Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just purchased an 09 Outback and Revo 13. Both are in really good condition but in storage for past couple years and need cleanup. Can't find any info regarding hull maintenance. I expect washing with mild soap is proper, but what about application of RV type wax or some other UV protectant? I anticipate having a lot of questions for you Hobie "pros" so more to follow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hose mine every several outings ( on the sea), clean oily marks off it with whatever is to hand and give it a waterblasting maybe once a year if that to get deeply engrained dirt outa the little pores in the plastic. It is stored inside though so I don't bother much over UV. They are pretty robust and well made & i reckon can stand a lot of neglect and still come up smelling of roses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take them to the car wash and give them a good blast of water. To remove marks, try Magic Eraser. Remember, it is nothing but a piece of plastic :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your local Hobie dealer sells a really good cleaner and UV protectant.
I use Aerospace Protectant 303 on my Outback and it's an excellent product....I buy it at my local Ace hardware store.....around $14 for a 16 0z spray bottle
The color really comes back to life after it's applied......be careful as the hull becomes quite slick/slippery :shock: .....you must wipe it off with a good cloth after a few minutes of application.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brush the big chunks of fish guts overboard before hauling out. Take the drive and wash good with fresh water. Spray drive with heavy coat of break free. Sponge inside of hull mostly dry. Done

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Starting out, I treated my Hobie kayak like a boat; soap, water, scrub.

But, like others have said, it's just a big plastic boat.

My two new themes for cleaning are; protect it from UV damage and keep it from smelling bad.

I have to remind myself that it is not a boat with all the associated components so stop spending an hour per outing scrubbing and cleaning.

Bottom line: hose off every outing, aerospace 303 every 1 or 2 months and soap and water every 3-5 outings. That said; I am always in salt water so I may be more diligent with the hose/soap and water stages.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I rinse at the very least and before i go out for a long day i just do the top areas with 303 for UV protection.

UV degradation is the #1 enemy of poly yaks and i would rather have the suns rays soak up the UV protectant than the top deck taking it all. Supposedly that's how 303 and McNett work.

By doing this my yaks look new with no fading and cracking which is the biggest concern .

Take a plastic utensil and see what the sun does to it after a while, it cracks and crumbles, wipe another utensil with 303 and it remains in good shape over long days of exposure.

My yak is worth it and if selling the amount of time a yaks been exposed to the elements does determine it's price. At least that's what all the experts claim when looking to purchase a used yak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wash my down with water and dish detergent. Tough marks/stains on the shiny parts get 409 or if really bad, WD40. Non-skid parts get the Mr Clean Eraser. Then 303 or Hobie's UV protectant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I store my kayak inside so I am not too worried about UV. Living in Oregon the sun is only strong for maybe 4 months of the year. In that time I am out on the water for maybe 10 trips. The other 8 months I am out fishing there is not much UV strength in the sun up here. Thus, I just hose off my kayak and let the light layer of dirt and filth act as my UV protectant.

As a data point I have left some plastic items out in the sun and it usually takes 3+ years of daily exposure before it breaks down. If I lived further south I would definitely use a protectant, but up here it is not too big of a deal.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928