Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

I'm toying with the idea of mounting a trolling motor on the BOW of my PA 14 (detachable). I was looking at picking up an older foot controlled unit and converting it into a single hand controlled system. Remote control would even be better.

My reason for this is not transportation, but for fishing points and banks. This way I could have ultimate control and maintain my position on windy days etc. My reason for putting it up front is simple. You have more control pulling something than pushing it. (example: pulling a trailer vs backing one).

I would only be operating this unit at low speeds so I think battery life would be good.

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, did you like the results? Looking for any input.

Thanks,

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This works great. It is a Watersnake ASP T24S mounted in a foam filled Cassette Plug with a six inch 1/2 inch diameter aluminum rod replacing the plastic nubs for the click system. It is right at your fingertips for control and you can move the boat forward, backward and sideways if you want. With a lithium ion battery it is a good transport motor as well.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If your main objective is to stay on a spot then I would not go through the trouble of placing one up front. Seems to open a large can of worms. Tom's design is pretty simple and he is on this site a lot.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzLB8-ghvw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guess it depends where you are fishing. If there is a concern about wave action even with just a storm then a front mount will make the PA fron heavy and bury even more into the waves. Remember........ the PA has a tendency to plow thru waves then to ride them as compared to alot of other yaks.

I like a rear mount with reverse so I can position. Also you will have to deal with the engine more when playing a fish if you keep the bow pointed at the structure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=37088&hilit=i+pilot

Here's a link to an older post where a fella did exactly what you are describing. (scroll to the bottom of the post to see the pictures.) Make no mistake...I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! :D

Couple of things: The motor shaft really needs a hair cut. Also, notice how he has it mounted. It's difficult for me to tell but it looks like he bolted the quick release base to a piece of wood which was drilled right through the front lift handle.

Of all the motor options out there this is the one I would invest in. I love the idea of using the anchor lock feature in order to hold position over a school of crappie. I wouldn't have to worry about wind, current, or deploying an invasive anchor in the heat of the bite.

There's an aweful lot I like about this type of setup and I would cheer you on if you decide to implement this system in your PA.

You may want to consider asking Tom about this type of setup. I like the way that man thinks and engineers his designs. I don't know him personally, but I have enjoyed reading his posts and I think it would be worth your while to speak/PM with him.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AllElectricPA14 wrote:
This works great. It is a Watersnake ASP T24S mounted in a foam filled Cassette Plug with a six inch 1/2 inch diameter aluminum rod replacing the plastic nubs for the click system. It is right at your fingertips for control and you can move the boat forward, backward and sideways if you want. With a lithium ion battery it is a good transport motor as well.

AllElectric really liking your set up and would like more details, how did you insert the shaft through the Hobie plug, how efficient is it battery on the low and high speed. How long have been using it and any other info you would like to share. It seems like at that price it's a no brainer, if you would rather PM that's fine. Thanks