Completely reasonable for a dealer to be concerned about modifying something outside factory spec. They clearly were concerned about voiding the warranty and if they did the work, they assume the liability. DIY is the way to go on that kind of stuff. Don't blame a dealer for not wanting to take a risk on your behalf.

Matt, I agree 100% with your position about a dealer getting involved in making modifications to a kayak. Your Rep did the right thing in making the dealer aware of the legal exposure the dealer was submitting himself to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a PA 14 that I put on my car roof. I tie the front and rear and also 2 straps around the middle but those 2 middle straps go inside the car. It doesnt budge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the camp that says the dealer was sour you went used. I would also take my accessory business elsewhere, cause they freaked you out for no reason. Follow the sound advice above and you'll be fine for 200+ miles.

Here is my sti with whispbars/thule slipstream/PA12. No problems accelerating, but need to give more time for braking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fishingfiend wrote:
I'm in the camp that says the dealer was sour you went used. I would also take my accessory business elsewhere, cause they freaked you out for no reason. Follow the sound advice above and you'll be fine for 200+ miles.

Here is my sti with whispbars/thule slipstream/PA12. No problems accelerating, but need to give more time for braking.

Looks good. I am trying out the used outback this afternoon. If that one doesnt work out then I will prob be making the 4 hour drive to get the PA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dang it. I wrote a really long response thanking everyone but didnt realize I wasnt logged in. IT ERASED EVERYTHING!

Anyways, I ended up buying an Outback for $1200. I took it out on the water this afternoon and it was great. I got it home and gave her a good ole bath. She is nice and shinny. 'Love affair' already! I hope to be on the water tomorrow afternoon out at Owl's Creek in VB.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good for you! I hope you get lots of time to use it and catch some whoppers while doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

frnklwrnr wrote:
dang it. I wrote a really long response thanking everyone but didnt realize I wasnt logged in. IT ERASED EVERYTHING!

Anyways, I ended up buying an Outback for $1200. I took it out on the water this afternoon and it was great. I got it home and gave her a good ole bath. She is nice and shinny. 'Love affair' already! I hope to be on the water tomorrow afternoon out at Owl's Creek in VB.

Congrats. you'll still want a PA eventually haha

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I recently installed a used Thule roof rack and needed to transport my Outback a long distance. It was absolute cake, i found no real differences in the cars handling and it was actually snowing on my way home and no problems.

You will be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cnnashman wrote:
I recently installed a used Thule roof rack and needed to transport my Outback a long distance. It was absolute cake, i found no real differences in the cars handling and it was actually snowing on my way home and no problems.

You will be fine.

I have now transported my outback a few times and it does not even move on the rack.