Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All. New member. We just purchased this Hobie 14. It has come with everything we need and a few things we don't.

First de-lamination. The topsides of the pontoons are soft. You can depress them in areas. Mostly in front of the mast, a little under the tramps. I've done some reading on this board and other places.

Am I understanding correctly when I say there should be no movement in the topsides of the pontoon? I have some experience with fiberglass and gelcoat repair but i wanted to be sure.

Also. Some of the hardware where the standing rigging attaches look questionable. I have attached pictures of course...

TIA for any input.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GinoJingles wrote:
First de-lamination....

Also. Some of the hardware where the standing rigging attaches look questionable.

Gino, the prognosis for this boat is not good. I really hope you did not pay too much for it because, from your pictures and description, the hulls are damaged beyond repair. Soft spots along entire top of the hull are a major structural problem and in almost every case, they are not worth repairing- making this a parts boat at best.

I would not recommend sailing this boat on any body of water deeper than 18 inches or 1/4 mile in diameter....

sm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm. thanks for the reply. I do not understand as I see many threads here with soft spots being repaired.

You say soft spots are not worth repairing. Or only when they are the entire length of hull?

One of my hulls has maybe 2/3 length. Front worse and middle not to bad.

The port hull only has these soft spots up front only. The lower portions are all fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:(

srm.......

I was hoping for some better news. I bought this for 500 bucks for the family to tool around on in the bay and inter-coastal. The Soft spots depress about and 1/8 to 1/4" in front of the tramp when I step on them and I weigh about 230lbs. I wish I knew more about this problem before I bought it, another 500 bucks I probably could have found one a bit newer and sail ready. It was hard to pass up for that price because I've been looking for one for a while......

I think we will try the epoxy trick and see how it does.

The top sides of the hulls should not give at all??? I thought that it would depress a little bit under weight, but I just didn't know.

Thoughts???

Gino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, parts boat for sure. You could take it out on the water but be prepared to not bring it back. Looks like the shroud connection points to the sidebar will pull out easily- demasting for sure.

I'm not sure how much you paid for it but I'm fairly certain you can recoup your costs if you need to. Looks like you have a solid trailer ($100- $200), mast ($50- $100), and rudder system ($50- $150), tramp ($100), and aftermarket sail ($100). All of these prices are definitely ballpark estimates but the point is you're not totally out of luck. It would take some patience to find people who need to buy these parts though.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the forum can help you locally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first Hobie I drove down to Bloomington, IN (2 hour drive) and paid $50 for 2 hulls, nothing else. The hulls were worthless. You'll quickly figure out what things are worth in the Hobie world.

The other lesson I learned is don't trust an IU grad... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are in New Port Richey, FL. $500

We are deciding what to do. We may try a section and see if it takes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GinoJingles wrote:
I do not understand as I see many threads here with soft spots being repaired.

You say soft spots are not worth repairing. Or only when they are the entire length of hull?

One of my hulls has maybe 2/3 length. Front worse and middle not to bad.

The port hull only has these soft spots up front only. The lower portions are all fine.

Small soft spots can be repaired by injection if they're caught early. "Large" areas of soft spots are generally not worth repairing. 2/3rds of the hull is beyond a large area. Large areas in front of the forward pylon are almost always not worth repairing. The problem is that if you have large areas of soft spots, most likely the foam core has deteriorated (so the problem is more than just delamination). The deck should have virtually zero flex when you press down on it with your hand. It should have a very crisp, solid sound when you knock on it with your knuckles or with a coin.

You can try injecting the deck but at the very best, you will end up using a lot of epoxy meaning significant additional weight. Most likely, injection will not fix the problem and you'll be throwing good money after bad.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well folks we purchased another Hobie 14. Hulls are solid and with the first one we have backups for just about everything. I rigged the new cat with the Doyle sail from the first one and went sailing today! I had steady southerlies about 10-12 knots. It was a great day. Thanks for all the help and I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

More sailing to come tomorrow I'm sure.

Gene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

THEGNPOOL wrote:
Well folks we purchased another Hobie 14. Hulls are solid and with the first one we have backups for just about everything.

Wow, Gene! Getting a second H14 with good hulls was definitely the best solution. Glad you were able to do it so quickly. Enjoy!

I sailed a club-owned H14 regularly in Dakar, Senegal, and always thought it was a blast. Still trying to figure out where and how to go Hobie sailing back here in the US.