Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just spoke with one of the two local Hobie dealers in my area to see if they had models in stock for the PA 14 and first he worked diligently to convince me I'd prefer the 12 (the only one he had actually in stock) and then he was adamant that the PVC pipe idea for storing the boat in the garage was a bad idea and that I NEEDED the ($500) cradles that Hobie sells.

Now of course, what I say I want is what he will have to provide when it comes down to it, but should I heed the advice, ignore it and do what is commonly done on here, or should I be turning around and running to the other dealer (haven't spoke with them yet, they're about a half hour further away)?

Well, to his credit, he did just call me back to say he actually did have one 14 left. He missed it in the inventory list when he first looked, and it's olive (I told him I liked the olive and the dune but the only color I would not consider is the floating banana).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A good relationship with the dealer is important. If you aren't happy with them, let them know and move on to the other dealer. That's what I'd do, personally. I'm not going to give a nickel to any business I don't have a good feeling with.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Plastic hulls should be supported lengthwise for the least mount of pressure on the hulls, particularly if you plan to store your boat on the supports when not in use.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

uno mas wrote:
A good relationship with the dealer is important. If you aren't happy with them, let them know and move on to the other dealer. That's what I'd do, personally. I'm not going to give a nickel to any business I don't have a good feeling with.

Cheers
Drew

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FreshWaterLover wrote:
He missed it in the inventory list when he first looked, and it's olive (I told him I liked the olive and the dune but the only color I would not consider is the floating banana).

The banana is the safest on the water if you are around a lot of power boats... good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. I'll give him one more shot when I go to look at the kayaks tomorrow. He was nice enough, just felt very high pressure. Then again, I know they deal with having to sell to make a living. I usually shop for everything online (gave some thought to ordering the pa14 through amazon --could do it, but wanted to see it first). If I do still get the feeling that he's not going to respect my feelings, I'll go to the other dealer.

Thinwater--that is a good point, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone who owns and loves the floating banana. LOL I know a lot of folks that love yellow boats too, but I've always had more subdued colors, and just prefer it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ordered two Hobies from Austin Kayak on line, 150 shipping. It was here in a week. Did not like my local dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Lee. I might even just do that if I feel uncomfortable with the dealer tomorrow. The shipping from Amazon was 199 so your deal was even better. I'll check out Austin, thanks. I was going to go with Amazon originally, and it looked like it would ship fast enough, but the price at Austin is even better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You local dealer will handle all warranty claims you may have on your Hobie. Not to knock on-line dealers, but do you want them to handle your warranty claim should you have one?

Had an issue where the idler wheel broke on the Mirage Drive. My dealer gave me another set of Mirage Drives to use while mine was being repaired. On another part, the dealer took it off one of the Hobies on the showroom floor as he didn't have that specific part.

Some folks swear by the cradles where others swear by the PVC pipes. Wouldn't crit the dealer for trying to sell you a set if he believes in them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Some folks swear by the cradles where others swear by the PVC pipes. Wouldn't crit the dealer for trying to sell you a set if he believes in them.

thats actually an incredibly good point. i didnt think of it that way. kudos to you for keeping an open mind.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks and that's a good point. Really, I'm going in tomorrow with an open mind. He seemed like a really likable guy other than he tried with all his might to convince me I would prefer a 12 instead of a 14. LOL And then was adamant that the pvc pipes is a very bad idea, and I needed cradles. I think the racks I've seen on here are amazing and provide even better support than the expensive cradles. I could be wrong of course, but I am going to go with that.

Again, he did call back and let me know that he did end up having a 14 available that he missed in his inventory when I first spoke with him, if I really felt that was the way I wanted to go.

Also, about an hour later I called him again to clear up some confusion I had over the new paddle sticker that is replacing the old registration sticker. I didn't know if I still had to apply for a title on a new kayak even though it wasn't necessary to 'register' like a boat anymore. He said no, the yearly $6 paddle sticker (this is Illinois, sorry, not sure how it is anywhere else) will now replace everything (title/registration) with the IDNR. Anyway, he was very helpful. I may have just felt pressured because I'm not used to dealing with "dealers". I shop online or at "box type" stores, even like BassPro and those that don't really have the same type of sales people.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I had been your dealer/salesman, I also would have tried to talk you out of buy that big heavy 14 :mrgreen:

I looked at the cradles and decided that I should go with the PVC. But being your salesman/dealer might try to sell you a set of cradles rather than send you to Home Depot :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well the PA14 is a great choice. We have two of them. I tried to talk my wife to get the 12 and i would get the 14. She wanted the 14 and has never looked back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

See, I can understand that some may love the 12 vs the 14, and vice versa. If everyone wanted the same thing, all yaks would be the same. For me, I've been a boater for years and I've never heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller boat. Have to have one, can only afford one, can't store a bigger one... sure, but not want a smaller one.

That may not apply, but I have another reason for wanting the bigger version too. I'm a bigger version person. hahaha. Either way, I'll give an honest check out of both, and have an open mind about everything but the cradles. Not really likely to change my mind on that.

Heck, I may even end up with a floating banana. It wouldn't be the first time I've said "I would never have.... something", and end up with just that, and loving it. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This may sound weird, but i have installed the Hobie sidekick on my PA 14 as a safety extra. I too am a very large man at 280 lbs and fish in a highly congested area where large boats tend to not slow down.