Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Kayaks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I am new to kayaks. In fact, my last experience was 20 years ago on a 20 mile camping trip in a tandem. I loved it but adulthood had other priorities and kayaking took a back seat.

Now in my 40's I am wanting to get back into something more adventurous. Owning a 19 ft bass boat puts me on the water quite a bit. But I still have a yearning to kayak.

I have narrowed it down to the Pro Angler in the 12 or 14 variety and another manufacturers model.

Here's the downside, there is a dealer 1.5 hours away. But after talking to them on the phone I get the sensation they aren't a top notch dealer as when I called them and asked if they had any in stock all I got was a simple "No". I asked if they would get any and I got a simple "No". No additional info was given or extra dialogue. Not the kind of dealer I want to give my hard earned money to. Especially when we are talking close to 3K.

The next closest dealer is 5 hours which to me is too far for a demo. So I'm somewhat committed to buy online.

My next dilemma is trying to call Hobie for support. Today I tried to call them and found when I pressed 1 for English, I couldn't understand what the recording said after that. For you folks who have called Hobie for customer service or product info, have you had the same problem?

Obviously since this is a Hobie forum there is a somewhat biased opinion in favor of these boats. Is the PA the way to go or should I look at some other models in a lower price range as a beginner?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New to Kayaks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Man I hate to hear this story. I am a big proponent of working with your local dealer, but it seems evident that your local dealer is somewhat lackluster.
I hate to say this, but you really ought to bite the bullet and make the drive to test ride. You'd never buy a car with out a test drive or get married without a first date.

Hobie depends on their dealers for almost all their customer service issues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

onrope wrote:
Well, I am new to kayaks. In fact, my last experience was 20 years ago on a 20 mile camping trip in a tandem. I loved it but adulthood had other priorities and kayaking took a back seat.

Now in my 40's I am wanting to get back into something more adventurous. Owning a 19 ft bass boat puts me on the water quite a bit. But I still have a yearning to kayak.

I have narrowed it down to the Pro Angler in the 12 or 14 variety and another manufacturers model.

Here's the downside, there is a dealer 1.5 hours away. But after talking to them on the phone I get the sensation they aren't a top notch dealer as when I called them and asked if they had any in stock all I got was a simple "No". I asked if they would get any and I got a simple "No". No additional info was given or extra dialogue. Not the kind of dealer I want to give my hard earned money to. Especially when we are talking close to 3K.

The next closest dealer is 5 hours which to me is too far for a demo. So I'm somewhat committed to buy online.

My next dilemma is trying to call Hobie for support. Today I tried to call them and found when I pressed 1 for English, I couldn't understand what the recording said after that. For you folks who have called Hobie for customer service or product info, have you had the same problem?

Obviously since this is a Hobie forum there is a somewhat biased opinion in favor of these boats. Is the PA the way to go or should I look at some other models in a lower price range as a beginner?

Thanks!

Two things on your comments:

1) I am a bass tournament fisherman, a bass fishing guide, hold a Master Captain license, and have had many boats including high end bass boats for years. I too wanted to do something different so I purchased a Hobie Cat Pro Angler 12 and am very happy I did so. I am older and not as thin as I once was. I live in Central Florida and fish in big bass waters in heavy weeded areas where I can flip up big bass. I had not been is this type of a boat since I was much younger but I was determined to do so. I have owned the PA-12 for over nine months and even started to get comfortable with standing in the boat. That is something I never thought I would be able to do but I now do so regularly. You need to do a test ride. I would not go for a cheaper boat. The PA series is designed to fish and it sounds like that is what you want to do.

2) I am quite bothered about something else you said that Hobie does. You said you had to press 1 for English? I recently contacted the corporate headquarters for a large pharmaceutical company that is on every street corner in America. When I complained about the fact that the official language of the United States is English and that I refuse to press 1 to be able to speak in English, they totally agreed with me and are in the process of changing that requirement. I understand the need for people to have the ability to speak in another language so they can press 1 or any number that they need to press to do that. Hobie Cat, you are based in the United States and began in this country. When conducting business in the United States please do not require me to press 1 to conduct business in the official language of this country. I know I am not alone on this issue and have had many people comment on this offensive practice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comments. And while I am not opposed to buying online, I'm the kind of guy that likes to touch it before I buy it. Especially at this price point. Another negative to not having a nearby dealer is the point of a warranty claim. Will I have to drive 5 hours to have something taken care of under warranty?

As for the English thing. My biggest issue was not the press 1 for English. It was when I pressed one I still couldn't understand what the recording said. But, as an update, I just tried to call again and reached a recording which was clear and concise without the language choice options. Not sure what the deal is there, could be I mis-dialed the number originally. My apologies to that point.

So, while I'm relatively convinced the mirage drive is the only way to go for me rather than a paddle model. I am trying to decide on the 12 or 14. From one point the 12 would be easier to maneuver in and out, but the 14 would be big enough to gear up for a weekend trip and I suspect there is a slight increase in stability and the price diff. is a moot point.

Next is the price point... Uncle Sam wasn't nice on my tax return this year so I'm pinching pennies a bit this month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you know you're going with a Pro Angler, and your only decision now is whether to get the 12 or the 14, ask yourself how you're going to transport the boat. If on a trailer, get the 14. You'll never notice the extra length while on the trailer and once on the water the additional length and width offer some pluses. If you're going to be hauling it in the back of a pickup, get the 12 and save yourself a little bit work with a little lighter boat.

Now I'm going to throw something else out there - give some thought to one of the Island series boats if you plan to travel much distance on the water. I have a Pro Angler 14. It's a great boat, but I find that I don't use it as much anymore now that I have an Island. The Island isn't quite as roomy, but under sail (and assuming there is at least a few knots of wind) it's much faster than the PA and can really cover some ground. It will handle far rougher water than a PA and can be used in several different configurations which gives you some additional options.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't press 2 or you are totally screwed :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Transporting really isnt an issue. I currently own a truck which also has a camper shell with Thule rack. So I could theoretically stow the boat in bed as well as on top. Additionally I have a 6x10 all aluminum cargo trailer which I had considered modding to mount a couple of yaks on (give the long term goal to introduce the wife and kids to the sport).

So again it's down to more of a maneuverability factor while launching and portaging etc. I am asking myself if 2 extra foot would save the day or hinder it due to weight etc.

Also, while all along I had thought the Hobie livewell was standard equip. I'm just now realizing that it is not :cry: . And by it looks to be highly priced. Since I primarily will be freshwater fishing, and I usually use artificial bait. The Hobie livewell due to price is likely off the list of "must haves". Any reason why I should consider otherwise or just build a custom well with a cooler?

Sorry for all the trivial questions. But I was the experience to right the first time. Especially when you consider the investment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The 14 is a very stable BOAT I take my grand son with me most of the time. He is 8 and weighs 70 lbs. Can't tell he is with me, he rides behind me and loves fishing and I don't feel any difference in the handling of the boat.

makobob
2012 14 dune