Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Revise the pockets, yes. Change the netting too.

An 8" square hatch increases the opening size over the 8" round. Probably would seal as well. You'll also need a higher deck to fit much larger objects inside the hull.

Speaking of which, being able to fit ANY Hobie accessory, including the MIRAGE DRIVE inside the front hatch is a basic requirement not currently being met.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Speaking of which, being able to fit ANY Hobie accessory, including the MIRAGE DRIVE inside the front hatch is a basic requirement not currently being met.

Bingo! The one design change that I would like to see on all Mirage Drive kayaks, is either a hatch that fits the mirage drive, or a molding on the hull or some attachment that will hold the drive securely in place, but out of the water, and not take up the entire rear deck storage area. A Mirage Drive leash is great for keeping it from falling overboard, but it's not a solid or secure solution to holding the drive.

So, in the hatch, or securely attached on the boat somewhere would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:

Ah yes, I can JUST fit one mirrage drive in the front hatch of the TI as it is a little deeper in the hull space than the AI. But it is just not quite big enough to fit the second one in on top.

Regarding the round twist lock hatches:

I have cut the lip out of the base of the hatch all the way round except for enough to suppport thre twist lock. The Hobie gear buckets will not sit in any more. This gives me plenty of extra clearance to fit my fishing tackle boxes and safety gear into the hatch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would wish for a Hobie AI with a flying keel... check this out Hobie !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3mQNLTuJRI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great - and put one of these in it for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fishman-rd--21 min--very interesting. Thanks for posting it. I watched it as I was having dinner.

There was one thing the creative inventor said that caught my attention and was applicable to an AI. He said something like this referring to the hull: "sometimes it goes over the waves and sometimes under the waves. Therefore, we had to design it to shed water very quickly." That is something Hobie might give some thought.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug wrote:
Bingo! The one design change that I would like to see on all Mirage Drive kayaks, is either a hatch that fits the mirage drive, or a molding on the hull or some attachment that will hold the drive securely in place, but out of the water, and not take up the entire rear deck storage area. A Mirage Drive leash is great for keeping it from falling overboard, but it's not a solid or secure solution to holding the drive.

So, in the hatch, or securely attached on the boat somewhere would be great!

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a one man band forever playing the same song, but since I got my quarterdeck, I just lay my Mirage drive in the drivewell when I pull it. It gets in the way if you are sitting in the seatwell, but if I'm not pedalling, I have no reason to sit down there getting a wet bum anyway. With my weight aft, I don't have a problem with the bow submerging either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
fishman-rd--21 min--very interesting. Thanks for posting it. I watched it as I was having dinner.

There was one thing the creative inventor said that caught my attention and was applicable to an AI. He said something like this referring to the hull: "sometimes it goes over the waves and sometimes under the waves. Therefore, we had to design it to shed water very quickly." That is something Hobie might give some thought.

Keith
I liked what he had to say too. But we'll have to see if Vlad's design "completely changes" sailing in 10 years. This is NOT a boat for the masses, though.

Funny thing is, a couple months ago, I was sailing by, and actually standing on the dock next to his shipbuilder in Thomaston, Maine. Naturally, I was googling boats,..

I followed this classic old wood beauty into harbor in stiff 15+ knot winds, and then watched the skipper dock it single handed under full sail. Jib up too. Landed right at the boatbuilders pier. Humbling to watch. :oops:

It was the week they first launched the Speeddream, but I did not see Vlad's experimental carbon fiber boat there. Did see lots of nice boats for sale - and a potential upgrade from my AI.

Waddaya think? Those Amas are over 5 feet high.

Not worried that this one will sink, but if I flip it, there's an escape hatch on the bottom of the hull. :shock:

I'll be back up there this summer and will keep an eye out for the "worlds fastest monohull". Maybe get us a spy shot. Maybe a test flight!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny you mention that guy docking under sail. I had a somewhat different experience in my Ron Holland quarter tonner racing yacht. Being full of bravado, I sailed right into the yacht club lagoon, no doubt showing off to the club members on the verandah, when, right in front of us, an Etchells 22 was pushed out from the dock!
The scene of the crime and the guilty yacht

Did I tell you we were flying a masthead spinnaker at the time, pulling 6+ knots?

With zero time to spare, I let the spinnaker halyard go and one of the crew jumped up and dragged the kite down instantly. I let the mainsheet go too, and spun the yacht through 90 degrees (luckily its 5 foot fin keel was good for this, and believe it or not, I HAD practised crash stops!). The thing literally stopped in its tracks, and we (superficially) calmly continued packing up the sails and readying dock lines, like we always docked like this. Luckily I was young enough at the time that my heart didn't actually jump out of my chest. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They don't have "no wake" zones down there?

So, did all the boats give way to you after that little show?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Weren't invented in the 70s :mrgreen: Actually, that yacht hardly made any wash.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would like Hobie to supply buckles for holding up the seatbacks that don't slip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Chrisj;
I hope you have a stout cord afixed to an appropriate anchor point and tied to your Mirage drive when you just lay it in your cockpit...that Irish bloke Murphy is always ever present! A new Mirage Drive complete is around $650 here in Oz if your current one joins the fish! :x
Cheers Vintagereplica
If it works ok...modify it anyway

Last edited by Vintagereplica on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vintagereplica wrote:
G'day Chrisj;
I hope you have a stout cord afixed to an appropriate ancher point and tied to your Mirage drive when you just lay it in your cockpit...that Irish bloke Murphy is always ever present! A new Mirage Drive complete is around $650 here in Oz if your current one joins the fish! :x
Cheers Vintagereplica
If it works ok...modify it anyway

Yeah, I always tether it to the front crossbar with a surfboard leash.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

we (superficially) calmly continued packing up the sails and readying dock lines, like we always docked like this. Luckily I was young enough at the time that my heart didn't actually jump out of my chest. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Well Tony, the above statement adds support to the saying ...If it works...whistle a happy tune to keep your mouth shut!
Cheers Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next