Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI, even though dimensions for the black band sticker and its presence are still in the rules, downhauling past the black band has been removed. As stated, a mute point in your case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would highly appreciate if you, at a time when it fits you, could messure the length of your STX sail. I want to compare this to my mast and sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Toberra,
I have a Tiger ST main not the STX. They are the same size, STX has a larger top. Went to race it this weekend. Knew the diamonds on the used mast needed to be tightened. They looked fine, no rust or corrosion. They were seized. Soaked them in penetrant. Tried to adjust them again and broke the turnbuckle on one wire and broke the stud on the other. So, now I spend another $150 on this project and have only sailed it once. If I run into 1 more problem I'm giving up and selling all this gear. I can't even get US Sailing to verify the correct portsmouth for this set-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm sorry to hear you broke your mast gear. I know of a Tiger SX sail thats for sale here in Sweden. I want it but cannot buy it if I´m not 100% it fits my mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am confident, Mine is on perfectly. My diamond tension was loose on my intial demo, thats the reason the luff was backwinding. I have plenty of room for downhaul. The sail is above the luff feed when it engages. You must use the downhaul to pull it below. Ask the seller to let you try it if possible for your comfort. Believe me it will work. Get a spin while your at it, that really makes the boat fun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats sounds great! But I'm still confused. I have just been in contact with a seller of a used STX-main from 2005. He says that the sail is between 8,35 and 8,42 meters. My sail is 8,00 meters, and that sail goes below the feeder without tensioning the downhaul. I'm not sure there will be any room for that extra 30-40 cm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You said you were sailing an SX, right? The SX mast and the Tiger mast are the same height. Where are you getting the metric measurements from. The SX is an american made boat unless Europe offered a different version. Is your mast 29'6"? Or is it 28'. An SX is 29'6" and an SE is 28'. The Tiger sail will not fit an SE without modification. Measure your mast to be sure 29'6" from the base cap to the head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I messured my mast 20 minutes ago and it is 26,5ft (9 meters). So I supppose a Tiger main will fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, it will. I would still reconsider putting the hook back on your mast. Increase your downhaul system, 8:1 or better. Need more to flatten the square top main. Mine is smoke and I think it looks cool on the boat. I also cut 12" off a boom to fit the Tiger foot. Wait until you are convinced you like the sail before cutting yours. I cut it from the mast end, less stuff to move or adjust. Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont like the hook-system becouse I cant get the main down whenever I want (ex in rough sea when it's quite impossible to stand up in the boat). But if it is nessary to use a squaretop main I will definatly consider it.

Whats up with the downhaul? How does it "depower" the sail? In what conditions do I need that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Downhaul flattens the sail which depowers it. In strong wind when allready double trapped the downhaul is the next step to depower and maintain course before releasing main sheet. It controls the upper portion of the sail, especially the square top. Pentex does not stretch like dacron and won't spill air in stiff breezes. It is different, hard to describe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, so if we double trapeze, and that's still not enough to keep the boat from tipping over, then I tension the downhaul and the square-top spill wind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not the best one to explain this but the sail can go faster when flat but has less power. So your double trapped and still healing too much, you pull the downhaul hard and speed up with less heal. The new sail profiles also respond to this better. I even run a 5:1 on my dacron sail which gives a lot more pull than the factory set-up. Downhaul also effects mast bend, which acts to flatten the sail. Its still confusing to me, I could be explaining it wrong but I think this is correct. I've only recently began using the downhaul regularly and can feel the difference, especially in strong winds. I have changed and added so much to my boat it feels like I'm learning all over again. There is no guide for this, must learn by trial. So far I am very pleased. Got my new diamond wires on and tensioned today, 390lbs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sure you ar right about the downhaul. I've experimented with it but it does not make much diffrence on my VERRY poor delaminated mainsail.

Another thing is that it seems impossible to buy a used Tiger-main for a resonable price. Not here in Sweden, nor in the US where I've been looking for ad's on the internet. I'm thinking of a square-top SuperR from http://www.whirlwindsails.com/ instead. Great price. Same as I would have to pay for a used Tiger-main.

Regards
Tobias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen their sails, nice stuff. Try Dan Delave on the Tiger forum, he may know of a Tiger sail for sale. New is usually better than used. Whirlwind can provide the perfect cut for your application as well, the Tiger cut is not optimized for the SX mast. Tigers don't have comptips. The headplate will be configured right on the new sail as well. Ask them about downhaul and see what they suggest. Keep me informed, I am interested in any and all H18 conversions. The 18 is simply the best boat Hobie has produced for my uses and making it faster is my newest obsession.