Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: two PA12 Car top?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

getting ready to buy two PA12 this week and i drive a 1999 nissan Pathfinder. Is it possible to car top this beastly watercraft?

Post subject: Re: two PA12 Car top?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is is possible? Yes. Safe? That depends on what your rack configuration is. Be sure to check with what the manufacturer of your rack system says is the rated weight capacity. I recently had to upgrade my rack system so that I can carry a PA12 and a Revo 13 using my rack system and stay within(barely :lol: ) the safe weight limit for my rack system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I drive a 2001 jeep cherokee and am able to load mine and carry it without much problem. Look into a decent rack system and have no fear. It can be done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

what kind of racks would you recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakima makes some good systems but to be honest, I kind of missed the fact that you want to put two of these big boys up there. That's a lot of weight. If I wanted to transport two of these things I would definitely find a trailer set-up. Best of luck. You will love these boats. Lots of fun. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a PA14 on my Honda Pilot with the method detailed on this forum by TDK....works great. I did however convert a jet ski trailer this past winter and like that much more. I am rigged in the garage and ready to go. Topping is not that hard, it just takes more time to load/unload. I would not try to cartop 2 PA12s. Get a double jet ski trailer and use PVC bunks. If you do car top any type of kayak be sure to strap the bow and stern to the front/back of your vehicle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You may want to look into a hitch extender? That way the weight is distributed over a larger area and not all the weight on the roof rack. My hitch extender from Harbor Freight works great on my pickup. I would think this would be a lot more stable than a rack used alone?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just had a look at whispbar (Popular racks in Australia) for your vehicle.

http://www.whispbar.com.au/cars/nissan/ ... suv-129934

You will notice that regardless of whether you choose the standard square bars, the better slim quiet bars or the heavy duty extra thick bars your weight limit remains at 75 kg. this is because it actually has nothing to do with the weight the racks are tested at, it's the factory mounting point of your vehicle that was designed by Nissan.

At a maximum weight capacity of 75kg you would be silly to mount 2 pro anglers (90+kg combined unloaded) and if something happened your insurance company would not pay for any damage to your own car or a 3rd party and you have overloaded your car to an unsafe level.

Call your local Nissan dealer or read your user manual for more info.

Mods: please leave the link in my post as it is great reference help for the user. I am not affiliated with this company in any way and have no commercial or monetary gain from this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

great info everyone. i came to the conclusion that i am not going to top two PA12. I am going to buy one PA12 until i get a double jets ski trailer. guess the girlfriend is gonna have to hold out while i enjoy the new kayak by myself. all the article i read online having a trailer is so much easier. i guess my nissan factory racks should be safe for the pa12 user manual says don't load more then 100lb of luggage

thanks for all the replies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:27 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Two PA's is a lot of YAK to be hauling around. I do it in my pickup

I installed a Rack Back Behind the cab, which I mounted Yakima Pads on the top of the rack.

The Rack Back comes with 2"X2" Square tubing that spans across the truck bed from steak holder to stake holder. I put the PA 14 on that rack. (Bow Forward)

The other PA (12) goes into the truck bed stern first. I use a bed extender to support the bow of the PA12. (Im thinking I might run some 3 " PVC conduit !0 " spacing along the bed out to the bed extender for additional support.

Once my PA is loaded into the bed I slide the the upper PA aft to lower the bow (Wind Issues)

I strap down the upper PA with a ratchet strap threading it around the hull down through the drive whole around the rack and back up and around the other side.

The PA in the bed is simply "made fast"

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!