Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering your kayak
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone,

I am starting to think about setting a trailer up and had one thought. I have found two trailers on craigslist that are candidates. One boat trailer, one homemade job (looks good and looks like it would ride nicely) that has a wood deck. I like the idea of the weight reduction of the boat trailer. But a thought came to mind that I would like to see if anyone has experienced it. The open bottom boat trailer could allow a rock to fly off of a tire and hit the hull... What damage do you think this would cause? A hole? Chip? or???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

While it is certainly possible it is highly unlikely. If it is a concern you could spend twenty dollars on a pair of mud flaps or bolt a wood or steel deflector to the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like boat trailer. You can load up the kayak so you are ready to go except the drive and back the trailer right into the water to unload. Saves you carting stuff back and forth to the water.

As far as hull damage. The hull is plastic. Small stones should not do any real damage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fenders on many small trailers are plastic. You don't often see holes in them.

Still, any time you have rocks flying up and about, it's the guy traveling in the vehicle behind yours that you should worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The fenders on many small trailers are plastic. You don't often see holes in them.

Still, any time you have rocks flying up and about, it's the guy traveling in the vehicle behind yours that you should worry about.

Good Point..... Thank you for your insight :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen quite a bit of damage done by a tire flying apart whilst at speed. I would want something between a tire and anything of value.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I live in West Australia where there are a lot of un-sealed gravel roads, I travel many thousands of kilometers on these sorts of roads every year. Yes the back wheels do kick up a lot of stones particularly with chunky AT tyres on a 4x4.

I have had very little visible damage on my kayak. But I do carry it on the roof rack for seriously rough tracks where I do not want to take a trailer.

On my trailer I have fitted a flat alloy deck which is the material for tray back utilities. This stops a lot of the stones bouncing up.
This is a good lightweight but strong decking that I can walk on while loading without slipping on a slippery boat ramp and ending up with one leg through the trailer chassis. It also gives me a flat trailer to carry other things.

Also I have used shadecloth mesh wrapped over the bow of the boat when carried on my camper trailer. This is quite loose and absorbs the impact of rocks before they hit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Geordie...

Nice looking trailer you put together...