Hobie Adventure 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Hobie Outback 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Outback vs Adventure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

Long time guest first time posting :D .

I have already decided that i am getting a mirage kayak i just need some help choosing which one. I am 6'6" tall and currently approximately 275lbs (although i am aiming to get down to around 240 after a summer of kayak fishing). My problem is this. I will be primarily using the yak for light saltwater use in and around Sydney, Australia. However i also love to fish in freshwater dams (some of which are larger than Sydney Harbour) and small rivers/creeks but as they are not close this would represent about 20% of time fishing. I would also like to do some overnight trips eventually.

From all reports i have read the outback is a bit of a dog to paddle but is exceptionally stable and works a treat with the mirage drive. The adventure is obviously quicker but less stable or manoverable. I have seen a number of people change their mind and sell relatively new yaks as they have made the wrong decision. Also from what i can determine the more experienced guys locally tend to favour faster yaks. Having not done any yaking and only a little canoeing is the Adventure a bit over the top? Would the lack of weight capacity of the Adventure put anyone off? Also can someone please confirm that they have the same size cockpit as they felt the same to me but someone posted (somewhere??) saying the adventure was slightly larger??

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Aussie FIsher,

I voted for the Adventure simply because of more room and the Adventures ability to slice thru the waves. The shorter the yak, the rougher the ride. I've been thru some pretty good chop and the ride is smooth (in my opinion). Plus more in-hull storage for finding a little island and having a great lunch with your sweety and camping on an island also.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey AusFish,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum. With regard to your post, there are several points that should be addressed.

1. The BigA is definitely NOT less stable than the OB--in fact I consider the BigA to be more stable. The OB requires body or gear weight of over 200 lbs to put it down on its sponsons, in order for it not to feel "tippy". This not necessary for the A. But-- because of its length the A will be less maneuverable.

2. But, also because of its length, the A will be considerably faster than the OB.

3. BigA will also have a lot more storage space below decks in case you wish to do some overnight camping/traveling.

4. The BigA cockpit seemed to me to be a tad longer. But the A's cockpit will also be a bit narrower simply because the beam of the A is almost 7 inches less than the OB.

All in all, for your needs, I would say the BigA might have a slight edge, but it is close. Your weight might be the deciding factor. If you don't get your weight down, then the BigA might not work as well since it has less freeboard and will be a considerably wetter ride in chop for a larger person. Good luck with your decision--I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don’t know about the Adventure, but I have the Outback SUV and fly fish mountain lakes/dams. I’m 6’, 290 and find the Outback very stable. You can peddle for hours without any fatigue. The only time I use the paddle is when launching or coming back in (I pull the flippers) , or backing out of a small stream. When fishing alpine lakes, I don’t want speed. It is too beautiful. If you have a distance to travel from launch to where you are going to fish, you may want speed, but how much more speed is the Adventure over the Outback, ½ mph?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the posts guys. :D

Some good points. I am thinking the adventure just. Will be arrange a test peddle soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the Adventure and am in the process of slowly setting it up. Unfortunatley we don't have quite the availability nor pricing that you guys/girls get in the US so it will take a bit longer.

In terms of the test paddle i found that the peddals hit the end of the drive well on the mirage and made this annoying tapping noise. It would have driven me bonkes and i could not move the peddals one slot closer without feeling cramped. Also the outback was a real tank to paddle.

I had the first decent paddle today for about 1hr 15 minutes. I found it to be very predictable. Yes it rocks a little with swell from either side and in chop i did take a few waves over the bow and into the cockpit however i felt very safe (and at the time i had only peddaled it for about 20 minutes total and was without a life jacket).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HeyAusFish,
Good to hear from you and that you got a BigA. I ned to add that my comments back in August referred mainly to the the 2006 and earlier OBs. Starting with the 2007 model year, the OB has an entirely new hull design that makes it a bit faster and less "tippy" to smaller folks.

Don't know what to suggest about your Mirage Drive banging up against the end of the cockpit. At your height, unfortunately you may be at the upper limit for comfort in the Hobie cockpit.

What I do know to suggest is that you definitely need to get a comfortable PFD or life jacket. But you will have to be careful in your choice since any life jacket with a padded rear portion will make you even more uncomfortable in the cockpit. I would strongly suggest a good inflatable that has only the straps on the back. What I have finally come to is a Stearns inflatable that has several pockets on the front where I carry my spare lockback knife and required emergency kit such as a whistle. The large main pocket on these is also perfect for carrying my camera. I got mine from KayakFishingStuff.com (see link below), but am not sure if they can deliver Downunder. BTW, the one that I got from KFS was not nearly as drab-looking as the one in the pic, and had some color to it so it was more visible at a distance. Good luck.

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/ ... y_Code=PFD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 155 and my OB is very stable. I did add 25 pounds. My buddy has a the BigA. He gets wet and I don't. By the way, I outfish him too. This year I easily caught over 100. I can hug the rocks\etc. Additionally, I have more room for storing stuff.

I fish in the ocean not lakes. I, myself, wouldn't get the Big A or revolution. Maybe a new OB if I didn't have to put in the sand bag. But, still would wonder about it being as stable. I have been through some big waves with heavy wind.

Additionally, I fish for 6-8 hours at a clip. 2 dozen worms and then lures. I cover a lot of ground. I might not get there first but I catch more fish.

Post subject: SURF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HEY POPEYE, DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS GOING IN AND OUT OF THE SURF W/ THE OUTBACK?

DO YOU USE THE PADDLE OR PEDALS?

DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS W/ KELP GETTING CAUGHT IN THE FINS?

THANKS,

BEN :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

popeye wrote:
My buddy has a the BigA. He gets wet and I don't.
Amen Popeye! I have an Outback and thought about getting an Adventure in hopes of additional speed. After some testing, I concluded the half mile an hour extra speed isn't worth it because I kept getting wet from little waves in the BigA. The Outback is way more responsive and much more stable. I'd get another Outback before getting a BigA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey popeye and OG OUTCAST,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum! I have to agree with Rny about the OB vs. the BigA. But I have to add, now that I have a number of knots under my keel in my (wife's) Sport, that I would also take the Sport over the BigA for what I do in both the salt and fresh water.

I was out at Wakulla Beach some months back here on the FC in the Sport, and the first BigA I had seen hereabouts passed in the opposite direction. I was very surprised to see how little freeboard the BigA had while underway. The Sport is great, not only because of its light weight, but also because it has virtually the same cockpit layout, complete with those great gunwale tackle and gear trays, as does my OB. I have to add, however, that the much shorter length of the Sport means that it is not quite as dry a ride as the OB, but for most inshore waters around here, it's no big ting. And the Sport can't be beat for its maneuveability and ease of unloading, launching, and loading on my trailer. Just my $.02 worth.