Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like the trailering backwards idea... I guess this only works if you un-pin the rudders.
On a second thought ... if something would go wrong while stepping the mast that would not turn out to well for your own car?!
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stealing from a parallel thread on another forum...

If you dont normally remove your rudders for trailering,

Cut notches in a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe (to match width of rudders) and strap over the top of the mast, keeping pressure on the whole rudder assembly to minimize movement. In theory sounds OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the tighten every couple of miles idea too. Even the best nylon straps stretch when they are wet.

Last edited by Hobie One Kenobi on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
They are the same thing. You can get ratcheting tie downs for the hulls and the friction locks like in the above post. Plus you can get a package of 4 for less than $20 in the stores.
[/quote]

Trust me, they are not the same thing. Using the cheap straps I have lost more whitewater boats than I can count on one hand. At least whitewater boats can take a few drops @ 60mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As with anything, look at what you are buying. Look at the load rating for the straps and allow yourself a personal saftey factor for the load they are rated. Also, after a year or two in the sun, replace the straps. UV is not nylon's friend. This is the case no matter where you purchase the straps. This would fall under preventative maintenece for your trailer.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, sometimes it would seem that I work on my trailer more than I work on the boat itself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

some good info here!

Post subject: Re: trailering
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RJ Messier wrote:
ALSO , THink about trailiering the boat Correctly, I know I am going to get a lot of laughs for this but, trailer the boat Sterns (rudders) first. Then Place the Back post over the front rollers of the trailer gives the best togue weight, There is a reason, When it comes time to put up the mast, leave the trailer attached to the car, Roll the boat off half way till the back post are over the back rollers. Then a single person acon walk up the mast, and place the bridle pin all by their lonesome, I use to do this when I was 15 years old. it works great, but a lot of people will stare and ask why you tow your boad backwards>>

I may try this backward towing...[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4RxwvjKtM&sns=em[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: trailering
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
I may try this backward towing...

Doesn't it seem like the boat hangs off the back a lot more than when it is facing forward?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

looks like it had been pushed back some already. But yeah, I imagine it may stick out the back a bit more, just depends on how your trailer is balanced. You want about 60 % or more of the weight to the tongue side of center. Too much weight back and trailer will want to sway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have my Hobie sitting in the yard off the trailer while working on both. Will load the Hobie and see how it balances out, will take a pic.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Eaton wrote:
Thought this to be a good rule of thumb,

Check the straps' tension at 1 mile, 10 miles and 100 miles, and then every 100 miles after. From personal experience, straps that were wet when put on will loosen after the blow dry.

You're not going tight enough son. :lol:

I use the 2" wide 5k# straps. I crank until it creaks. Ancra is a good brand.

I leave here, drive 1400 miles to Florida, and everything is just as tight as when I left.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Karl Brogger wrote:
John Eaton wrote:
Thought this to be a good rule of thumb,

Check the straps' tension at 1 mile, 10 miles and 100 miles, and then every 100 miles after. From personal experience, straps that were wet when put on will loosen after the blow dry.

You're not going tight enough son. :lol:

I use the 2" wide 5k# straps. I crank until it creaks. Ancra is a good brand.

I leave here, drive 1400 miles to Florida, and everything is just as tight as when I left.

Hobie 16's (remember those?) are banana boats and mostly travel on trailers with single rollers (unlike Karl's nearly rocker-less boats strapped, front to back, over the beams, on a carpeted snowmobile trailer).
Loads shift during transport, usually forward, and what seems to be nice and snug in the parking lot will more than likely loosen up after bouncing around a bit on our (winky by comparison) trailers. I was merely trying to get folks in the habit of stopping, getting out, and checking their straps/load (and I have more than once found something laying on the tramp I forgot to put in the trunk at that one mile stop :oops: )

any way Karl, have a nice Summer...all three weeks of it :P

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The problem with trailer loads is that when you combine bouncing and other movement, the pressure against strapping will vastly exceed the weight of the item. This is why strapping stretches. With practice, you can nail the right tension the first time you tighten, but you need to understand that you have to balance tension to deforming the load.

Tighten, drive ten miles, check. If the adjustment is major, tighten, drive another ten miles, check again. Once you get to just needing a very minor adjustment, start your regular routine. This should be 100 to 150 miles between stops (roughly two to three hours of driving).

At each stop, check your hubs immediately upon stopping. How hot are they? If you can't put your hand on them, they're too warm. Get a drink, go to the bathroom, and return to your vehicle. Check strapping (it may have come loose during the trip, or some dastardly person might have loosened it in the parking lot). Check lug nuts, ball hitch, safety chain, anything loose, damage. You never can check too much.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I connect the jib lines to the bridal. The trap dogbones go onto the jib track release. The shrouds and trap wires come to the back of the boat and I use 2 small bungee cords to hold the wires to the mast around the comptip. Done this for years with no problems. Makes it really easy to setup later.