Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Microboater:
I'm the same way anymore, I get very bored in flat water and no wind, especially in the hot Florida sun. That's probably why both my wife and I have included the sail kits on every Hobie kayak we have owned. We started out recreational kayaking on rental paddle kayaks (both sit inside, and SOT) and were comfortable going 2-3 miles max and staying very close to shore.
With the Hobie Mirage drives we were able to easily double our comfortable range. Then when we added the sail kits, we were able to double our range again, and were much more comfortable going a little further from shore (not too far though).
We were down in the keys last week with our Tandem Island. The people in the room next to mine had a couple Hawaiian outrigger canoes from ( http://www.kamanucomposites.com/) their single was 24 ft long and the tandem was around 25 ft long, I don't think they weighed more than 25 lbs ea. There is no way possible I could have kept up with them on my tandem island in kayak mode (which is Hobies fastest kayak). Of course just one of those Hawaiian outrigger canoes costs more than a Tandem Island complete with the sail kit and all.
So you are correct with saying a high end sea kayak/canoe with very experienced paddlers, are faster than any of Hobies kayaks (wind and waves or not). But then again we are getting out of the recreational kayaking realm at that point.
My opinion is Hobies kayaks are well placed in the marketplace. They are well designed and built and can be used for more serious adventures, and with the mirage drive, they rival some of the really expensive high end stuff, kind of the best of all worlds.
So my opinion is Hobie kayaks are the perfect selection for any kayaker who is serious and uses his/her boat regularly for many different things even if they are not a triathlon athlete they can have great adventures without polluting the environment.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Put my 1st fish in the new Oasis this morning. I got 1 speckled trout while trolling rattletraps in Lake Ponchartrain. Albeit, I pedaled about 4 miles round trip, trolling the whole time. It was also my 1st solo trip as well. I put a fish bag with 20 lbs. of ice and filled it with water for ballast. Worked out great. I'll try to post a pic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I'm new to the Hobie forum and kayaking in general. I did not see an introduction thread so I will answer your question, but also use this opportunity to introduce myself and give my opinion at the same time.

I am 30 years young with 2 children 6 and 8 and my wife of 11 years (also 30 years young). We have been active canoe enthusiasts for over two years now with our most recent relocation from San Diego to Farragut, TN. We own two 17' aluminum canoes that during spring and summer we use regularly for both long and short distance river touring and also fishing trips.

I was fine with canoeing and paddling, but my wife had began to get an urge for kayaking. So one evening I google "best fishing kayak" and the results were all pretty much the same looking kayak to me until I came across the Hobie Pro Angler.

At first glance I was very intrigued by the design and look. I spent the next hour watching YouTube videos and reading reviews. Needless to say after seeing the kayak in action I was bitten by the Hobie bug. I immediately started scouring Craigslist to find what I was looking for. After just missing out on two local sales literally the day of the sale and one out of state miss due to my reluctance at first regarding price I jumped on the very next ad that got listed.

It was an ad in Charlotte NC about 4.5 hr drive for me that included two Hobie Kayaks the V1 Outback and v1 Outback Tandem. I quickly closed the deal and made the long drive to pick them up the next evening. Without saying I was exhausted from the trip and did not make it back home until 1:30am the next morning. I laid down for rest, but was too excited to sleep for long. I woke up at 7am after a good rest and started cleaning my new finds.

After washing the outback and reinstalling the rudder and adjusting I just couldn't stand it any longer so I strapped it down and headed to the lake. One thing I noticed from the beginning and was not a fan of is how heavy the kayak was. I often load and unloaded my canoes by myself especially during the week and found the kayak to be a little more difficult to handle right off the bat. I found the included wheel cart to be a little aggravating (off brand wheel cart) so I just lifted the kayak and carried it to the river only about 20ft from parking lot to access and could not believe how much more effort it took. I was not impressed.

After loading my fishing gear in the outback I whistled for my mountain feist who tags along with me during the week and off we went. Franky (my feist) quickly took to the stern. After paddling a bit I quickly found I preferred sitting higher while paddling. After a short stroll I was still not impressed and the hype and excitement was starting to fade.

I was just beginning to go through the onslaught of buyers remorse when I decided to try out the mirage drive. This was the feature that initially caught my intrigue to begin with. I had watched enough videos about installation and operation that setting the drive in place was a snap. I was going through the checklist in my mind, set rudder down, check steering, adjust pedals, then I did it. I took off pedaling and vroooooom I was off. All the initial excitement and hype came flooding back!

I could not believe the speed I was traveling with what felt like minimal effort on my part. The steering was responsive and I was cruising fast and steady. In no time I found myself at my favorite fishing hole.

In my new to me Hobie Outback V1 it took my under 10 minutes against the wind to reach my destination. The same trip in my 17' aluminum canoe takes 25 minutes in calm conditions! This was on a slightly windy April morning. It would have taken me over 30 minutes with significantly more effort on my part to travel VIA canoe.

