Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can park up at Sandy Point without 4WD Tony, however you have this sand dune to contend with.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9451&p=48798&hilit=Broughton+Island#p48798

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, as I recall, Stringy suggested we get there via the beach to avoid having to schlep our AI's over that dune. Reckon it'd be twice the fun with a TI.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Nohuhu. Epic was certainly how it felt. I still can't believe we managed to get there and get through that cleft.

Tony,
The two closest points to access BI from the mainland are either Sandy Point or Little Gibber. Both require 4WD with tyres deflated as the sand is very soft.
The track to Sandy Point ends in a carpark one dune back from the beach. You are not allowed to drive on the beach North of Little Gibber. The dune is smaller now than it was when I first visited and wouldn't be too much of a problem.
You can drive on the beach South of Little Gibber and that is what we did this time. Little Gibber was nicely protected from the ENE swell and launching was easy. The drive along the beach was a real challenge with a trailer in tow but we got there. The Prado was doing it tough dragging the trailer through the sand, especially as one of the trailer tyres was completely flat. I must have let too much air out and it broke the bead! :roll: Didn't roll off the rim though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys! That definitely seals it for m.. Port Stephens it i. My Commodore wagon and trailer won't be going anywhere near that sand...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Epic trip stringey, well done.
That looks like an amazing bit of coastline, just a pitty it is so, so, so far from home for me.

Tony,
if I ever drive the Patrol over there, I would be happy to drag your TI and mine along the beach. That is sort of home ground for me over here in the sandy west.

Great bit of video stringey and a great expedition trip.
It is on my Bucket List now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Geordie. :)

Tony, I too would be happy to drag your TI there. My trailer has carried 2 AI's, A TI and an Oasis all at once, so 2 TI's wouldn't be that much of a problem. If you want to do BI comfortably as a day trip then it's either Little Gibber or Sandy Point as a launch site. I think a day trip from Port Stephens would be risky. Much better to make it an overnighter..or two.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, thanks for the offer, but the idea of using Port Stephens as a base for an overnighter (or even two nights) trips sounds way more appealing to me, especially since Sue would take her big Toyota Coaster to the base (I'm thinking Shoal Bay caravan park).

I guess a trip like that would be best held before the end of April, or after winter. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any time would suit me Tony. During the week is OK as I can arrange time off work. The big factor is the weather. We'd want a few stable days with no fronts due. The week before last when we did the day trip would have been perfect.