Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Lowrance Elite 5 w/standard sonar and GPS. My first instinct is to buy the full size hobie fish finder installation kit. The only hesitation is that it is $106!! I have seen plenty of posts about other battery set ups. Please post pictures of your battery set ups, and why you went with the hobie or other aftermarket set up.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

install the battery in the back hatch tray, get a 12v from radio shack its about the size of a brick!! run wires thru hull put a fuse and quick connect at the battery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Admin

The FFII kit includes the 9ah Gell battery that has been made waterproof by potting the wire connections at the terminals, water proof wire connectors, charger, battery mount and transducer mount foam pads, Wire thru-hull fitting, additional water proof wire nuts, zip ties and marine Goop.

You can find cheaper batteries for sure, but not with all these features.

The new catalog includes a few really nice new options. Dealers will see that later today. Consumers by next week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The FFII kit includes the 9ah Gell battery that has been made waterproof by potting the wire connections at the terminals, water proof wire connectors, charger, battery mount and transducer mount foam pads, Wire thru-hull fitting, additional water proof wire nuts, zip ties and marine Goop.

You can find cheaper batteries for sure, but not with all these features.

The new catalog includes a few really nice new options. Dealers will see that later today. Consumers by next week.

So are you saying it is worth waiting for these new features? Can we order direct from Hobie or do I have to go through my local kayak company?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Admin

All sales are through your dealer.

We have a new battery mount you will like.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
All sales are through your dealer.

We have a new battery mount you will like.

Sounds great! I guess I will hold off until I get a look. Will there be an announcement about the new product? I am curious to know if it will be a whole new kit, pictures of the included parts and price. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Summer catalog will be posted on our site by next week.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a fire alarm system battery pretty cheaply on evilBay, installed it into a plastic snap-top box with foam padding, and just drop it into the hull when I need it. It lasts for days of use without needing a charge, and then only takes a few hours on a BatteryMinder charger to bring it back up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I believe that Ram makes a mount for the Elite 5 - that would be a good way to secure the head-unit to the kayak because it eliminates having to use the factory base and any type of adapter-base mount (less nuts and bolts/cleaner install).

Then it is just a matter of routing the wires and making sure everything is water-tight...

Did you end up getting the Pro Angler? It should have a spot in the hull for a transducer...you'd just have to find a place to put the battery - you can use a dry-bag or a Pelican case for that. There's really no wrong way to do it :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Elgeebee wrote:
I believe that Ram makes a mount for the Elite 5 - that would be a good way to secure the head-unit to the kayak because it eliminates having to use the factory base and any type of adapter-base mount (less nuts and bolts/cleaner install).

Then it is just a matter of routing the wires and making sure everything is water-tight...

Did you end up getting the Pro Angler? It should have a spot in the hull for a transducer...you'd just have to find a place to put the battery - you can use a dry-bag or a Pelican case for that. There's really no wrong way to do it :D

I will end up getting the Ram mount for the head unit if I do not make something myself... I ended up getting an Outback. The battery placement and type of battery is the only thing I havent decided on yet. I am going to wait for the 2013 Hobie catalog to come out before I make any moves. I want to install the transducer in a scupper so that I get accurate temp readings. See thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=46657

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice...congrats on the Outback! :D Post some rigging pics when you get it dressed-up...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Summer catalog will be posted on our site by next week.

Do you know what day this week the catalog will be released? I am getting very excited to see the new stuff so that I can buy myself a birthday gift.

Thanks

Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine is in a waterproof box (walmart) with a wirenut to keep all water out of the box. It's zip tied to the sailing mast.

My transducer is behind the mast.

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Elgeebee wrote:
Nice...congrats on the Outback! :D Post some rigging pics when you get it dressed-up...

Scupper mounted transducer. I modified another users idea...

Let me know what yall think. I havent purchased a battery yet but I hope to get one soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Will Hobie ever offer an install kit for a larger battery such as an 18aH or 26aH battery? Or even running 2- 8/9aH units in parallel? I believe many of us are out fishing for half a day at a time and when you get to some larger fish units that have a typical amperage draw of 1.1 amps per hour would drain a smaller battery in a hurry. Repeated use of the battery draining below half of it's charge capacity significantly diminishes the life expectancy of the batter. I think it would be great if hobie made a mold/brace to hold a larger battery in the middle hatch beneath the seat. Adding a fuse panel would also be wonderful considering many of us rig up a fish finder, lights, bilge pumps or other electronics. Another suggestions would also to offer a variety of weatherpack connector kits to assist with installing accessories in a weather resistant manner.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association