You guys crack me up!
I first posted this nearly a year ago and had one response… Nohuhu’s aussie encouragement. I’m not sure of why the sudden amount of interest lately (Slaughters video possibly???) but I thought I had better update progress and get this thread back on track.
I did relocate the aft mainsheet padeye 36cm (14”) back, using a four bolt base padeye. It fits nicely between the up/down rudder lines and has proved reliable in the 6 months it has been on. The TI sail can now be used closehauled OK:
As the hull deck is slightly curved I bent the padeye base around some 2” waterpipe to get the right curve:
The four bolts were fitted with large flat washers internally and double locknuts.
I have also
-lengthened the mainsheet by 2 metres. (I upgraded my TI mainsheet and used the old one, cut down, on the AI)
-upgraded the V-Brace socket screw to the stronger TI version
-replaced the insulation tape, used to build up the tapered mast collar, with a harder plastic film that isn’t deformed by the mast bearings.
Regarding some of the recent discussion
This is an ‘11 hull so it does have the stronger transom. I have the new rudder but haven’t upgraded it yet mainly because I use this as my commute twice a week in kayak mode and the Twist-n-Stow is perfect for this. The upgraded rudder is much larger and less transport friendly. I will have to upgrade it though as the last time I tried the TI mast on the AI (Slaughters video) I did have trouble with the rudder kicking up. I didn’t bungee it down and it was definitely overpowered even in those lighter winds that day.
I don’t think this is an issue, especially as I use the haka to level the hull and I furl the sail when the wind gets up. I didn’t do this mod to increase top speed (though I would like to see how it handles stronger winds) but to get better light wind performance. I plan to overlay the TI sail with the AI sail and mark it so that I only have the AI sail area (maybe a bit more) out in stronger winds.
As Chris points out I have struggled to get the time to test this properly. The TI has priority but I do plan on testing this mod out a bit more soonish. I am interested in the performance of the 'furled to AI sail area' and whether there are problems with the wrapped sail.
BTW -Chris I’d be happy for you to try this on your AI sometime. You wouldn’t be able to sail close hauled with the sail fully out but on all other points of sail it should be OK.