Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Want to buy a Pro Angler this spring. Would like to hear from owners on advantages/disadvantages of both length boats.

I will be hauling on a trailer. Fishing coastal/inland waters.

Would really like to try out both, but can't find a dealer who rents them. Any help here would be nice.

I would appreciate any first hand experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Capt Gary wrote:
Would really like to try out both, but can't find a dealer who rents them.
Most quality dealers have a fleet of demo boats for you to try without having to rent them. Most of the time getting advice from others is helpful, but some people will swear by one over the other, and your preferences might be different. Certainly there is some great advice on these boards, but try to find a dealer who will let you out on a demo boat before you make a final decision.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the 14. You will be suprised how fast you start accumulating equipment. The 12 wasn't out when I bought my 14. If I had a choice. I would still buy the 14.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are you located and do you have a Hobie dealer close?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In Virginia. One Hobie dealer relatively close, but they do not rent and I need more than just a short ride to make my decision.
Also, they only have one day each summer that you can test ride. That's in June when the water warms. I want to fish this spring without having to launch my bigger boat each time.

Thanks to anyone with help/advise.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Since you are going to trailer, what possible advantage can you see in a smaller Yak? I have the PA14 and can take my lovely wife along easily.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would go with the 14. I think it would be better suited for the coastal waters and still meet your inland fishing needs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hot foot it to NW Arkansas and we can take them fishing. :-) We have both the 14 & 12 at the shop. The 14 is alot more stable as far as standing and moving around. The 12 is a little lighter. With the trailer I would personally prefer a 14.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're a fisherman, Capt Gary, so ask yourself this: Have you ever bought a tackle box that was too big? The only "if only" you'd ever have with a PA12 is to wish it was a bit bigger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I take them all very seriously and I pretty much decided that the 14 is the one.

That is where my first opinion was but without personal experience the questions kept creeping in.

Shopping for a good used boat trailer to convert and I'll be ready to go pick one up.

It's still pretty cool here in VA so I have few weeks to get it all together.

There are some nice "trailer" post on this page but if anyone has any other advice or good pics on setups that would be appreciated also.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We carry ours on the top of the pickup cap and roof of the truck. It works fine because we cannot trailer. We travel full time and pull a very big travel trailer behind us. Winch, ramp, some ingenuity making a strap setup, and up and down it goes. Takes some time with just one person. It does lend itself to launching where there are no ramps, or where the is no parking for the truck and trailer.

If you have ramps and parking available, then trailering is the way to go. I suppose for the no ramp areas if there is parking you could take the Yak off on dry land and drag it over to the edge of the water either on its own belly or with a cart. I found the Hobie cart that goes into the scuppers to be a PITA as you usually have to tip the boat on it's side to insert the cart. Tipping on the side is not a good thing when you are loaded up to go fishing. Or have been out and there are loose things in the boat everywhere. So I made a little cart that I can slide the Yak onto. It works very well and I can tow the boat with my electric bike from our camping spot to the edge of the water or a launch ramp. So far the farthest I have towed with the electric bike is two miles each way to the ramp in Flamingo from the campground.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The difference in weight between the 12 and 14 is very little. As posted above, the 14 will be easier to stand in.

Buy a used jet ski trailer, and convert it for use as a yak trailer. Either a single, or if you need it, a double trailer. They are fairly easy to find used. Search for Tom Kirkman's thread on modifying it for use as a yak trailer. MUCH easier to load and unload than in a pickup or on top of a car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:34 pm 
Hobie Team Member

It's a nice problem you have. I have both a PA 14 and a PA 12. I find the biggest difference between them when their out of the water. Since you are going to use a trailer, I would go with the PA 14. The above comment about modifying a jetski trailer is good advice.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You are going to trailer and the difference in price is a couple hundred bucks, so for me it is a no brainer, the 14 certainly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have much gear or like to stand up to fish it is a no-brainer....go with the 14! It certainly is nice having the additional width, stability, and room of the 14. I stand up to fish about 85% of the time. If you flyfish at all it is a lot nicer to stand to spot fish and cast!

My 14 is stable enough that I've carted a 2nd fisherman along in the back. Also fished off the back of the 14 while standing up. Not sure if I could do this with a 12?

Obviously a lot depends upon your style of fishing and how much gear you have mounted and carry in your PA. It really isn't that hard to load a 14. The only disadvantages I can think of is a 14 takes up a little more storage space and costs a little more.