Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishing Reel Opinions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I tossed another rod and reel over the side today. It was my bass/bait rig; a Shimano Corvalus 300 and WalMart pole. I gotta stop doing this.
Anyway, I need a 10-20lb saltwater casting-type reel that costs about $50-$70. I've got to buy one ASAP, anyone have any opinions if this is the style of reel you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

C'mon Ron--you have heard of gear leashes, have you not? :mrgreen: I gotta admit, gear leashes can be a real PINTA at times, but I have yet to lose anything, and I mean ANYTHING, over the side. Came close recently when I didn't use a leash and my trolling jig snagged on a clump of oysters. I heard this screeching noise and finally realized that my RAM rocketlauncher rodholder was being angled aft and the rod and reel were about to be launched (for real) into the drink.

I favor reels like the Shimano Baitrunners on my larger rods, and the Okuma Baitfeeder models on my smaller rods. These both have 2 drags, one fore and one aft, with the lighter drag being used with live or cut bait, or for trolling. When I almost lost the rod and reel above, I had forgotten to set the lighter drag so the rod was being pulled against the heavier main drag. These things work great (when used properly!), especially with circle hooks for large pelagics like shark, amberjack, and hopefully one of these days, a tarpon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With all my fishing and camera stuff, I've got wires and ropes all over the place. I know I should tie my gear down, but it's too much hassle. I lost this rod and reel when I had a double hookup on my heavy duty rigs, somehow the lines got crossed, snagged the bait pole, pulled it out of the rod holder on my bait tank and over the side.
Next time I'll just stick it below deck when I'm done catching bait. The costly gear, like GPS and radio, are tied on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron... I learned the hard way.. even though.. I had EVERYTHING attached to my yak.. so I thought... and was VERY careful.. (was not in my suv at the time).. even my junk bag.. with my lure/jig box knife and lipgrabber... etc... was attached on the front of my yak... well... it opened up... when the yak flipped and was upside down.. I lost about 130. worth of lures.. etc... Made me sick. NOW... EVERYTHING is tied down.. (plus I do NOT bring that much out there anymore). I will also think about 10 times.. before I use an anchor in a heavy wind again. The fishing junk bag.. just opened up and sacrificed almost everything in it to King Neptune... and the stuff inside was not tied down. I didn't think I would need it tied down. What an idiot I was!!! HA I think my suv is more stable than the Mainstream Renegade I was using. It's a very hard lesson to learn. Sorry to hear about loosing your nice rod/reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I usually tie all the expensive stuff to the boat, but from time to time I sacrifice a little hardware to King Neptune.
One time I was on a party boat and my buddies and I were laughing and joking around. I wasn't paying attention and I had a fish hit and pulled the rod right out of my hand. Now that was embarrassing, but I maintain the beer I was holding in my other hand weakened my grip.
When I lost the rig this time, I had a double hookup of two ten pound plus yellowtail, somehow the lines got crossed, snagged the other rod and that was all she wrote.
All in all, I can't complain too much, still, I must make more progress on the lifetime goal of not being an idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
...still, I must make more progress on the lifetime goal of not being an idiot.

Now, there's a great signature line for the rest of us! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, I'm making progress there. This time I only spent about $55 on a reel instead of the $70 I spent for the reel that now sits at the bottom off La Jolla.
Pretty nice looking reel, Okuma Convector 15C.

Post subject: Reels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,
You didn't say what you were using the reel for. Trolling live bait or throwing plastics or krocks.

Cabela's has a sweet reel on sale right now for $49. The Salt Striker 6600
holds 200 yards of 17 lb line. It has a clicker. I use mine on a 7 ft Whupin'
Stick casting rod from Cabela's with 15 lb line. The rod is a 2 pc and it has a 10 year guarantee against breakage. The best thing is the price, $20! It has good action too! It works great for the middleweights like the 3 B's that you will meet up with at La Jolla. That reel casts like a dream! It has a solid machined aluminum frame and sideplates. It also has super smooth drag! I liked them so much I bought 2 more of them. I don't work for Cabela's, I just like a lot of their stuff.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Robert-I did see that Cabelas had one of their reels on sale for $50, but at the time I was shopping for a reel, I think it was the Prestige, the Salt Striker looks like a better buy for a kayak fisherman. I like Cabelas, I buy a lot of my plastics and jig heads there.
I had heard good things about Okuma reels and never tried one, so I decided to give them a shot. Okuma supports the local kayak community, so why not? Plus, Turners Outdoorsman out there in San Marcos had one of the Okuma Convectors left, so I hauled on out there and got it. I've used it a couple times since I got it, it's a nice reel, so I'm stoked with it. I use 20lb. test line for fishing out in the ocean, I'll probably use 12lb. test when I switch over to bay fishing in a couple months. Hope it doesn't wind up at the bottom with my other stuff.
Oh, and welcome to the forum. I'm just down the 78 from you, maybe I'll see you out there.

Post subject: Reel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,
I ordered one of those Okuma Convectors also. I got the CV-30CS with the 6.2:1 ratio. I figured it would be good for trolling macks and yo yoing
iron at la Jolla. The price sure is right at $65! I have several Okuma spinning reels that work fantastic. This will be the first conventional reel that I have from them. I have a Diawa SL30SH that I bought used from a guy about 7 years ago. It still works great, but it looks butt ugly! I have heard good things about Okuma's conventional reels though. I will post the results after I try mine out. It should be here in a week. In the mean time I will just roll with the old Diawa. I'm going to go down to Fastlane Sailing Center in Mission Bay Saturday to try out a '07 Outback Mirage. If I like it, and I'm sure I will, I will most likely get one next year. I'm hitting La Jolla Sunday with some friends. Maybe I'll see on the water soon.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a Dawia Sealine 40 SHV that I usually use with 30lb. test and a Penn 545 that has 40lb. test. Both rigs have caught 20 pound plus yellowtail this year, I've also had fish snap the line on both setups, so it's not too heavy duty. The photos are in the Fishing Images section here. The Dawia has that gold plating on it, it's all scratched up, the side of the reel is kind of mangled as well from sticking it below deck all the time.
I caught a 10-12 lb. yellowtail with the Convector on a rod that is rated for 10lb. test line, that was a lot of fun. I snapped a rod at LJ last year, I thought I might make it two in a row.
If you go to La Jolla on Sunday, I'd get there early. I might try to make it out on Wednesday if I can get out of the shop.

Post subject: La Jolla Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,
I get there at 4:30 A.M. and never have a problem parking. I park in the neighborhood and roll down to the beach with my launch wheels. I bungee my wheels on, launch and go fishing. When I land I put the wheels back on and roll right past all the chaos at the driveway back to my truck.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I usually try to launch by 4-4:30 so I can make bait and get out to about 65' before sunrise. I believe the fishing is best in the morning, so I want to get my money's worth if I drive down there. The pier is the best bet for bait, when it gets light, it's not as reliable.
If you have a cart, you can park in the lot and wheel down there. Parking on Avenida de la Playa, right down from the launch can be kind of a zoo sometimes. Lots of kooks turning around, damage to vehicles is not unheard of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:54 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I'd look at Penn's.

Hijacking the thread your loss is another illustration of the requirement for providing internal rod storage for Hobie's, in particular the ocean going boats like the Adventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well Dan, the Quest I have has plenty of internal rod storage. If you read a couple of the posts, you would have known that I lost my rod and reel when it got tangled up during a double hookup while out on the ocean on my ocean going Quest. I also have a Penn reel.