Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After a reckless sailing in very stormy weather, the result is four broken Akas. We made new Akas from Supra material.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Amazing destruction. That would take some effort.

Your new akas look interesting, even if most of us could probably not build them. For informing of myself and maybe a few others, what is "Supra" material?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some kind stainless alloy, I will ask man from the factory for details.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did the Amas actually break while sailing - or were they damaged while in some other mode, transportation, etc.?

For the Amas to undergo that kind of damage without any similar or worse damage to the hull is rather odd.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kayak was with Trampolines, and a wave spilled on the right side, which led to detachment of the right front Aka, followed by rupture of the right rear Aka.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can see you're a man that doesn't mess around, Johnny. :lol: You may just be my new hero.

Great stainless recovery job! If it was the Aka connection that failed, then leashing the Akas should be the next order of business. And double bungees.

Where are you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting modification, however I'd be concerned that you're moving the point of failure to the next weakest link - probably the aka crossbar hull-clamps...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We have 12 hours time difference and when you are awake, I sleep. :)
We think about the next weak spot, but wait to see if it will break.

Soon I will put detailed pictures of the motor mount, which is very stable.

I am from Bulgaria and hope to be a fine weather in next week to do an organized event in neighboring Greece, on Thassos Island.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YES!!! That motor mount cought my attention big time. Can't wailt for the details. .

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

johnnybravo :
I love your motor mount. I have an Island Hopper 2 hp 4 stroke gas emergency motor on my TI. It does not have sufficient power and I can only get up to around 5mph, though I have had no problems in the three yrs I've had it on the boat, I kick my self now for not spending a little more on the Honda which I would think would be more reliable and trustworthy in a bad situation.
What kind of speed do you get out of the motor at max speed, and how is the fuel economy at cruising speed (I get around 50 miles on 1.3 gallons of gas).
One more question, does the motor tilt up high enough to get out of the water. I know where I have mine mounted way back in the rod holders, I don't think I could tilt enough to get the Honda motor out of the water. Also what is your shaft length (short or long), and is your prop deep enough that it doesn't suck air (like mine does when the boat is tilted (sailing)).
My motor is only 20 lbs, but I'm pretty sure 29 lbs would be just as handy. However not sure I would want to go to a heavier Merc which I think is closer to 40 lbs.
Bob

Last edited by fusioneng on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Johnnybravo:
I'm not sure if it will work, but if your prop is just a standard pin prop with a 12mm shaft you might be able to use a higher pitch prop. The standard prop for your boat I think is 7 1/4 dia 4.5" pitch which is great for pushing a 2000lb boat, but a 300 lb TI you can likely go to a higher pitch ( I have a 7" pitch on mine, but it came with a 4.5" pitch)
The one at this link is from Solas and it's a 6 inch pitch ( http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Tohats ... (All_Years)_6.00-Pitch_Low_Horsepower_0001-073-06-P_Propeller/693/18877/?cm_mmc=Google_Main-_-Props+Product+Listings%3AGoogle-_-Tohatsu+Outboard+Motors%3AProps+Product+Listings%3AGoogle-_-Solas+Low+Horsepower+Propellers&gclid=CPiK3e67p7YCFRMZnQodrj0ALg)

There are only one or two plastic prop manufacturers out there so nearly everyone uses the same props ( Mercury, Tohatsu, Nissan, etc). I have an extra one in my garage if you want me to measure it up I can to find out the shaft dia, distance to from the back of the prop to the sheer pin, sheer pin dia, etc.
I only found 1 plastic prop for Honda 2.3 with a pic on ebay ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Plastic ... 3ccbdd9393 ) and it doesn't necessarily look like yours in your pics. The prop in your pics looks to be a hub type, is it custom.
Here is a pic from the Honda marine website of the prop that comes with the 2.3 which looks like a standard pin prop.
If it would work you would definitely get a lot more speed, at the worst your out $14 bucks.
I know on my 2 hp motor going from a 4.5 inch pitch to a 7 inch pitch speeded me up 2 mph, however my 2hp putt putt motor now cannot get to the right RPM (not enough horsepower, I should have got the 6 inch pitch).
I'm just interested because I really want one of those Honda motors really bad, I will duplicate your motor mount, I love your design.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey JohnnyB. How'd you sleep while we played? ;-)

Clever setup. I was wondering if you can still pedal with the motor mount in place?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If his legs are short enough :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This kayak now has a new owner. The rear seat is for his wife and I think there is no problem with the pedals, because she just sits passively :)
If the weather is fine on Thursday, we will be together on Thassos island and I will shoot а video.