Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the Aussie TI owners came up with a simple solution…. Thread a stainless steel ring onto the furling line in front of the crossbar, and bring a line from it under the crossbar back to you. Some pressure on this line will help pull the line down into the cleat when required.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a new TI owner, I was struggling with the same question regarding the furling line. I read a post a short time ago that suggested tying the end of the main sheet and the furling lines together. This creates a loop that allows me to easily find and control both. In addition, I pass the line through a stainless ring that is attached to my life jacket. If I ever come off the boat, I'm attached and in control of the sail. I tried this for the first time the other day and it worked well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tie it off like this also, but the ring I mentioned above is to make it easier to cleat the furling line, a different issue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tony & dboddy.
A friend had another solution to cleating the furling sheet from the back seat, that I tried and found successful on his TI. Rob replaced the cleat with a swivelling cleat which had a slight upward angle. As he helms from his hakka with a tiller extension, this works well but makes it less easy to uncleat from the rear seat.
Safety wise, not a problem not being able to let more sail out, wanting to go faster and let more sail out, could be a frustrating.

The only issue I found with the stainless ring and cord was there was another dam rope to get caught in when vacating the cockpit in a hurry, like before going up on the beach. Maybe if I could get the cord over to the left would help.

Yes and I also tie the end of the furling line to the main sheet so it doesn't get lost. Again Rob's idea but rather than tie this to the life jacket, he has a jackline (runs from front to back) to which he attaches his harness. We used this on the St Vincent Gulf crossing and it allowed us to move about the TI, trampolene and Hakkas.

Cheers,
Brian