Needless to say I was blown away. Normally by that time traveling by canoe I was ready to set anchor and start casting to give myself and my arms a rest. On a typical weekday fishing trip I would fish this spot then work my way back to my van within my allotted time.

Not with the mirage drive! I felt so good and it was so fast and so much fun maneuvering the outback I could not bring myself to set anchor I kept on going! I travelled farther down the lake than I did all last year by canoe and back in one outing with my outback and had plenty of time to spare!

This kayak has made me a HUGE fan of Hobie brand products. Their attention to detail, workmanship, features, support, and the fact that it is made in USA it is so hard to find a reason not to buy one.

I myself am very surprised any other fishing or touring Kayak sells really. I know this is my first Kayak and I am a newbie and beginner, but I cannot see myself ever buying a kayak that is not a Hobie Brand kayak. The amount of replacement parts and the thought that went into these kayaks gives me confidence that this Hobie Outback was engineered and built to last.

For me this purchase was a rare but welcome slam dunk. For my needs of touring and fishing any kayak that is not a Hobie Mirage Driven Kayak in my eyes is obsolete.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but this is my experience with Hobie Kayaks. For the foreseeable future I will not be buying any Kayak that is not a Hobie Mirage for any price.

Call me a fan boy. I'd probably agree with you!

Last edited by C4PZL0K on Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great story C4PZL0K

Glad that you're enjoying your new (to you) Hobie Mirage kayak - Happy fishing!

How do your wife and kids like it? Hopefully they're getting to try them too - or maybe you're 'gone fishing' too long to let them try - Have a Hobie Day!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, that is a great story, by the way it sounded for the first part who knew it would end like it did.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jbernier and cnnashman :)

I work from home so I fish more so during early mornings on week days as kids are off to school and wife is at the lab running experiments. Weekends are filled with some fishing mostly touring as that is what wife and kids enjoy the most although our oldest has started to show more interest in fishing lately. I am sure once one takes up interest the other will quickly follow as they have a competitive nature.

My wife and I are the only ones to try the Outback Single so far. We both think that it is super fast and a blast to operate. We are both canoe people so this was really like upgrading from a sedan to a sports car for us. Our kids enjoy the Tandem Outback immensely. This week all they have talked about on the way home from the bus stop is if we are going kayaking this weekend.

This last weekend we were blessed by two days of solid rain so no paddling. I myself have yet to try out the Tandem believe it or not. I am so blown away by the single outback I think it has became something of an addiction now. I have went out twice this week so far with little fishing and much cruising. My wife prefers the Outback Tandem as she enjoys being chauffeured by our oldest son who is currently more than willing to oblige her. We will see how long that last, lol.

One thing I thought could be improved is a front and back steering lever on the tandem so that both passenger would have ability to assume control when needed. That is something I am going to look into in the future. I ordered one set of turbo fins for the OutBack single to try out. I am currently looking into getting the V2 sprocket and mast upgrade kits also and keeping my eyes peeled for a used 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14 or a new 2014 whichever comes first! :)

I am still very happy with my purchase of the Hobie Outback. I can say right off the bat that upgrading from a canoe to a mirage driven Kayak has doubled the size of my fishing window as I can now access more of the lake in half of the time and during the week, time is a huge factor for me. Also, I take my mountain feist along on my trips and he walks from front to back down the sides throughout the trip and I have never felt like I was going to tip out. The outback's width and center of gravity makes for a very stable sit on top fishing kayak.

My next purchases are going to be seat upgrades all around as these current seat cushions have seen a lot of hours and a few years of use already.

Hobie Mirage Kayaks are A+

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am delighted that you have taken the time to post such a detailed description of your preconceptions and experience with the Hobie system - it is more or less EXACTLY what I discovered when I bought my first Hobie (also an Outback) some years ago: instantly I was able to get much more water under the keel than I had ever been able to before with just a paddleyak. Not only that, I also found I could manage conditions that would put most paddlers off without any problem (e.g. the frequent strong summer sea breezes that we get here in Auckland).

My recommendation to you is... just wait til you discover the joys of sailing these boats :D :D :D and in that regard you might also want to try an Adventure (the fastest of the fleet AND it comes with an optional daggerboard that really transforms its sailing capabilities compared with the other non-daggerboard Hobies).

I vastly improved the cushioning of my old and very well misused seats by cutting up an old closed cell karrimat to make pads which go under them - a real boon for the butt cheeks on a long trip.

Finally and BTW the latest Oasis tandem model has the 2 steering positions that you have identified as being desirable!

Enjoy !!!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks stobbo! I did not know that about the newer Tandems. That's great news. It shows Hobie never quits improving.

I have been eyeing an adventurer for about a month now. I am very tempted, but have never sailed before. You never know though. I just might take the plunge in the future.

I just recieved my Turbo fins today in the mail and have already installed them. I'm getting that excitement again as I cannot wait for tomorrow morning to roll around now. I just might get a sailing kit for my outback too.

I am having so much fun with my Hobie. Hobies are the best!

