Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie from NJ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all. I made a small investment on a 1982 H16 and have never sailed before but I'm very excited to get wet! The hulls are painted dark blue which I'm not too thrilled about but its a start and its something to learn with. Other than this everything else is in tact.

I joined a local club (10 minutes away :D ) where I will have my H16 right on the beach.

I need to invest in two life jackets and trap harness and don't know what to pick. I'm a light guy (145 lbs) so I should be flying on the water.

Appreciate any tips.

Thanks
Rich

Post subject: Re: Newbie from NJ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Which club did you join?

sm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be careful out there! A light guy like you sailing solo could get in trouble real fast on a Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Which club did you join?

sm

Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In2Bass wrote:
srm wrote:
Which club did you join?

sm

Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club

SHBCC is probably one of the largest and most active catamaran clubs in the country. They have a good number of seasoned cat sailors, so I'm sure you'll get good answers to all you questions from the folks in the club. They also have an annual Hobie regatta in June which usually draws a decent crowd.

As for specific recommendations for harnesses and life jackets, the Hobie catalog and Murrays marine are good starting points.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tips? Make a friend who is much heavier than you, if you want to be able to right the boat(or keep it flat). Your mast is probably going to fill with water if you flip. my 79 does.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tips: if sailing solo, limit your sailing to lower wind speeds (5-10mph max) and run your jib and main travelers out a bit, that way you can limit the force of the wind by some spill off . But first go out with someone whom, knows the depths of the areas where your going to be sailing and ask them where they are ( particularly the shallow areas) get to know it and try to sail in those areas as much as you can, until you get the feel of the boat solo. Its always better to dump where its shallow and stick a mast in the mud, than it is in the drop off where the boat goes completely upside down. I can right mine solo at 245lbs, so you should be able to right it, with someone with equal or greater weight.

Remember if things get to hairy, dump the sail tension/or sheet out and turn into the wind.
Light wind= slower decision making to moderate physical responses
Higher wind= quicker decisions to aggressive responses-very little margin to errors.
Keeping a keen eye over your shoulder observing the wind as it comes at you, and how its going to affect you, ahead of you, will help you anticipate what adjustments to make before and as you experience it.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the tips!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You know what, considering all things, if your just starting out, strongly consider seriously, if you don't already have one, a mast bob or baby bob, and if not that, in addition and/or before you put your boat in, take your mast only, down to the water and see if it holds air, in the water (floats) check for air bubble leakage. If it is leaking air, seal it up good. (100% clear silicone has worked for me) Even if its a mast with a comptip installed on the top 1/3. There's tutorials on these forums to help you do it right.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

M in MI wrote:
You know what, considering all things, if your just starting out, strongly consider seriously, if you don't already have one, a mast bob or baby bob, and if not that, in addition and/or before you put your boat in, take your mast only, down to the water and see if it holds air, in the water (floats) check for air bubble leakage. If it is leaking air, seal it up good. (100% clear silicone has worked for me) Even if its a mast with a comptip installed on the top 1/3. There's tutorials on these forums to help you do it right.

Thanks!