Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Subject to weather (of course), I am planning a trip from Shoal Bay to Broughton Island, leaving on Thursday 25th April, and returning the next day. departure could be delayed until Saturday if weather conditions require it.

I have two starters already. Any interest from you guys, Striingy, Chrisj, worky, Slaughter, Davew etc?

BTW I love pavlova (hint hint), but plan to roast a chicken instead :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony - I have got too much on to contemplate this trip but will be with you in spirit and be most interested in hearing all about your little adventure.
Roast chicken is mighty temptin' and Slaughter's Pav is to die for :D :D
Best wishes for a safe and memorable trip :wink:
BTW I have a Shark Shield I bought especially for that trip. I've only ever used it the once so far. Gave me some comfort but the other guys didn't want to be too near me in case the shark took out it's frustration on them :o :o :shock:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately Tony, Anzac day is the start of my 4 shifts that week so I won't be able to make it. :(
I sure do want to get back there and camp sometime. I'd like to make it longer than an overnighter next time.
Hope you enjoy BI as much as we have! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd really like to join you but we are organising a trip to Jervis Bay that weekend Tony. I'm sure you'll have a great trip. As you can see, it's not that far away. :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tony

Would love to join you, but i need to invest in an epirb and marin radio first.

You should also bear in mind that camping ont he island is very limited, and you must book and pay in advance. Below is a link. There are only 5 camp sites

https://nsw.rezexpert.com/book?business_code=500268

Good luck, maybe next year.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Greg,
That reservation system sucks the big one. Firstly, most of the five "sites" are wooden platforms, and pitching tents on them require lucky placement of tie-down rings. Up to 4 2-man tents can fit on each platform. Cost for half a dozen people is around $72 a night - pretty ambitious for a site with no amenities at all.

Hmmmm, we shall see.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got back! We finished up being just two TIs and one AI. Can I say that Dune is the new black? :mrgreen:

We had an awesome time, apart from me breaking TWO rudder pins on the one trip, having never broken any in 85+ prior outings since launching in June

Conditions were perfect for the trip to the Island, totally in conflict with official forecasts, and it only took us 2 hours 38 minutes, which included a lot of faffing around as Rob changed my rudder pin at sea. The return trip took heaps longer as we had to tack, and my TI sailed like a log (later discovered to be partly due to lots of water in the hull caused by heavy load leaving the rudder line holes very close to water level).

My $49 Kmart camera looks ahead

A pano of the beautiful cove. I had to put my tent up on the beach. Tough life eh!

As it turned out, setting up on the beach just above high water was no problem, and we didn't bother with the two campsites (like this one) which were booked but unoccupied.

We had taken lots of water with us, but discovered there is a fresh water spring by the beach, so will take a note for next time (checking with the rangers first of course)

It was pretty hard to take, seeing jumping mullet, stingrays cruising 10 feet from the shore, fairy penguins, plus the usual dolphins in Port Stephens. Only downside was Sue put a leg down a muttonbird burrow on Thursday, and bruised her ribs so severely we discussed the possibility of her needing to leave her AI on the Island and go home in another boat, but fortunately she came good the next morning.

Rob Saunders (nicrob here) discovered that fledgling mutton birds have absolutely no fear of humans, and this one decided to use his knee for wing strengthening limber-ups!

More to come!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice pictures, Tony. Regarding that fresh water spring, do you have any problem with giardia over there? Giardia is a nasty intestinal parasite that makes people pretty sick. It is found in almost all surface water over here in the lower states (not in Alaska.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good question Keith! I will investigate further. It would have to be a real crock for there to be nasties in the water, given that the island is 4 miles offshore, and has nothing but the camping facilities and a few fishing shacks in the next beach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been looking forward to your report Tony. Great stuff. 8)
How were the swells/backwash out of Shoal Bay? Do you know what caused your rudder pin breaks?
Interesting that though the sites were booked no one turned up. I was thinking it was going to be a bit crowded.
It's a great place. A longer stay is on my to do list! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The giardia parasite is introduced into the fresh water by infected mammals including humans.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I've been looking forward to your report Tony. Great stuff. 8)
How were the swells/backwash out of Shoal Bay? Do you know what caused your rudder pin breaks?
Interesting that though the sites were booked no one turned up. I was thinking it was going to be a bit crowded.
It's a great place. A longer stay is on my to do list! :wink:

Thanks Stringy.
We headed out on the last third of the outwards tide, and hugged the southern side of the opening, but conditions were gentle enough that we headed north east of Boondelbah Island and made a beeline for Broughton.

I still haven't worked out what caused the pins to break - still recovering from a lack of sleep!

Strange indeed about the empty campsites.. it would be good to book one on a future trip, and to be able to use the picnic tables etc rather than grovelling around at sand level.

Let me know when you are up for a trip as I would be back like a sho, and one of our number, who had to pull out at the last minute, would also be a definite starter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the trip report Tony.

It sounded like you were onto something with the rudder pin, in that it must have a used by date like a timing belt. 'Change after every 60 days of sailing'. But then you broke another which blew that theory ! Any thoughts ?

What a great place hey ! Seeing as you are breaking rules anyway by camping on that beach, I was thinking ( if the winds were right ) that camping on the Northern beach would be a better spot. Bit less protected but still it is a beautiful beach and less populated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will have a really close look at the rudder area tomorrow. Today I am in clean up mode. Do you want to know how much mess half a jar of instant coffee can make inside the hull after a lumpy ocean crossing, where the heavy cargo caused a lot of water to enter through the rudder line holes? My tent and anchor rope were green and white respectively...

As for camping on the beach, I don't think we would have been in trouble, as they simply cannot send you out to sea if you don't have a campsite booked. Our only issue was the 1.5 metre tide difference. We arrived at low tide, and had to move the TIs up the beach about 10 times (bugger carrying 'em!) until the tide was fully in. Fortunately we left on a high tide in the morning, rather conveniently.

! wanna go back again asap! C'mon Slaughter, you know you want to!

PS the chicken was awesome, but the Cobb cooker takes too long when three hungry people are staring at it for over an hour! Slaughter's pavlova remains king of the island :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right. I do want to go back and I reckon in the whale season would be a good time. June to August going North, and Sept to Nov going South. Mid winter ain't my ideal time in going camping but I'm determined to see a whale from the AI. It would be best to do it in numbers though for obvious reasons.

Forgot to mention before you left, that it's a good idea for at least one person to take a cart. As we know, they are a pain to take on a trip but moving the boats up the beach was a (censored) for us as well. One cart would have made it so much easier. ( (censored) isn't a rude word is it ? )