:)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let us know what you think of the Turbos. I don't know why people say the Outback is slow or a barge, even with the standard fins it moves at a good pace, i sail the Outback and it's a blast, you always get an audience which i dislike (probably because i have no clue what i'm doing) and look terrified to most observers (which happens to be a good observation).

The other thing i am trying to do is not take the kitchen sink with me , i take chairs, tables, entertainment centers, vcr's, construction equipment , pot's, pans, assorted footwear, toiletries including a back up toothbrush and a travel size micro deodorant , a few Q tips, rubber bands and a no 2 pencil.

And thats just the front hatch stuff, i'm very easy to find when i go out, if a bird dropping hits the water within a 60 yard radius the ripple effects cause me to lose a ton of gear, i leave more stuff in the water than a torpedoed battleship.

Anyways keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cnnashman-LMAO! If you got rid of the no.2 pencil and rubber bands you should be okay.

But I know what you mean about taking everything but the kitchen sink. I even cram a couple of pool noodles in the hull of my Outback in case I want to float around for a bit. I'm looking forward to getting the sail. It sounds like it'd be a lot of fun. I have the turbo fins on mine and have never used the standard fins. The turbos are great and I wouldn't want to use anything less. I regularly (every week or two) do an eleven mile trip up the Colorado River from Willow Beach to Hoover Dam for exercise. There are several rapids and a ton of cross currents and although it's challenging, it's very doable (and I'm an old man). Usually takes me 5-6 hours w/breaks. The Outback w/turbos are fantastic. I used to make the same trip in my Oasis w/turbos.

Anyway, I had to put in my 2 cents.

2013 Caribbean Blue Outback

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cnnashman wrote:
(probably because i have no clue what i'm doing) and look terrified to most observers (which happens to be a good observation)

That is hilarious! Laugh out loud.

I am the opposite. I am a minimalist. I take the smallest Plano tackle box I could find full of hooks, a couple sinkers, and a few swivels. I only fish with worms and crickets and bring very few. Often time I run out and end up flipping rocks over on the bank to catch a few bugs. I bring one bobber with me because it is very hard to lose a bobber really. If I do lose one I usually come back with more than I left with anyways. I am always finding bobbers and lures in trees. This last time however I did bring toilet paper for the first time. I normally never do this but for some reason a little voice that day was saying "you better pack the tp this time".

I did recently buy a Bruce Anchor that is working out great and fits in the rod holder tube very well when not in use. I am brainstorming some way to eliminate the extra rope in the boat though. I will probably do as others and go with a retractable dog leash, but I really would rather have a spring loaded spool with real rope. For some reason a dog leash under performs when running simulations in my imagination. I don't know if I could bring myself to use it right away without trying something else first.

I would not describe the outback as slow at all. Maybe people downgrading from a bass boat would say that, but surely not from a paddler. This outback is already turbo fast stock. I just wanted to see for myself what all the talk was about with these new fins.

I will let you know what I think after I do a couple laps around the lake with them.

VegasEric, that is an impressive trip. Have you any GoPro footage by chance? That would be neat to see. I would have to roll out of the kayak onto the shore after a trip like that.

What seat do you use?

Very impressive.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

C4PZLOK-I have my eye on the GoPro 3 Black Edition. When I get it I'll go ahead and do a video of Black Canyon.

I use the stock seat but I have two foam pads I sit on. My butt never hurts, but my lower back starts to act up after about an hour or so. I get out and stretch for a few minutes then I'm good to go again. But it's amazing how fast your legs muscles build up. I can pedal all day and sleep like a baby at night :lol:

2013 Caribbean Blue Outback

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WOW

The Hobie ST Turbo fins are in fact an UPgrade!

I went even faster with half the effort. I could really feel and see the difference in water displacement over the standard fins right off the bat. One kick of the Turbo fins is what I would compare to as two kicks with the regular fins at least if not three and you can really feel the beefier power stroke in a good way.

I much prefer the extra resistance (not much more really) to the extra work my knees would be doing to achieve the same speeds. It's made it to where I was doing all I could to keep up with the tandem outback to now I'm pulling ahead of it easily. Actually in fact I ended up towing the tandem with both my kids in it back to the river inlet as it was pretty windy on the lake today. I got my first kayak spray! :)

My review is ST Turbos are twice as fast with a substantial boost to power as well. In that instance they honestly live up to the name Turbo. I will be buying two more sets for the tandem also. I am really really eyeing the sails now too for at least the single outback for now.

I really can't get enough of these kayaks. They are the best!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great review of the Turbos, i wish they were shorter and wider instead of just longer because i have had trouble with shallow water.

Maybe make the front fin stick out further toward the front and back fin stick out further toward the rear to avoid any problems with hitting each other but that will never happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know what you are saying. Today after going out for a couple hours in murky waters after the hard rains I had some trouble hitting submerged limbs. They do get down there deep, but Hobie offers a wide and full list of replacement parts which I really think is great so I'm not too worried about it. That and I have two backup mirage drives if I really really need them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next