Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: AI or TI?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I know of 1, (seriously). Does yours make "2" mickey? :lol:

Not sure I can blame the TI for it but I have had one since owning it. :cry:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I had a small one, but the TI wasn't the cause, but it could easily be in the future if I'm not careful and smart while handling it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Geordie wrote:
Hey Thomas,
don't take our preference for the TI as anything against the AI.

I don't!
But there were 5 posts before mine that pointed out TI as the given winner. So I thought there was a need to post something in favor to the AI. And I was not alone!
Now there is a better balance in this thread.

@VaBeach1
No you cant go wrong with either! It all depends on how you are going to use it. I belive I would prefer the TI when sailing (solo or not), but in every other situation I think am happier with my AI. Said by me who just have seen one (1!) TI irl.

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe a TI needs a trailer, and if you have one, there is no reason why there is any risk to your health.

And Thomas, it isn't a popularity poll, he wanted to know whether a TI or AI would be more practical for occasional trips with three on board. Only the TI really meets that criterion. Nobody is putting down the AI.

I have sailed both, and reckon they are equally good at solo sailing, but without a trailer, the TI is probably too heavy to easily handle out of the water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
I believe a TI needs a trailer, and if you have one, there is no reason why there is any risk to your health.

And Thomas, it isn't a popularity poll, he wanted to know whether a TI or AI would be more practical for occasional trips with three on board. Only the TI really meets that criterion. Nobody is putting down the AI.

I have sailed both, and reckon they are equally good at solo sailing, but without a trailer, the TI is probably too heavy to easily handle out of the water.

Tony, I trailer both. I have rooftopped the Ai - but rarely and only due to exceptional circumstances.
A lot of my mates started off rooftopping their AIs but over time, almost everyone of them now trailers it.
I am gobsmacked when I see the TI rooftopped :shock:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Geordie:
I reckon your TI would be a fantastic ride (albiet a wet ride) pushing off from Cottosloe when the Fremantle Doc comes a visiting.
Cheers Vintagereplica Darwin NT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mickeymouse wrote:
Agree with both of these points.
I did forget to mention that with the TI there is a far greater chance that you will need a hernia operation or two if you are not very careful. :( :cry: :o

Ah well I have been launching and recovering my TI by myself for two years now mostly using the trailer. They must breed them tougher down-under.

I also occasionally get it up on the roof rack of my 4x4 and drag it over the beach but I must admit that is getting to the limit of my capability. So maybee I had better be cautious or: hernia here we come.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Vintagereplica wrote:
Hey Geordie:
I reckon your TI would be a fantastic ride (albiet a wet ride) pushing off from Cottosloe when the Fremantle Doc comes a visiting.
Cheers Vintagereplica Darwin NT

Ah yes it is prety good here over the summer when we get a nice strong offshore easterly in the morning to take me out and a ripping south westerly sea breeze (the Fremantle Doctor) in the afternoon to bring me back prety fast.

I have been out in 25 to 30 knotts and up to 35-38 knott gusty winds but that became less than fun.

At the other extreme, I sailed a fair way from the launch site a month ago and then the wind just died alltogether, it was a fairly hot and humid day (not by Darwin standards but 38C). I was about 15 km from home and solo in the big TI with sail up, heavily loaded with gear and no wind at all, 15 km seemed like a fairly long pedal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:

You are right, of course!
But he also wanted 90% solo riding, that would have been a tough call for me. With 2 persons to carry, lift and 4 hands, 4 legs always available, there will be no problems.
I would love to have a TI, but not for solo rides.

Maybe best solution is to have both! :D :D

br thomas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mickeymouse wrote:
NOHUHU wrote:
Even with a trailer, it's always better to have 2 (capable) people while launching and recovering the TI. So if this fits your plans go get a DEMO!

I would measure the driveway/yard/garage first. It's a big craft. Don't bite off more than you can store. :wink:

Agree with both of these points.
I did forget to mention that with the TI there is a far greater chance that you will need a hernia operation or two if you are not very careful. :( :cry: :o

Quote:

OK, now ya'll got me scared to go sailing! What are you guys doin with your Tandem Islands? I have a friend who solo launches his 24 foot Sea Ray with 2 bridges, a galley, a bathroom, and twin chevy automotive engines. Must weigh a couple of tons. Every time I go to the launch some guy or gal is launching a 400 or 600 pound wooden sail boat, or jet ski, or power boat with an outboard motor big enough to sink a TI and pin it to the bottom.

