Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With this prolonged winter the need to get out on the water has never been greater. With talk of trout runs, my buddy Neil suggested we try and make it out while the water is still cold and the fact the winds were blowing from the North this weekend.

We decide to hit up the Nuke plant in Pickering Onatrio. We met at Rotary Park just east of the plant at 1:30pm. The launch parking lot was closed, so we had to walk it in from the main parking area. At the launch we could see the water is really down. The cement ramp was fully exposed with about 12 ft of mud. Neil's Outback made it gracefully to the water, but mine tipped over trying to navigate some rocks and the tackle boxes ended up in the mud. I then proceed to loose my Crocs in the mud a couple times trying to get into my yak. This wasn't the christening I was hoping for.

As we worked our way our to Lake Ontario we saw a couple of guys on shore cleaning what appeared to be a brown trout. They said they were hitting at about 8am.

We started to make our way over to Nuke plant.

About 2/3 of the way there I got a couple of tiny hits. Then, my reel start screaming... and so did I! Neil was quite a bit ahead of me, but he heard me and started to make his way back. It must have take about 8-10 minutes to land this thing, what a fight!!! A beautiful 7lb brown. Thanks Neil for the netting job!

We made our way to east side outflow and started working up towards the plant. I hook up again! Reel screaming, but this one is to be short lived and got off. About 15minutes later, again....BANG! and we're off again. It was another brown measuring 21". Unfortunately it jumped back into the water off of my measuring board (note to self to put tie down straps on the board).

I circled around a couple more times and I hook up again. This one had some steak on it!!! Neil saw it jump near him and he said it was huge! It was a good long fight, but as luck would have it.....again....it got off right at the front of my Outback...#$%^@@#%$!!!!!!!!!

That was it for my excitement.

Then it was Neil's turn. Hey hooked into a couple of out of season critters which were thrown back. He finally managed a brown as well!

What a fishery!

What a great start to the season! Can't wait to get out there again! Thanks Neil for the fun day!

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NICE!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome accounting and what amazing pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nice catch!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

beautiful photos

Thanks for sharing!

A hug.