Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is important read for all trolling motor searchers looking to put a motor on your kayak like I am. I’m still in shock at my recent communication with BassYaks. Maybe I was off base but I struggle to see where I went wrong. If you are thinking about a BassYak system (I think it is probably a good package & many of you can probably attest) you really should read this to understand a bit more about the company/owner before you buy from them. This communication string was so strange to me that I can't help but post it on some forums. Maybe some enterprising individual will see an opportunity to get some serious competition out there to BassYaks.

I was really interested (in fact one phone call away from spending $1300+) but now cannot do so, as you will see. Probably was meant to be. Please let me know if I’m unreasonable or where I went wrong. Did I actually deserve this response?

Sequence of emails:
Reason for initiating this email chain: I found a price from a BassYak dealer that was about $100 cheaper than the same system directly from BassYak.

Me to BassYak: ”My desired is to buy straight from the guy who makes these kayak motors (you) but for some reason your price is higher than one of your dealers by $118 for what appears to be the exact same system as listed below. Does your system include some upgrades like better handles to replace the rear one removed, 3 blade prop (as you mention below), cable clam vents on the rear deck (like shown in your picture) and/or something else? Shipping difference is only about $14 out of the $118. Don't mind the difference if I feel I'm getting something for the extra $100. Can you help me understand? I'm looking for the system I listed below but with the 45# version per your recommendation below for $20 more. Thanks Brian”

BassYak to me: “Who the dealer?”

Inserted Note to forum: I understand that some retail items are supposed to be all sold at suggested retail price but thought maybe direct purchase & an extra $100 was going to get me something extra.

Me to BassYak: “I'm not getting in the middle of this. Does the kit come with these rear replacement handles & attachments?” (Several other purchase clarifications) “Does this look correct? If your system matches the pictures above please let me know when is best time to call and order. Thanks”

BassYak to me: “As of right now my dealers have been told not to sell to you”

Me to BassYak: “What the heck just happened? I'm was planning to buy from you and not the dealer. Did not actually read my email above? Just shared with you a pricing situation and trying to understand if i was getting a better package from you for the money. Not trying to game you in anyway. Now you are treating me like I did you wrong because I won't squeal on one of your dealers. I just tried to call your web phone number to see if we could discuss as adults. Still would like your system but now not sure if you can trust me as much as I need to trust you. I really meant no harm, honest.”

BassYak to me: “I asked you a simple question and you decieded to play games”

Me to BassYak: “When someone is very helpful and treats you nice you may not feel any obligation to reciprocate but I do, and will not simply throw them under the bus. I was very respectful with you and this is how you treat me? You have Internet skills but you expect a potential customer to squeal on one of your dealers when you have access to the same Internet pricing information that I have. I did not come to a secret pricing agreement with this dealer. I just picked the options and added it up. Why are you treating me this way? “

BassYak to me: “Tomorrow all of my dealers will get an email not to sell to you.
LOOK ELSEWHERE YOU WON'T BE IN ONE OF MY BOATS.
That dealer was going to get your sale, but now I'll pay him not to sell to you.”

WOW! I really didn’t leave out any incriminating details. Was hoping for a way to resolve this but now, based on the responses, even if this could be resolved I couldn’t trust getting a 100% system from him at the end of the day. I'm afraid something stressful is going on at the store. So… off to alternative solutions. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Really weird! I think I'd back away from that guy. Who knows, he may have black helicopters flying over his house. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very interesting and negative response. Often times the manufacturer will sell for a higher price because they don't want to undercut the dealers that support them. I think that he over reacted to your questions or read something into them. Not a good way for him to do business but he made it obvious that he doesn't need the (your) sales. If this is the way that he is reacting to an honest inquiry, I would be concerned about the "after sale" and warranty/service if you bought something from him. If you really want that motor, send a friend or relative in to make the purchase or wear a disguise! Good luck with your search.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would love to call them and inquire about ordering just to get a reaction like you got. There are people out there that have short fuses, and I just love to light them. Nothing vicious or hurtful just reasonable stuff. After reading this forum this guy will now ban anyone named Bob , or anyone responding to this post from buying from his company.
This is hilarious but sad ( I feel for the guys family)
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This guy has posted on several other threads about his product. I couldn't believe how stupid this guy is when it comes to business matters. I also was interested in his product but after seeing some of his responses, I decided that there was no way I would want to be doing business with such a wacko. What if I had a warranty problem or repair problem. There would be no telling what kind of a response you would get from this guy.

Go search out your other options and buy with confidence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BrianT
I have done alot of research for the best motor for my needs. So I have been in alot of forums reading what people have to say about different motors(this forum particularly). I have never spoke to, or emailed the owner of Bassyaks.....But I can tell you i am not surprised by what your saying your experience was with this guy based on some of the post he has made in multiple forums about his system vs others. He is a horrible business man and a complete DICK. My advice is. If your willing to spend $1300 on the bassyak,why not go a little farther and buy the Torqeedo 403. I bought one from Hook1 a week ago. They are really helpful and professoinal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been following torqueedo and their products for quite some time now. I believe their products to be very well engineered and several steps above pretty much anything else out there. If I could afford one I would not hesitate to buy one. If my financial situation ever changes ( if I win the lottery ) I will buy one.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh man, thanks for posting this, i can't stand "a holes" that act like this. I'm definitely spreading the word to stay clear of Bass yaks stuff.

Wouldn't mind a few rounds in the ring with this chap to straighten him out either.

Dang idiot, sorry it slipped.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah ........ the last couple of years SteveK (I think ) has gone on several websites as SteveK and praising Bassyaks without letting on that he is the owner ........ he also posted (or someone) who had just registered posted how great they are and misrepresenting a bunch of stuff including price and a bunch of other stuff. Truth is Bassyaks is older tech ........ if you like that type of installation then check out Island hopper ......... the guy that runs that is super nice.

If you don't mind spending just a little more then take a serious look at the Torqeedo 403. I have one and it is REALLY worth the price. PM me and I can tell ya all about it. Got mine from Hook1 too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All of the Bassyaks products are sold at a fixed price, every dealer is supposed to sell at the same price. To avoid situations like this, I asked you for the Dealers name and you refused to tell me, I refused to sell to you.
Read this about Money Makers post viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41786&start=75
islandspeed2001 our warranty is one of the best in the business. I've given complete kayaks away, mailed out replacement pieces years after the warranty is over, free of cost. Ask any owner see if you can find any Bassyaks owner who is upset.