I've never had an AI, so I can't compare it to a TI. But when my back problems got bad I gave up car topping a 60 pound kayak and started trailering a 200 pound TI. So far my back is happy about the decision. Well -- that was not true for the first couple of weeks. I got the light weight Trail-X aluminum trailer and lifted the tongue to move it to the car and on to the hitch. In the water I lifted the bow onto the cradle. Then for the next month I used cold packs and pain killers and got no sympathy from my wife -- a normally kind compassionate nurse.

After recovery I made a firm decision that a TI is a big boat, not a kayak. Would have been the same decision for an AI. Thirty pounds of lifting is my comfortable limit. So I upgraded the trailer with a trailer jack, a winch (which I don't need most of the time -- but is super useful now and then), and a roller at the aft end of the tongue. I also got a trailer dolly for moving it around the yard and driveway. And I modified the trailer by putting the tongue under the frame box -- lowering the boat several inches so that it floats on easier. Again -- I would have done all that for either a TI or an AI.

Once I made the decision to launch from a boat ramp and store the vessel on a trailer, it matters little whether it weighs 100 pounds or 200 pounds -- or 600 for that matter. The only time I needed help at the boat ramp was taking out with a strong tideal current flowing past/over the ramp. Some one hanging out nearby took pity and cranked the winch while I stood next to the hull and aimed it parallel to the trailer. I think the situation would have been the same an AI.

VaBeach1,
I have similar needs to yours. I solo sail about 90% of the time. But the other 10% is very important. I love to share the ride with my wife, friends, and relatives. The second seat on a TI is wonderful. The boat sails great with either one or two people in it. I do find it a drag to pedal when the wind dies. I imagine the AI is easier. Plan to solve that problem with an electric motor and solar cell someday.

Keith,
When talking about camping you say, " To lug a TI around on beaches is truly a pain." Do you mean hauling it all the way out and above high tide line? Or are you talking about bringing near to a good camp site? I hope to try camping with the TI sometime and I'm wondering how you do that. Beaches here are more like barnacle covered rocks than sand. Between the problem of sharp barnacles and the weight of either a TI, an AI, or a regular kayak -- beach dragging is not an option for me. I suspect I'd anchor out and use a long rope to tie off to a tree.

VaBeach1, good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Puget wrote:
The only time I needed help at the boat ramp was taking out with a strong tideal current flowing past/over the ramp. Some one hanging out nearby took pity and cranked the winch while I stood next to the hull and aimed it parallel to the trailer. I think the situation would have been the same an AI.

Nah, with an AI, it's easy to haul the boat up a boat ramp on its scupper cart, even if you then load it onto a trailer. I've never used a trailer, but I imagine it would be more of a hassle to back the trailer down into the water and to have to manoeuvre the boat on.

It's fairly easy to haul an AI over firm sand up past high tide mark. A couple of times, I've even disassembled the boat and carried the hull over rough ground, though I admit that's moving toward hernia territory.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Puget--yes, I'm talking of hauling an AI/TI out of the water to above the high tide line. Here in S FL, including along coastal Everglades, we have plenty of beaches. I suppose you could anchor off shore, but I don't know anyone who does that--and we only have 3-5' tides. In your case with much higher tides, anchoring off shore would have to be done carefully. It would entail hauling a substantial anchor--I've become weight averse, so I wouldn't like that at all. I don't carry an anchor, but I do carry a 100' rope. I do know 1-2 TI owners that do carry an anchor. It is for anchoring their boat AFTER it is above the high tide line, just in case.

You might enjoy reading my picture story about my recent 7-day (aborted to 6) trip along coastal Everglades. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=202146#p202146 I hauled my AI above the hi tide line every day.

I would think, if you looked carefully in your area, that you could find beaches. The question would be are they above the hi tide line. Of course, there is the nagging question, even if you have a beach, can you lug the TI above the hi tide line--probably not. Anchoring may be your only choice.

Chrisj has replied as I write this. I agree with Chris' comments.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hassle to back the trailer? Don't tell me you have a car with auto-park! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I've never done it Tony, but watching others, it seems you have to moor your boat while you go and get the car, then wait till it's your turn to use the ramp. I can usually just fold my amas in and pull the boat up the ramp, even if someone is using a trailer at the same time.
I have no problem manipulating a trailer. I used to own one (not a boat trailer).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As I get older, I am all for making life as easy as possible.
Trailer for TI trips close to home where I can launch at a boat ramp or tow over a beach.

Roof top with a Rhino Rack side boat loader (which uses an 18 volt cordless drill as the winch power to pull the boat up). This is great for remote area 4x4 trips.

But it is still a big heavy boat to drag up above the high tide line on a beach to camp. So I am thinking of using my anchor in the sand accompanied by a sail mainsheet block and rope to help pull. Not sure if it will work yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next