Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Any experience, comments or reviews would be appreciated.

Found them on sale and looks like it might work well on PA.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Lowarance Elite 4x DSI and really like it. No complaints at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All I can say is the box looks cool... I have two sitting in my living room waiting to go on or PA's. We purchased one w/ GPS and one w/ out. I would also love to hear any comments also. I am hoping to have my trailer finished this weekend so I can install everything. There will be some time to wait before we can try them out since we just received another 7 inches of snow :cry:

If you are looking, I ordered mine through Cabelas and with rebates and the club savings I had almost an extra $100 for more fun stuff.... I'm not sure if the deal is still going or not... Good Luck

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just came across this review that was very detailed....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-elec ... sions.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rbailen, let me know how you like yours when you get her up and running. Worked on my trailer a little more today.
Put together a parts list for the hardware and hope to pick it all up tomorrow. Should have her together and ready by next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds good... What will be your trailer setup? I am using the 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer and converting it w/ PVC bunks to hold two PA12's. I just about have the trailer put toghether. I took my time since I was removing some of the leaf springs to offer a little less payload, but it should be a softer ride??? I think :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are y'all able to use shoot-through-the-hull transducer placement with these? That doesn't work with side-scan, but I don't know about these newer generation down-scan units. I'm in a 2010 PA14 and already have so much stuff mounted on the rails and sideboards that I'm not anxious to use a Mad Frog outboard setup.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI I have two 2013 PA 12's that has the Lowrance ready scupper hole so for what I read the standard transducer should fit it perfectly, (yet to be installed) and have accurate temp readings. I love the shield Hobie put over the transducer to protect it from rocks and the sort. I'm still in the process of putting things together so no testing has been completed. In fact most of the lakes around here still have over a foot of ice on them so it may be a few weeks before I get to test everything out.... I have heard the side imaging could be a problem being in a scupper hole, but for what I have read the down imaging works pretty well. This is just what I have researched on the web so I still get nervous until I see it work. I can post info when it is all installed and tested...

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rbailen, picked up a double PWC trailer and doing a bunk/pvc conversion like is detailed on other post on this site.
Got a good deal on a like new Triton aluminum double PWC trailer and a little email help from Tom Kirkman on doing a conversion like his.
I have my trailer stripped of the old bunks and need to get into town and get my new hardware. Might as well replace everything new while I'm doing it.
I will only be hauling one boat so I'm putting a Thule auto top luggage carrier on the other slot to haul rods and other equipment. Will try to send you a pic when I get her finished. Might be a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lots of nice features and with maps and depth charts, so adding waypoints to get back to good fishing spots, or back to the boat ramp/ parking lot at night is very handy. Many color and display choices and being able to make out structure and fallen trees, etc is a big plus of the down scan imaging.... But, the downside of the 400/800 hertz scanning is the way fish are presented.... If you're used to a lesser unit that scans at 200 hertz, you're used to seeing big traces or a fish symbol when fish are in range...... With the DSI units, the fish traces are much smaller and tend to be dots that you have to get used to. All in all, it's a full featured unit that I'm glad I upgraded to primarily due to the GPS/mapping features.

"A wet bird never flies at night"