Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Back again with some questions ... I have a shopping list to get started for me a my daughter ... I need two of each ... wetsuits, life jackets, gloves, and boots. I went on Murrays and there's so much to choose from. I'm lost.

I live in Monmouth NJ ... should I shop on line or is there a place that I can visit.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It all comes down to budget and personal preferences. Maybe someone in the area can point you toward a local shop for you to be able to look at and try on some gear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In2Bass wrote:
wetsuits, life jackets, gloves, and boots

I would not buy a wetsuit online. A wetsut need to fit well to be effective and comfortable. Look for a local Hobie dealer, REI, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

REI is having their 20% off sale now through the weekend for members

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For a good deal on a woman's wet suit, look at NRS web site. The woman's Ultra Jane Wetsuit is on sale for $80 (regularly $150)with a extra-long, double-pull YKK® front relief zipper makes it easy to "go" on the go.

Get yourself the Men's 3.0 Ultra John wetsuit for $170 very warm with a relief zipper too.

Being able to pee without removing your wet suit is important... 8)

There part of your shopping list. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you've never worn or purchased a wetsuit before, it is always preferred to try them on before buying. This gives you the opportunity to see the differences between various suit styles in person as well as have your fit evaluated by an expert.

I've heard good things about The Jersey Paddler in Brick. I understand they have a large selection of wersuits and drysuits although I've never been in the store yet (drive past them from time to time). There are also numerous surf shops near the coast although surf suits tend to be less suited to Hobie sailing (most sailors opt for a jacket & john style suit).

If you do go the online route, Murrays is good. You may even want to give them a call. They are good about exchanges for size (just charge for the return shipping).

I've also had good luck with wetsuitwearhouse.com and they have a good exchange policy and fast shipping. If you go the online route, expect that you probably won't get the size right the first time around, so best to factor the extra shipping cost and time into the equation.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check with Local Shops first.

Then you can also check with any PWC shops (Seadoo, Kawasaki, Yamaha), They may have some Jetpilot or Slippery Wetsuits. I have used Slippery Wetsuits for years, Use to be sponsored by them (Jetski Racing). They are designed for freedom of movement 3mm/2mm construction. Some Wetsuits do not give freedom of movement. These can also be ordered online Overtons.com Parkeryamaha Rivaracing, OptimaRacing, Blowsion.com

Note, The Slippery Products run on the small size. Like others said, it is best to try on. I have had to send Wetsuits back for better sizing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Never had to use a wetsuit on a boat, but surfed for decades, so I have some experience here. With wetsuits the fit is very important. Each wetsuit vendor has a particular shape they use for each size of wetsuit. For example in a XL sized suit one vendor will have a broader chest and another will have a longer inseam, all based on whatever manikin or model they design that size wetsuit to. For myself a XL O'Neal fits great but I could never wear an XL RipCurl. So, what you want to do is go someplace where they stock three or four brands in your size and try them on. Normally, once you find a brand and size, any model of suit in that brand and size will fit you well.
It could be that fit is less important for boating than surfing, but usually a good fit costs the same as a poor fit, so why not get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for all of the replies!

I will shop around this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In2Bass wrote:
Back again with some questions ... I have a shopping list to get started for me a my daughter ... I need two of each ... wetsuits, life jackets, gloves, and boots. I went on Murrays and there's so much to choose from. I'm lost.

I live in Monmouth NJ ... should I shop on line or is there a place that I can visit.

Thanks!

There are West Marine's near Monmouth. Might be worth dropping in so you can size things up. I use West Marine's Reflex life vest and like the fit and utility (as well as the price tag).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO8a-DGBvkY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Brian.