Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Better Ama Rentention
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've read a bit about the Island Ama bungees proving to possibly be problematic under certain extreme conditions. I know my Amas will pop up and down on high wind, rough water days. Some have reported using double bungee set ups to help in this regard. Others have reported failures. I think there is a better way to attach the Amas to the Akas.

Considering that Aka arms extend all the way down through the Amas, the bungees can be dispensed with entirely. If you remove the plastic end cap on the Aka end, and epoxy a nylon lock nut in place inside the opening, then reinstall the cap into the Aka, you can use a bolt/screw to hold a washer (I used a nylon washer trimmed to mimic the teardrop shape of the Ama underside opening) against the bottom of the Ama, which effectively pins the Ama to the Aka under any and all conditions. No slop, no drop, no loosening and provided you did a good job reinstalling the Aka end cap, a virtually fool-proof attachment.

In fact, if Hobie had the desire, they could mold in a little recess on the Ama bottom to accommodate a specialty fastener there, which I believe would be vastly superior to the bungee system currently in play.

I'm taking mine out this weekend and will report back with photos.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've thought of it too. Sounds good, but it has no give. So if the ama/aka connection gets overstressed, what's the next piece in line to give or to break?

I do look forward to your tests.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The real pressure on the Ama is "up," not down. The collar already prohibits the Ama from moving up on the Aka. The bungee is only there to keep the Ama in place when its own weight would otherwise cause it to drop off the Aka. There is no real stress in that direction, so a positive attachment there shouldn't cause any undue stress or problems. All the force lies with the Ama pushing up against the Aka. That's why a bungee, under most conditions, is sufficient to keep the Ama on the Aka ends. There isn't anything other than the weight of the Amas themselves, trying to pull the Amas off the Akas. The real pressure or force, is upwards, not downwards.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a great idea Tom, and there is nothing to stop you also leaving the bungees on for belt-n-braces redundancy.

Also, looking at this subject as covered in the Watertribe thread nearby, this method has no negative effect on folding the amas in like doubling the bungee strength etc. This would seem to be almost a compulsory mod for EC competitors, or indeed anyone tackling serious weather. It really is such a simple answer. Top job mate!

Show me the photos! :mrgreen:

PS. of course this is not such a good idea for those who need to dismantle their Island for transport...

Last edited by tonystott on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, there are fasteners that can be employed that would allow you to drop the Amas off just as quickly as you can with a bungee.

Assuming this is an area that could be improved, Hobie could do it very simply with a system that is just as quick yet far more reliable than the use of bungees.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still flexible enough to fold, had it this way for a year now.

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, you should have titled this “ No More Freaking Loud Rattly Amas!” Which is my biggest complaint with the setup. I am putting this on the list of mods. Oh Lord, finally a quiet sail! Seriously the things are noisy. I nominate Tom to the book of world records with the best Ama retention device ever! :D

Post subject: Re: Better Ama Retention
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's going to get better in about 30 minutes. Check back for the latest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll refine this a bit more as I go along, but am stopping here for now while I look at a lower retention system as I had originally planned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6f5GUUSFg0

By the way, if you're worried about losing the hitch pin, attach it to the retention clip via a small hole and a plastic wire tie.