Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: aftermarket tramp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got my new tramp from tampa catamarans today. Looks like a great piece! Anyone else use this company? I like the fact the mess breaths better than vinyl. Oppinions welcome!

Post subject: Re: aftermarket tramp
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is what I have and it is great. Lasted very well the past two seasons out in the Florida sun. I got it for something like $115 at the time on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That makes me feel better! Did you lace it according to hobie or the company that made it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

blewbayou wrote:
That makes me feel better! Did you lace it according to hobie or the company that made it?

I don't remember exactly but I think I may have done the double zig-zag pattern that they suggested the first time I tightened it up. I don't remember the specifics. I loosened the lacing last winter so this past summer I had to re tighten the lacing. That time I think I just did the basic pattern. I don't think it really matters either way.

Lace it up to medium tightness at first, then go through and tighten it up again as tight as you can. Everyone has their own homemade tool that they swear by but I was able to do just fine on my own wearing my sailing gloves.

Oh and use a ratchet strap or mainsheet system to bow in the side bars. You'll find pictures of that somewhere on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have three boats... I have two new hobie tramps. Teal... And picked up on of these on ebay for bout 140. Black. I used their lace instructions. Sid go to Home Depot and get a 100 rope... Cheap. Worked well, so far works great... But time will compare. Since I just got new Tamali sails for my best boat, I'm going to have to swap out the teal hobie tramp for the budget black one just due to color.
So far they're comparible. I try to kee a cheap tarp over all the tramps to keep sun off when not being used.

We use two people to lace... One above, one under and we pass off back and forth as we pull the lacing tighter and tighter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put one on my boat last year, so far its great. I would have to say I like it better than the Hobie mesh tramps I've been on, seems to let less water spray up through it. I laced it the way they suggested. Its hard to put a $500 tramp on a $900 boat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where do you end up tieing ur knot in the laceing? Be easy pals "first timer here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12697

The pictures posted here provide the complete description. The figure-eight knot is tucked up in the corner casting. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put one of these on my boat in 2011, and laced it the double zigzag way also, it has held up well, but it doesnt like staying tight, there is some stretch, but for as cheap as it is, its a deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

UPDATE - it's been 4 ish years... I just power washed all my boats and to be honest, I'm surprised at the 140 buck tramp from Tampa.
LOOKS GREAT. (in many ways better than the hobie) the hobies often get this "white" looking specks especially around the edges.
The hobies have stained. But to be fair they were blue and a teal and the Tampa tramp is black.

Still sitting out in the sun and winter - the tampa tramp looks better than the hobie tramps. (but maybe that will change in the next couple years).

Ron