Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is it just me and my wife? Today, we did a 2nd water test of a 2011 Oasis. The 1st time was 6 months ago. It seems like a great idea but when you actually do it, we were not impressed. Its no easier or better than paddleing, its just different. :?: Your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds to me your expectations were way way higher than most people. The Mirage drive is amazing and i couldn't believe how superior it was compared to paddling . There's absolutely no comparison .

There's a reason why Hobies sell out and they can't make them fast enough to please the demand and it's because people have tried them and they think they are amazing.

You know what they say, ya can't please everybody.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

whitewater wrote:
Is it just me and my wife? Today, we did a 2nd water test of a 2011 Oasis. The 1st time was 6 months ago. It seems like a great idea but when you actually do it, we were not impressed. Its no easier or better than paddleing, its just different. :?: Your thoughts.

Interesting to hear.

What exactly did you have a problem with? It's different to paddling yes and by the laws of physics more efficient. So is the issue one of something you are not used to or something else?
I suppose it depends on what you thought was going to be better as well, faster, less effort etc.

Tell us more.

Cc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just buy a paddle boat and let your wife sit up front and do all the paddling. That is the easiest way :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will never paddle as far, as fast nor as long, as the average person can stay on the Mirage Drive pedals.

Penguins come equipped with fins, not paddles, for a reason.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I bought a 2013 Oasis last fall and I suspect we would be done with our kayaking career (tandem) if we were paddling... no synchronization required with a pedal system! :-) we find it MUCH easier, esp as a tandem. Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a canoe once and paddled from willow beach AZ to Hoover Dam and back. I wish I knew about the Mirage drive then

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like somebody is trolling to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

whitewater wrote:
I wonder how your Drive is set up and adjusted.

-- It's much easier if your legs can extend fully.

-- The Drive should be easy to move by hand without much friction. If not, the cables are adjusted too tight (yes, they have been known to come from the factory that way). When installed, the Drive needs to be properly inserted into the drivewell.

--If you have ST or ST Turbo fins, your fin adjustment matters.

IMO, these three items make a HUGE difference in the ease, speed and fatigue you and your wife experience. Proper set-up is important -- your dealer should have gone over this with you.

Your seating position can also make a difference. With the Mirage Drive, the seats are normally much more reclined than with paddling so you're not drawing your legs all the way up to your torso.

Finally, if your legs are not used to the movement, it's easy to overdo in the beginning. It doesn't take long to learn to pace yourself though.

If you suspect any of these problems, the forum can help get them straightened out, if not your dealer! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my experience it is SOOOO much easier and more efficient than paddling that it leads me to suspect that you are doing something wrong/have got something in your set up not quite right... or are you and your wife Olympic-standard paddlers already ?!

RoadRunner is the guru on Mirage Drives on these forums (if not everything else related to Hobie kayaking) and in my experience his advice is very well-informed and carefully considered. I recommend strongly that you consider understanding and following the suggestions he has offered.

Whether RR has identified the problem correctly or not, if the reaction expressed in the other replies is anything to go by, it sounds as though something is amiss and a bit of application to finding the cause of your uninspiring experience to date might be worthwhile before you decide to shelve your Mirage kayaking ambitions.

Have you thought about trying to team up with some experienced Hobie mirage drive enthusiasts in your area to see if they can help you? I would offer but it's a bit of a pedal/paddle to my place !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whitewater wrote:
Its no easier or better than paddleing, its just different. Your thoughts.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your assessment. Some people really like paddling, and the glide that a great paddling kayak can give you. If you're a paddler with good form, there's nothing like paddling, no question about that.

For some people different is better, for others different is just different.

If you're not overly impressed with pedalling, and you haven't tried the Turbo Fins, I'd buy two pair of fins, get them properly adjusted, and see how you like the Oasis. You'll find that the boat can really move with turbo fins!

Finally, if you still find it to be different but no better or worse than paddling, I would hope that you're having a whole bunch of fun with the mirage drive. If you're not, there's probably something that isn't right, and I too would recommend following Roadrunner's advice to try to narrow down the issue.

There will always be people who prefer paddling over pedalling, but I have yet to meet someone who doesn't think the Mirage Drive is a lot of fun. It's not for everybody, but it should be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your legs are much stronger than your arms........... I can't believe that you'd rather be paddling...!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

(censored) wrote:
Your legs are much stronger than your arms........... I can't believe that you'd rather be paddling...!

True, then the illogical thing is that the surface area of a fin is much less than a paddle...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dregsfan wrote:
Sounds like somebody is trolling to me.

And the best way to troll is with the Mirage drive... Paddling makes it a nightmare...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you think there will be more posts from "whitewater"?
This was the first and only.
A little like entering a church, release a big loud fart, and leave. :lol:

br thomas