Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI mast and sail on AI
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tried it today and it works!
Winds were very light 3-6knots but the AI was moving along under sail very nicely.
All I have done to make this fit is build up the tapered part of the furler drum with a bit of insulation tape so it's a tighter fit in the mast retainer plate. You can see where the mast retainer bearings have left an impression. The locking lever works as is.
The furling works well despite the line wrapping below the drum. A guide on the aka may help here but there were no tangles as is. I furled/unfurled many times.

The sheet angle isn't ideal and will need locating aft a bit more. Close hauled is a problem as the sail can't be pulled tight enough unless it's furled a bit but on all other points it worked well in the light conditions. I was able to get both telltales flowing horizontally.

It's very early days and much more testing needs to be done but I am encouraged enough by todays sailing to move on with this.
Much more to come.....

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy! -- Oi :!: Oi :!: Oi :!:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very interesting.
I think this could improve the AI performance in light winds for sure.
Look forward to further reports.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How did I miss this post. Very impressive mod Stringy and feel honoured to have now seen it in the fresh. In fact, we went out from Patonga the other week, and even after Stringy kept saying to me do you notice anything different, I didn't pick it. It didn't stand out as being that much different.
( 1 min 13 sec mark of this video. https://vimeo.com/55756693 )

However I did notice that yellow, blue, white and red together make me feel a little nauseous. :wink:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This post/thread clearly belongs over on the "Redesigning the AI for speed, drier ride, & less bow diving" thread.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=46987

Keith
PS Currently that thread has been taken over by the "The Tandem is perfect" crowd--who like to talk about how the tandem might be improved. So much for perfect--"perfect" is not what it used to be.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, you talk as if AIs and TIs were totally different beasts. Surely many of the suggested mods would work on either

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course, Tony. I've even argued that. But, I'm not talking mods. I'm talking upgrade. It is the AI that needs upgrading in a big way. Even our CaptnChaos says he wants to buy a TI. What is it all coming too?? I'm waiting for the big upgrade (besides, I can't lift a TI.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, I'm all in favour of working to improve the AI, but I think it's going a bit far to say it needs upgrading in a big way. The TI is already there for those who want a boat that can carry more than one crew. God knows, if I had a wife who was even vaguely interested in coming sailing, I would consider getting a TI myself. But the TI is just as wet in the front seat and while it has a slightly higher top speed, in the only formal race that I am aware of involving both AI's and TI's, over 300 miles, the AI has totally outclassed the TI. Can you tell me what other boat you would consider taking on your Everglades expeditions? I would love a bit more sail area on the AI and I eagerly await more info from Stringy on his experience with the bigger sail (if he ever gets around to sailing single-handed again).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChrisJ--whoever heard of a successful vehicle, tech toy, kayak, whatever that is not upgraded after 7 yrs. It is time! Nothing is "perfect" forever--it gets tarnished. The TI was an upgrade but for a different market. If Hobie wants, call it something different (I don't think they will,) it is their choice.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Of course, Tony. I've even argued that. But, I'm not talking mods. I'm talking upgrade. It is the AI that needs upgrading in a big way. Even our CaptnChaos says he wants to buy a TI. What is it all coming too?? I'm waiting for the big upgrade (besides, I can't lift a TI.)
Keith

Well Keith, it just so happens that Mrs. Chaos wants to go on some of your Everglades camping trips and the only way I can figure to do that is with a TI. She's won't sail an AI by herself. So you have nobody to blame but yourself ! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me be the first to applaud your decision to get a Tandem!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'LL 2ND THAT! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
ChrisJ--whoever heard of a successful vehicle, tech toy, kayak, whatever that is not upgraded after 7 yrs.

You mean apart from the Hobie 16 and the Laser (boat). Both released in 1969.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess we have the Hobie 17, 18, 20 etc. Some things are around a long time and are properly called a "classic." Every successful product gets upgraded, even if it goes by another name.

It is time for the AI upgrade. If it makes some people happy, change the name. It will come.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it might be folly to rely on their performance in ECs as the guide to improving either Island, as these things earn their place in our hearts because of their versatility. Let's face it there ain't a big market for EC-spec boats of any configuration. (and I also suspect that the vast majority of credit to EC performance rests with the sailor rather than the vessel)

But I do think there are improvements which either Island could benefit from without starting from a blank sheet.