Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Newbie i12 owner. Does the valve "bleed" if too much pressure is applied with the hand pump? Or could one conceivably overinflate with the hand pump?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the inflate directions says not to over inflate with the hand pump. but I do not have the directions at work. Something tells me to be careful with the hand pump supplied with the yak. good luck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been using the K-Pump Kwik Check Standard Pressure Gauge for that last two years to verify that air pressure on my i14T remains within the recommended 3.5 psi - 5 psi range. I do not know if the gauge is calibrated to 100% accuracy, but I find it is better to have a single point of reference than none at all.

http://www.k-pump.com/products/pressure-gauges/k-pump-kwik-check-standard-gauge.html

The photo on the K-Pump site does not depict an included adapter tip, which fits the Hobie inflation valves perfectly.

I use a portable lithium-ion battery powered pump to quickly inflate the i14T to @3.5 psi, then top up with a K-Pump 400 to @ 4 psi, checking pressure with the gauge.

The gauge is especially useful in hot weather, since pressure can rapidly increase as air heats up in the inflation chambers. If the gauge indicates the pressure is approaching maximum recommended levels, you can quickly bleed the valves as needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can usually notice as the pump begins to get a little harder to work back and forth. That's the point at which I press on the kayak to see how hard it is. I usually end up putting about 5-10 more pumps into it at that point. The i12s's construction is amazingly stiff, so there's no need to over-inflate.