Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Toronto Boatfest was on last weekend and Allan in his Revo, Greg in his TI and myself in my AI, sailed out from Rathmines to attend. If we'd have been racing for the whole day I reckon we would probably have crossed the line in a dead heat. There was hardly a breath on the way down and a cross breeze on the way home. I think with the weight advantage, Allan was whinging the least on the way down to Toronto and on the way back, Greg had the biggest grin.

I'll let the video explain how good the day was. Hope you like it.

P.S. See if you can spot NOHUHU's entry !

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

your camera work, production, and editing are EXCELLENT. Great video! Thanks for sharing the experience...I expect I'll watch them a couple of times. Bob

2013 Oasis w/ Sail VA - USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate...what Bob said! 8)
I've already watched it a few times. That was so well put together you'd think you were a professional. You could give up your day job with that effort.
What I like about Vimeo is that once you've watched it it's easy to copy the file from your temp internet folder (which I've done), unlike youtube which splits it into lots of smaller files now.
That Batboat isn't how I remember it!!
And what have you done to the nose of your splitter? Does it stop the drips from the handles?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks fellas. Yeah I was pretty pleased at how the video turned out. With the editing, it’s always the 80/20 rule ie: it takes 20% of the time to do what looks like 80% of the work. Thanks to Allan and Greg, it was a great day and this event is on every year so perhaps we should all get together as a group for the next one. As per usual we sold about a dozen Hobies.

Stringy - Just playing around with shapes for the front of the Splitter. That one is coming off cause it still drips. I really prefer Vimeo over YouTube. The standard of other video’s on Vimeo pushes you to pick up your game and it’s full of good ideas and video tips.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Loved the video! There's nothing as beautiful as a well loved wooden boat. Well, OK, I don't buy that either, but they sure are pretty and I especially enjoy them from my near zero maintenance plastic boat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Puget. You're dead right, they are real works of art. I'm glad there are people out there with the skill's and commitment to bring these old boats back to life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mahalo Russ. Another "classic" video. Chocka block with tasty closeups and clever editing. Even a Batman reference. :mrgreen:

Looks like you had a great time. Sailing with the old boats was the big payoff for me. Some day, our boats will be "classics", too.

Till then, I'll keep the box tuned to Slaughter-TV.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hey Slaughter VERY NICE video - really enjoyed watching it. You have mastered the art of telling a story in your videos with a great blend of different shots, framing and music. You know how to put all the pieces together and should consider entering one of those short film competitions.
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the encouragement NOHUHU and aussie. I’ve joined a couple of video forums and am now rubbing internet shoulders with some pretty skillful and arty people. I just hope that some of their creative juices eventually rub off in this direction. But in looking at some of the stuff that they produce, I’m nowhere near. I have gotten a few pointer though from Jordan Manley who produced this.

I love his work and sometimes you can pinch some simple things like transitions between shots, or even as simple as a text font that ‘just works’. As long as I feel that each of my videos is better than the previous one and that you lot get something out of it, I’m happy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seeing those excellent close ups, I meant to mention that your mast bearing plate is showing fresh signs of contact wear (from the furling ring). These 2 things should not touch. You may be experiencing hard furling when they do.

Unless there's another explanation for what I saw, you should consider adjusting the V-brace to lower the deck or check the furling ring for signs of glue failure.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:

Unless there's another explanation for what I saw, you should consider adjusting the V-brace to lower the deck or check the furling ring for signs of glue failure.

Cheers!

Thanks mate. Don't know yet which fix is required but I'm onto it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter,

Thank you so very much for the intro. to Jordan Manley. His photography and videos are extraordinary and simply amazing; I've never seen anything like this!

I can see why you admire his work. It's not just his filming technique that's breathtaking, it's his ability to convey his enthusiasm and appreciation for what he's experiencing at that very moment that's so powerful.

You're in good hands. Good luck, and also please keep sharing your work with us as well.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sun E - Dead right. His work is amazing but there are others out there once you start looking and 'vimeo' is certainly the place to look. Here is another. Just have a go at some of the camera angles. As I said, it's these quality videos where I can hopefully pinch ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Slaughter,

OMG!

OK, I promise to never worry about another scratch or ding to my beloved TI ever again, and never complain about a wet bum either.

Thanks again for turning us on to these outstanding examples of youth and the shear joy to be alive, doing the things you love to do.

I've signed up on the Vemo web site and hope to see more of your work posted in the near future :wink: .

2014 Tandem Island