Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I assume that the Hobie TI can be store right side up (with AKA's and AMA's attached) if it is supported by cradles that are 67" apart since that is the trailer design.

When storing upside down where should the crossbars (from the bottom) or strap/sash (from above) be placed? (at the same 67" spread close to the AKA crossbar mounts?).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't believe that there is an exact guide. The gunwales are the strongest part of the boat, so resting the boat anywhere along the edges is fine. 67" would be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2010 TI has, I think, lived on its cradles nearly all its life (it's been mine since summer 2012). There is noticeable hull deformation from resting this way.
The former owner (in not-terribly-hot San Diego) stored it outside with a tarp cover. Probably pretty hot inside the cover in the summer. I store it uncovered in my garage, in hot-summer Riverside.
If you really want to prevent hull deformation, storing on the cradles is not good enough. But it is SO much handier that I will probably continue to accept some deformation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the cradles are great for storage -- just make sure that the bow and stern are also supported. If it is on a trailer, it is usually possible to add bow support to the structure of the trailer. A winch will probably accomplish this automatically.

The stern is usually harder because trailers are typically shorter than the boat. I find that a stool works well. There is also an adjustable stand made for table saws that holds a long board up when you don't have a friend. Home Depot etc will have them. I just put mine under the stern, flip a lever, and raise the roller up till it contacts the bottom of the hull. Then sag is not possible.

To correct hull deformation that has already happened, my best experience is to put the hull upside down in bright sunlight on a hot day. Took about 30 minutes or an hour (don't recall) for my 16.5 foot kayak to pop back to its proper shape. It had been severely deformed on a roof rack the same day. Long term deformation may be different.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI - I had my TI on trailer w cradles and and extra 4" bunk near the Mirage drive inside my garage for 6 months last year. I flipped the hull over for winter and I noticed there were deformations in the hull, so I added support under Ama crossbars and bow n stern. The hull looks great this spring!
I will be modifying my trailer to add more support to the hull this year, so i can trailer the TI longer distances w/o damaging hull. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

augaug wrote:
I don't believe that there is an exact guide. The gunwales are the strongest part of the boat, so resting the boat anywhere along the edges is fine. 67" would be fine.

This is how I am storing my TI (Brand new to the scene, bought it on monday) and am wondering if the two supports at approximately that distance are enough. I want to be sure, considering the investment I just made.

I have just the kayak resting this way, could I also rest the ama/akas this way?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When storing my AI upside down, I put the sawhorses just behind the front Aka crossbars and just on the rear hatch. More stable that way. The sail and Amas fit nicely underneath the hull on the sawhorse legs, a chain secures all the hulls.

At waist height, it's easy to flip the hull over to store it or perform maintenance. The sawhorse beams are padded with surf pads or pool noodles. White tarp keeps everything clean and cool.

The drives and akas are always rinsed and hung.

Quick, easy, cheap.