Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 732
Location: Indianapolis, IN
A blog that I follow mentioned wearing helmets today. Just thought I'd share and keep the conversation going. Although I probably won't personally wear a helmet, it is a good conversation for the sailing community to have.

http://propercourse.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... ref=tw&m=1

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 174
Location: SE Michigan / NE Indiana
Saw a team on an I20 at Tradewinds wearing helmets. Kind of surprised me, but not too much now that we see them on AC45, etc.

I wear one for both mountain biking and snow skiing, but thus far have not convinced myself of the need on my current boat (F18). Spin boats rarely travel out during a race, so the boom isn't as big of an issue. Also the beach cats only have a 8 or 8.5' beam so coming down after a capsize isn't as much of an issue as the big boats (20'+ beam).

That being said, I whacked my son on the head pretty hard a couple years ago during a gybe on my H18. Mostly my fault as I didn't communicate the timing very well. If I were to race one again in significant wind, I'd seriously consider it.

_________________
Jeff R
'88 H18 Jolly Mon
'10 F18 Closely Called
Sail Michigan's Great Lakes in 2014
cramsailing.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:48 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 39
I don;t think its that bad an idea. You can pick one of the kayak helmets up pretty cheap. Like this one http://www.rei.com/product/832809/nrs-h ... ter-helmet I used to wear one of the carbon fiber ones, very light, comfortable, and looked pretty cool- at least i thought so. They are so thin, you hardly know its there.

I only wish we had enough wind here in chattanooga to make it a necessity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Raleigh, NC
until i'm crewing in the america's cup, I can't see myself wearing a helmet for sailing. I've been smacked by booms a fair amount, and it hasn't affected me yet, aside from now having a few goose eggs . come to think of it, i should probably wear a helmet. what was i saying again?

_________________
'79 H16 "Carmelita"
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 732
Location: Indianapolis, IN
CherokeeSailor wrote:
until i'm crewing in the america's cup, I can't see myself wearing a helmet for sailing. I've been smacked by booms a fair amount, and it hasn't affected me yet, aside from now having a few goose eggs . come to think of it, i should probably wear a helmet. what was i saying again?

I'm in the same boat. I probably wouldn't do it until it was cool to wear a helmet. I've been konked on the head plenty of times and as soon as my spidey-senses feel it begin to make impact, I duck. Most of the time it's a jibe gone bad and I see it coming.

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:57 am
Posts: 1597
Location: Clear Lake Iowa
I would think that your inexperienced crew would/should appreciate your having a helmet for them on the boat. Big days especially, but even bumping your head while ducking the boom can be problematic for some people (like my wife....) if they hit their head on a metal boom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 234
Location: Storm Lake, IA
xanderwess wrote:
(like my wife....)

Your Wife won't sail with you... Thats just silly!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:03 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Posts: 4580
Location: Detroit, MI
hobieandy wrote:
xanderwess wrote:
(like my wife....)

Your Wife won't sail with you... Thats just silly!

Kelly's just smarter than you give her credit for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:24 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 234
Location: Storm Lake, IA
That's exactly what I mean!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Raleigh, NC
PurdueZach wrote:
CherokeeSailor wrote:
until i'm crewing in the america's cup, I can't see myself wearing a helmet for sailing. I've been smacked by booms a fair amount, and it hasn't affected me yet, aside from now having a few goose eggs . come to think of it, i should probably wear a helmet. what was i saying again?

I'm in the same boat. I probably wouldn't do it until it was cool to wear a helmet. I've been konked on the head plenty of times and as soon as my spidey-senses feel it begin to make impact, I duck. Most of the time it's a jibe gone bad and I see it coming.


haha, I usually end up getting hit when i tack, since I expect my boom to swing over fast when I jibe, i make sure to duck extra low and extra early. i have a way of hitting myself on the boom in a tack :?

_________________
'79 H16 "Carmelita"
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 428
Location: Indianapolis, IN
When I was the Safety Chairman of my sailing club, I always recommended to new members as part of their orientation that they wear some sort of hat. Not only for sun protection, but just to have another layer on top for something to snag besides skin or hair. The boom has rivets or other hardware, blocks have sharp edges, wires can have loose strands; any of which can peel open skin. Even a ball cap can prevent a messy and painful (if not serious) head wound.

Once, I was explaining to a guest how my Wave was a bit safer than a boat with a solid boom, when a wind shift caused the sail to swing around and smack me flat in the face. I had to grit my teeth and say "See... that didn't hurt a bit!"

_________________
What - Me Worry?


2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Ontario, Canada
IndyWave wrote:
Once, I was explaining to a guest how my Wave was a bit safer than a boat with a solid boom, when a wind shift caused the sail to swing around and smack me flat in the face. I had to grit my teeth and say "See... that didn't hurt a bit!"


:D

That's the kind of thing that only happens when there's a witness nearby!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 605
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
IndyWave wrote:
When I was the Safety Chairman of my sailing club, I always recommended to new members as part of their orientation that they wear some sort of hat. Not only for sun protection, but just to have another layer on top for something to snag besides skin or hair. The boom has rivets or other hardware, blocks have sharp edges, wires can have loose strands; any of which can peel open skin. Even a ball cap can prevent a messy and painful (if not serious) head wound.

Once, I was explaining to a guest how my Wave was a bit safer than a boat with a solid boom, when a wind shift caused the sail to swing around and smack me flat in the face. I had to grit my teeth and say "See... that didn't hurt a bit!"

Sorry IW, that is some funny stuff...........


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 428
Location: Indianapolis, IN
I was out sailing yesterday, and the only other boats on the water were lots of bass boats (there must have been a tournament). Several of the fishermen were wearing full helmets. Is fishing really that dangerous? Do bass fight back that much?

_________________
What - Me Worry?


2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailing helmets?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:27 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:23 am
Posts: 522
Location: Lake Norman NC
I have seen a lot of wind many many waves have sailed and owned on most of the fiberglass Hobies. I have been brused and cut many times however This Former Hobie Admiral sees no real reason to wear a helmet High End PFD you bet a boat in ship shape condition check emergency hobie stuff double check
If it is blowing hard enough for helments It would be a good time to stay on shore and drink several cans of Coors de Light


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group