Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After many months of anticipation, I finally get to open my b-day present; a Hobie sail kit.
I have all the safety equipment, blocks, sheets, Sidekicks, PVC and fasteners that this great community has recommended. So.....now what? Get on the water and wait for wind?

Once again, I ask this great group of Hobie/kayak enthusiasts for some guidance; Can you all give some input on some of the basics of catching some wind, steering into the wind, changing directions in a narrow or shallow channel, and every other un/or anticipated event that may happen.
I also am interested in placement of fishing rods when under sail (I am in a Revolution 13)

I welcome any and all advice.

BTW: There are so many contributors out there that have helped thus far that I would not want to mention one and exclude the other so I will, again, just say thanks to all.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wndrfl wrote:
Get on the water and wait for wind?

Yeah! Try that. :)

Seriously, you can read all kinds of books on sailing, or do web searches, or watch YouTube videos, but once you have a general idea of how things work, the easiest way to learn on a boat like yours (or any recreational Hobie, really) is to get out in an open body of water without a lot of traffic, and see what the wind does. Don't pick a crazy windy day, but just go out, and have fun. Spending a few hours in light breezes can teach you a LOT that you'll put to memory if you experience it.

I have a Sailing For Dummies book, which is pretty good, but really, on boats like these, it's all about experience. Nobody cares if you know the proper terms for everything, you're not competing for social status at the yacht club, so just go out, see how things go, and if you're consistently having trouble with one thing or another, there will be lots of people on this forum to help you out. You'll probably find that a little bit of trial and error will teach you most of what you need to know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would second the book, Sailing for Dummies. Once you understand the various points of sail, along with what you can and can't do, you're on your way. Then it is indeed just a matter of getting on the water and using the wind. You'll learn pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trail and error if the water is at least in the 70's. You will get wet trying to sail... so get use to it. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two tips i would recommend apart from, as other have suggested, doing some reading about the basics and trial and error are:

1. Do not go out in anything other than a very light breeze until you get the hang of it. You need some wind (i.e. flat calm is no good) but if it is anything other than just rippling the water surface it is too strong IMHO.

2. You need to develop a "wind sense" i.e. a good understanding of where the wind is coming from at all times, especially as your boat changes direction and speed and as the wind changes direction too (as it tends to do). This is almost the trickiest thing to get right when you first start and it is difficult to give much theoretical advice which will help... However the best way is to turn your face into the wind and when you can hear the wind in both ears equally, then you are looking more or less directly at the direction the wind is coming from.

Good luck and enjoy - sailing is one of the greatest pleasures I get from my Hobie kayak and I hope you will enjoy it at least half as much as me!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wndrfl :
One very important point. When we got our first sail kit it came with a piece of paper explaining all the sail points and generally how to sail. I felt it would be important so I put it in the mesh pouch in the boat just in case I needed it when I went out sailing. By the time I needed it the paper was a soggy mess that you couldn't unfold or read anymore. So 7 yrs and 8 hobies later I still have no clue how your supposed to sail because I lost that paper on how to do it. True story about the instructions, obviously I got wet a couple times learning, but finally figured it out.
Just be darn sure you can get back into the boat if you do go over (you will go over at least once or twice, the important thing is not to panic). Actually your sidekicks will make everything way easier, and just because you have a sail doesn't mean you don't still use the pedals, they help you tremendously when tacking, and also to keep the forward motion so the rudder continues to operate.
One other thing make sure you have a knot tied on the very end of your sail control line, this is called the bitter end and prevents the sail from sinking to the bottom if you ever tip over and the sail falls out, we actually lost a sail on my wives Revo 13 that way.
Have fun
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the useful tips. I missed out on two nice windows of opportunity to practice this weekend (temp in 70s & 80s and wind from 6-10 knots). However, it gave me a chance to recheck all my rigging as well as download and read the Kindle version of the Sailing For Dummies. I don't recommend the Kindle version as many of the images were cut off. However, I think it was a good read for my purposes and I plan on reading it again in the near future.

Given the dynamics of coastal weather, I think what I am planning on doing is to bring both my fishing rods and sail to my destination (usually Mosquito Lagoon, FL), and then, depending on the prevailing conditions, leave the rods in the truck and practice sailing or leave the sail in the truck and pretend to fish.

To help reduce the chance of turtling, I will be starting out with my Sidekicks (I call them water wings), but I am also aware that all gear can fail. Actually, the more time I spend in a kayak the more I realize how vulnerable one is to nature (I learned even faster when I flipped in 58 degree water). Therefore, I am constantly beefing up my safety gear and learning different techniques for those worst-case scenarios.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to sailing- you'll love it! My rec would be to practice sailing (in light winds), testing what you learned in the Dummies book. Get to know your boat and sail handling in increasing winds. I'd also practice Man Overboard procedure so you'll know what to do before you actually need it. I'd also get the sailing skills down before adding fishing activities. Ultimately, you'll be calling on two skill sets simultaneously, fishing and sailing. Congrats on the new boat- enjoy and welcome to the club! Lots of sailing fishermen (& gals) here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would stress that if you don't have sidekicks (maybe even if you do) make sure that anything you wouldn't want to lose should be tethered to the boat, particularly the expensive mirage drive, which would go to the bottom like a rock if you overturned. Bye bye $300.
Bartman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I advise everyone that ever casts off lines to purchase and read this cover to cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting- ... 0688148921

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not counting a brief attempt Satuday, in high winds, today was the maiden voyage under sail. What a blast! Temp was on low 70s and winds were from the east at 6-10 knots.
My trip was a south and north voyage so nothing really complicated.
The big challenge was reading the wind and remembering how I am supposed to have the sail trimmed. Lots of trial and error but lots of fun on the 8 mile journey.
I did sneak in a bit of fishing with the sail furled 3/4 way I was going about 1 knot and trolled a frozen shrimp. Hooked up on a small sea trout which made it lots of fun.

I can see the big learning curve on speed, approach, and sail trim. I only managed to max out at 3.4 knots but I just couldn't get all things right at one time.

I know others, like Tom Kirkman, liked having the sidekicks just aft of the sails mast. I would be interested to hear why this placement was preferred.

Thanks again to everyone on this website for sharing your knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have really enjoyed this thread! I'm picking up my sail tomorrow and can't wait to try it out. I see that you are near me (I live in Vero Beach) - let me know if you hear of any groups, etc.

I did find a 12mi paddleboard and kayak race around Key West in May. I asked about divisions for pedal/sail kayaks. They are looking into it, but everyone is welcome to join the cruise even if you don't fit the divisions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

@kayak2work, I have been checking out the Merritt Island launches and they seem to be a heck of a starting point. Let me know if you want try and have a sailing race there