Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK,

First I have to voice my disappointment. I owned my 2008 revolution many years and unless the water was very choppy or I wanted my butt wet I stayed high and dry. The new replacement 2012 hull has left me sitting in a puddle of water for then entire day even in 6" waves every time I go out. I know this has been hashed over before.

The problem is the new handle design with the concave recess that acts as a funnel on any broadside wave regardless of size. The water funnels up into a plume up over and in your lap. The scuppers closed you sit in a puddle.

I know open the scuppers and you won't have a puddle but you do get a recurring backwash into your seat. Sorry Hobie I wish I still had my 2008 model.

I know there is no solution to this dilemma to totally avoid the wet butt with the current hull design. We have to make adaptations to minimize the effect.
I hope Hobie is working on a solution for the next hull release.

#1 create a deflector/diveter at the top of the recess to divert water away from hull.
#2 Self draining scuppers as a secondary means of keeping water out.

Now for MY adaptation of the scuppers:
I have created a ball check valve within the existing scupper plug. The prototype has worked very well screwed through a tupperware container and pressed into a tub of water. No water return through scupper and it drains steadily when filled. I built two and screwed them into the revolution and took it out on the lake behind my house. I filled my seat with water several times with a cup and it drained while sitting still and in motion (faster with venturi effect). The scupper keeps its retainer clips so won't get lost when you do want them open.

It does not stop wet butt but it does stop the gathering puddle and prevents backwash back into the seat. I have a couple adjustments and will share pics & process soon.

I am working on the deflector/diverter over the top of the handle recess as well to stop the unwanted fountain in the lap.

Love of the revolution got dampened,

Revo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since I didn't have a Revo before 2012, I never knew there was a difference. I always assumed the puddle in the seat area was just par for the course.
Thankfully I live in south Florida (waitaminute so do you?) and the water in the cockpit is often refreshing on a hot day, but I could see how this would be an annoyance in colder water/climates.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy or keep the yak you like and buy a pair of breatable Kokatat Tempest Pants w/ socks to wear while yaking or fishing and yaking.

If you want to start early in the season and then extend your yaking season in the fall early winter. This is the way to go. Your feet, ankles and lower legs stay warm and dry as the rest of your body waist down. No more wet butts and wet/cold feet when we wear our K's.

Some evil genius must have designed other Kayak pants without attached waterproof socks/feet. If your feet get wet while launching a yak, they will stay wet/cold the rest of the trip. So we went to the Kokatat Tempest Pants with the built in feet/socks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
Since I didn't have a Revo before 2012, I never knew there was a difference. I always assumed the puddle in the seat area was just par for the course.
Thankfully I live in south Florida (waitaminute so do you?) and the water in the cockpit is often refreshing on a hot day, but I could see how this would be an annoyance in colder water/climates.

The problem is not water temps but sitting in 2" of water for hours on end. The revolution 11 seat well stays filled until you either open the scuppers or bail it out.
Sometimes not so easy to do when you are a long distance from shore. This was never the case with the 2008 - 2010 hull. I only sat in water when it was intended or in rough surf when keeping the scuppers open was needed. In 1 - 2 foot waves I never had a wave go over the side in the old hull. Fishing in Chokoloskee Bay every 6" wave that hit me broadside or near broadside funneled up the handle recess and into my lap. I was trying to bail every few minutes and it became pointless. Then it was how to open a scupper under my butt when 1 mile away from shore. I sat side saddle and got them open only to have backwash constantly. So IMO there is a NEED for self bailing scuppers and/or deflector above the handle recess. A friend of mine bought a new revolution for his wife and an outback for himself. His wife says she always has a puddle in her seat and he said the Outback is always dry. Different handle design in the Outback I assume.

Anyway I posted my solution for a self draining scupper. This weekend I will be making the deflector. The material is being delivered today.

Revo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Revo,
I have also tried a little wave deflector under the back edge of the carry handles, just to help stop the water scoop effect you mentioned where it ends up in your lap.
Just a simple bit of thin flat plastic cut and bent to be a upsidedown scoop shape. Secured under the rear bolt of the carry handle. Also with a 1.5" thick EVA foam under my seat and a drain valve, it all helps to keep the bum up and out of the puddle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea Geordie,

I just received my neoprene rubber sheet and will be trying a few ideas.

My first is an eyeball shaped rubber gasket atop the gunnel over the recess. Plenty of room on the revolution above it but I see your turning handle is right above the recess (not sure what model you have). That limits your attachment area.

My plan is a soft flexible projection out over the recess but one that will still allow your hand to pass to utilize the handle. Won't be the prettiest fix but should do the job.

I like your idea of behind the handle. I may be able to run across the recess attached at each end and in the center with some silicone along the bottom edge and follow the curve of recess up and out a little. Just enough to shoot the water outward away from hull. The soft rubber will let your hand bypass easily. I will pool test a few ideas before any screws or silicone are used to be permanent.

The rubber sheet info - cheap and got it in just a few days.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/42965 ... nQodC2UAyg

Revo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my Revo 11 this winter and I, too, thought this was par for the course. And to be honest, opening the plugs doesn't seem to make any difference. Once there is a half inch of water it stays there. And of course, that is all it takes. I've been scratching my head wondering if there is some trick I'm not aware of. I'll be watching to see how the deflector shield works

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

oldgoat01 wrote:
I got my Revo 11 this winter and I, too, thought this was par for the course. And to be honest, opening the plugs doesn't seem to make any difference. Once there is a half inch of water it stays there. And of course, that is all it takes. I've been scratching my head wondering if there is some trick I'm not aware of. I'll be watching to see how the deflector shield works

Well the deflector on the handles certainly helps. I am sailing in a TI so there is quite a lot of water splash when at speed. This definitely helps direct it back down rather than straight into my lap. It is not perfect but helps.

As far as stiitng in the puddle, have a look at some of the ideas in these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=36172&p=149181&hilit

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=45564

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46889

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=45380

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Revo, do you have any pics of your new system you could post? I also find that puddle highly annoying on just about all the boats. I am having a little trouble visualizing your plugs from your lengthy description. Thank you for coming up with a workaround!

Mariner Sails Wind & Watersports

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Windshark wrote:
Revo, do you have any pics of your new system you could post? I also find that puddle highly annoying on just about all the boats. I am having a little trouble visualizing your plugs from your lengthy description. Thank you for coming up with a workaround!

Hi Windshark,

Please the this post I made on the construction of the scupper plugs.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46889

I have found the perfect size Dremel grinding attachment that is round. I hope to make new scuppers plugs soon. The ones I made work. I just want to improve on them.

I have yet to build the deflector due to time constraints. We had a washing machine flood a few months ago that did a lot of damage and now getting ready for all the repairs. I have not even been kayaking for several weeks.

The deflector can be as simple as clear packaging tape as used in Roadrunners solution for draining the seat. Run a strip of clear packaging tape atop the gunnel edge extending out over the handle recess. Add a second strip overlapping first and extending out further. Fold back under making it thicker and eliminating the sharp edge. The over hanging flap will divert the fountain of water when a wave funnels up the handle recess. That will keep the water from getting into your seat unless a large wave rolls over your side. Then the scuppers take over. Any tape should work but packing tape holds stronger and leaves no residue.

I have purchased a 12" x 12" x 1/8" neoprene rubber sheet to cut and make the deflector permanent but just have not had time to create it.

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I look for Hobie to do away with their plug in seats and go to variations of the PA suspended style seat on most if not all their kayaks one day.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a quick solution: